Whats a good DB level?

christjared

Depends what you mean by GOOD! The level you measured is loud enough to cause long term hearing damage and do it in short order.

A safer maximum would be around 100 db.

The level you describe is about 20X louder than 100db!

Turn it down before you hurt yourself.

I agree, that is over and above any concert level you're likely to find. Besides, as I recall, my dorm rooms were usually cement block walls, I can't imagine it sounding good to begin with, and if it's not good in the first place, why would you want more of bad sounding music?

Again, turn it down before you damage your ears and can't hear anything when you're older.

The move is to try for between 95 - 100 db at loudest.

Continued exposure can lead to Deafness, or Tinnitus.

Tinnitus is a condition of constant ringing in your ears. As it worsens with age you may have started out with a single tone, but you can move to multiple tones.

There are documented cases of the tinnitus becoming bad enough so that it literally can drive a person insane. My wife works for a Hearing and Speech Center.

I have had involvement with "Musicians Against Hearing Loss."

When you notice that for a couple of days it is hard to hear high end, your hearing has some damage.

dodger

Crank it up, don't listen the naysayers. What are we girliemen or real stereo buffs? What, are you talking to me? Speak up.

On the serious side I didn't think KG4's would get that loud. Are you sure you are using the right scale? Give more info please.

Randy

Using the City's SPL meter when I had my LaScalas, with ear protection, I hit 140 db with all 4, McItosh 60s to the bottoms and I stacked the 2nd set on top and used 240s strapped for mono. Tha sound was still clean.

Did that once for about 1 minute max.

dodger

I agree that your measurements are not accurate. If KG4's are rated at 94db at 1 watt, 1 meter, and every 3db increase requires a doubling of amplifier power, then my calculations indicate that 129 db is pretty farfetched. But I've been known to be wrong before.........just ask my wife.9.gif

94 db........1 watt

97 db........2 watts

100 db......4 watts

103 db......8 watts

106 db......16 watts

109 db......32 watts

112 db......64 watts

115 db......128 watts

118 db......256 watts

121 db......512 watts (at this point, the KG4 might be toast)

124 db......1024 watts

127 db......2048 watts

130 db......4096 watts (at this point, the listener is toast)

I'm aware that the room reflections increase the volume, but at the stated 129 db, the sound must be godawful.

Check those measurements again.

The loudest I measured with my 8 watt 300B SE amp driving my Cornwalls (right before clipping): 108dB.

The loudest I measured with my 25 watt SS McIntosh amp driving my Cornwalls (nowhere near clipping): 120dB.

A good level is anywhere between 90dB and right before earbleeding!3.gif

FACT:

Exposure to 120dB or higher for twenty minutes,

at a sitting, will cause permanent ear damage.

I am evidence for this statement,

for I have been a professional drummer since 1979

and my ears have taken their toll.

Please protect your foolish self ! I didn't !

----------------

On 1/6/2005 7:10:50 PM Colin wrote:

still too LOUD and unbeleivably painful!
----------------

Come on Colin not everyone has sensitive ears. I agree that I could not stand much of it now. But when partying at a college dorm the chicks are worth the pain 2.gif

Reminds me when I was stationed in the barracks in Germany...just bought my 200 WPC Carver amp and preamp, a Nakamichi DRAGON for my tapes, a Denon turntable, and my extremely capable JBL L112 Century II monitors. Without a sub, I could drown out everyone else's systems on practically all 3 floors...honest! Got complaints throughout the building all the time...9.gif

Damn, if I had bought the '84 Cornwall IIs at the PX, imagine the complaints I'd get all the way from the adjacent buildings!

No kidding turn it down. I've got tinnitus and there is nothing you can do for it. Probably from listening to 70's music too loud, lawnmowers without mufflers, and working in the oil patch. Believe me I love music but today it all comes with that constant background ringing. Oh and when you go to bed at night, it goes with you. Not cool at all. Now that I'm older and wiser, love jazz and have kids of my own, I can't stress enough the need to use hearing protection and to keep the volume within reason. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the great Klipsch sound, just don't overdoit.