Could it really be? 57 Mahogany Shorthorns on eBay.

Piranha

The seller has that pair listed as if each speaker were sold individually (like a Dutch auction). See where it states "Quantity: 2 Available"

Anyone seriously interrested in bidding should certainly clear this up, or you might end up paying double!

Cool speakers, BTW. Who's close?

----------------

On 1/3/2005 6:19:32 AM Coytee wrote:

Well, it DOES say "Two Klipsch corner horn speakers selling as a pair."

10.gif

----------------

There in lies the confusion. I'd want to clear that up (i.e. have the fella change the terms of sale) before I bid. No reason to have to sort that out after the fact.

----------------

On 1/3/2005 11:35:30 AM seti wrote:

I would love to have a pair of these someday just to own a pair of klipsch history but how do they sound?
----------------

Get them for history not the sound. While other's may disagree - I find the top very thin and the bottom unimpressive. They are worth much as historical, but many would prefer the sound of Heresy comparatively.

All is IMHO

----------------

On 1/3/2005 11:35:06 AM Piranha wrote:

Gilbert,

What do you anticipate they will go for?

----------------

I'm affraid I can't even guess on this one....but I will be bidding if they're original on the inside. Seller has not yet responded to my back-door offer, or my request for additional photo's and information. We shall have to wait this puppy out.

I am very suspisious about the way he has the bidding shown on auction, (i.e. QUANTITY). Hope it's just an honest mistake. See Ya!

----------------

On 1/3/2005 2:05:41 PM Gilbert wrote:

Seller has not yet responded to my back-door offer, or my request for additional photo's and information.

----------------

This brings up an interesting question. We all know "back-door offers" are not allowed by eBay (although it's done all the time, hardly ever caught). Well, now that sellers have the option of plastering your question into their ad, doesn't it make you a bit nervous? I mean, I think one needs to be careful how the offer is worded, no? Just a thought.

Got a response from the seller. They made a mistake in the listing and have corrected it now. Apparently they are selling two speakers, one at a time in a Dutch auction.

I don't think that's a good way to do it, what if I won one of them but not the other. Maybe that's not possible, I don't know.

I asked if they would take the speakers apart to take pictures of the components, but I don't think they are willing too. Something was said about them not sounding as crisp as their new speakers.

Greg

I agree that they are for historical value more than sound. The descriptions of the sound above sound similar to what Sheltie Dave said about his Shorthorns. They were simply a design upon which Mr. Paul made considerable improvments in later generations.

Fini....I was politically correct with my backdoor offer, as I always to anticipate that exact sort of out come.

As mentioned previously, the seller made the mistake of listing them as a pair...therefore, It is a Dutch Auction as you mentioned. And the seller is not willing to verify the components, and the way he mentioned it leads me to believe they are not original. Can't be sure though. I sure hope someone from here scarf's them up.

Well, I gues the idea is to place your highest bid, say you want two, and figure on paying twice what your bid is.

I don't know why everyone is "dissing" the Shorthorn. Mine sound great - not up to a Cornwall, perhaps, but I'd take them over Heresies - the bass in particular has a much more effortless feel to it.

Gilbert,

Yes, on the few occasions where I have asked for a "deal", I've worded it to ask them if they'd consider changing the auction to a Buy-It-Now, thus not avoiding eBay fees. I leave the "offline deal" offers to them...