Corner Horn Attempt #2 (me likey!)

D-MAN

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D-MAN, I checked with my wife who is a color kind of person, she reckons because of the rich red color you have, anything but black would probably clash. You could consider a gold color cloth but of course this may not look real good on a pair of hi-fi speakers. Maybe a dark grey may look okay too. Definitely a suck and see scenario.

Absolutely beautiful and stunning work, D-Man. Those are instant family heirlooms if I ever saw them. Something to be passed down and enjoyed by future generations of your family. You might want to sign and date them somewhere on the inside and also hide a 'time capsule' that includes construction and room placement pix and maybe even include a printed copy of this thread.

And I bet they sound great as well. Congratulations. Hamish

DMAN....Thats a beautiful horn design. How about some thing unique in grill cloth color, Blue, Red, Metallic gold thread, Olive green, Be bold Its a bold imposing cabinet design...What are you going to name it? How about SLUGGO.

----------------

On 1/7/2005 1:50:31 PM D-MAN wrote:

----------------

On 1/7/2005 1:30:30 PM Colin wrote:

wow! who made the cabinets (I might have him make my tops, since I will need the same thing someday)

6.gif

----------------

Ouch! so you could tell it wasn't me, huh? LOL

Yeah, ok - I had a furniture/cabinet maker do these for me from my untested plans, as I (and evidently you, too) knew that I could not pull off the quality that I wanted.

The total for both pair, upper and lower cabinets came to $3000. Top frame is solid cherry (except the one ply part in the top back). He said if I had more built at a time, we could do better overall.

So did I get screwed?

DM
2.gif

----------------

Actually, IMHO at $3000 you got a bargain! The work is stunning! Thinking of selling plans?

I was thinking of your quest for a grill cloth color and thought maybe you could purchase some kraftpaper in assorted hues and cut out blanks so you and your wife can look at them at your leisure and pic one you both could live with. If you can't find the exact color paper you could try and find some spraypaint that is the "right" color and spraypaint the kraftpaper.

Man they are great looking speakers!3.gif If they sound as good as they look, WOW!

Randy

----------------

On 1/8/2005 7:32:54 AM krustyoldsarge wrote:

Actually, IMHO at $3000 you got a bargain! The work is stunning! Thinking of selling plans?

----------------

Yes, as part of my evil scheme, I have 36 pages of cutting and step-by-step construction plans for the bass cabinet. Question is how much?

DM2.gif

You obviously need to recoup your investment. The problem these days is that all someone needs is one copy and it oculd be on the internet withing two hours, for anyone to download.

Wayne Parham at Pi SPeakers will send you his plans (not as complex to be sure) just so he knows who has them. I has some of his plans, and could easily send them to someone else, but what's the point.

I would gladly pay a small fee for yours. Easier to build than Khorns? SOunds as good or better (subjective I know)?

Just don't do it until you get a patent on the design. Those cabinets are beautiful!!!

Marvel

I sort of expected the new set to be a plug-and-play operation, but that's not the way that it's turning out.

The new top cabinets are giving me fits (they were not much of a design consideration at the time). I am having a difficulty in getting set everything right, without scratching up that damn top!

I haven't tested them out, they might SUCK in reality.

You can't trust your ears (that's why there's Bose, of course). They sound good to me so far, but what do I know?

If they don't test well, I won't propagate them in any way.

Also, since I have them in front of me, I have new ideas and another design in mind, and for now, something satisfying to listen to and look at.

DM2.gif

Maybe i passed a discussion about the development of DM's horns and now i spend words, but i assume, DM folded the horn path about the triangular doghouse. Starting like the original Klipschorn but the first expansion is rotated at 90° then back in the corner and at least along the walls out of the corner - a double Z-Profile. With a horn simulation software you can start to build your own prototypes without having the exact plans. But that's more expensive like having the plan 9.gif

Bernd

Almost missed this thread. It's ABOUT TIME!! 2.gif

Seriously those are very beautiful looking corner horns... hope they measure up to your expectations. Were you using the JBL or the Beyma tweeter? I don't remember what you had as a mid either. I do remember the plywood. 2.gif

The upper mid bass would seem to be the logical improvement versus the Khorn... which was the objective of the Jubilee as well. Maybe it'll also allow you to raise the x-over point of the mid.

Keep us updated on your testing...

Rob