Veneering?

m00n

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Band-it will bend easily around a 90 degree corner if the grain is lenght-wise (parallel to the corner) but will not bend against the grain. If you use the hot melt use a nice slow motion and have a rag behind the iron to keep the veneer down until it cools a little. You want to avoid long term dips that a flat sander will sand right through the very thin veneer. I know, I been there and done it. Its easy to get back off with the iron if you make a mistake. I know, been there and done it. You can edge butt two smaller pieces to make one big one lengthwise and fill the slight imperfections with plastic wood. I know, been there and done it. Once you get your first coat of stain on sand very carefully as you will create light-dark areas. I know, been there and done it. If you want the in between grain filled in use an appropriate grain filler as you will never be able to flatten it out as there is not enough thickness in the veneer. I know, been there and done it. If you are going to make a perfectly flat surface let the finish coats of miniwax

polyurethane sit for about at least 30 days to settle as if you smooth it out after about 24 hrs it will slowly settle and the grain will pop out. I know, been there and done it. If you use polyurethane (clear) I put on 6 coats sanding the first three with 220 grit orbital sander then the next two with 600 wet/dry (wet) then then the next with 1200 wet. Get some fine 3m buffing compound from the auto parts store with a 6" or 9" foam buffing pad (not cotton) and a buffing tool or grinder and buff with some water and clean off with white t-shirts. Everything in sight will get smuthered with flying polish but the finish will be like a mirror. Also tape off protection for any exposed speaker. Now you know why I would use Formica the next time.

JJK

My gawd... Sounds like a lot of work. Also, sounds like you want a formica type finish. I'm not going after that type of finish. I want a natural look. No gloss actually, I'm thinking about just applying the veneer sanding as necessary and oiling them up. BUT, I don't know if that's the best thing to do or not. I just know I don't want a glass like finish.

I usually make a big deal out of it. The video is short and in raw form. Close-ups were difficult.I'll mess with it and figure out how to post it up but I don't know when as I have about 6 large projects in the computer. It might be 6 months from now.

JJK

m00n,

I'm kidding a bit about the iron. It's just that having the iron in the shop, you might get other junk on it and the wife wouldn't be too pleased. But an iron is pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Have you looked at greg's website yet. Using the heavier veneer without any paper backing or adhesive already on it gives you more wood to work with once it is on the cabinet. This method it NOT like the iron on veneers you buy in the store.

Marvel

RickT and Rick m00n, Take a look at this adhesive. I used it on my Blueberry case for a test. Works wonderfully. It has a higher solids ratio than ordinary PVA, no fumes and no bleed through. I just followed these instructions:

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/iron-on-veneering.htm?osCsid=b134c502e813ef4aa1926a936b8cdcab

I must say that since I put that glorious figured walnut veneer on the Juicy Music Blueberry, the sound stage has just opened up as the mid-range glows and the highs shimmer, the bass tightens. I listened with all my usual trial cuts and found myself becoming so engrossed in the sound that I played the whole album. This is a "must have" tweak if you own a Juicy Blueberry.2.gif

RickW

I passed up a pair of Cornwalls up in Tennessee last year because of that reason Dean, rounded corners. The MDF was crumbly (technical term) and it seemed it would be impossible to repair the veneer to the area. I had thought about using wood bondo though.

Keith

Damaged MDF corners can be repaired by:

Remove the damaged,loose MDF then building up the corner with Bondo, file and sand to rebuild corner then veneering.

I can't post a pic for some reason. (Keep getting an error message from Klipsch server.) Maybe later.

Rick

We moved offices one time at the college where I work. Student workers moved my desk. THey dropped it on the way down some steps, and took off a pyramid shaped piece from one corner. You know, desktop - laminate on praticle board. It WAS a pretty nice desk. Our paintshop supervisor said he could do just that - build it up and put a matching finish on it. We haven't bothered with it. Now it has passed on to someone else.

I would have just removed the top, rotated it 180 degrees, and put it back doswn. Then the damage would have been against the wall. But it has cutouts for cables, etc., in the top, and nothing would have matched. I was pretty annoyed when it happened.

----------------

On 1/9/2005 4:44:18 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Damaged MDF corners can be repaired by:

Remove the damaged,loose MDF then building up the corner with Bondo, file and sand to rebuild corner then veneering.

I can't post a pic for some reason. (Keep getting an error message from Klipsch server.) Maybe later.

Rick

----------------

Better late than never.

corner16.jpg

A little sandin and maybe another coat and it's good to go. Whatsamatter? You don't like oaknblue? Maybe yez like blacknblue betta.6.gif

Ah fugetabotit!

Rick

post-12829-13819260195544_thumb.jpg