I have Failed! BOSE wins again.

Seadog

My neighbor down the street waved at me as I drove past this week, so I stopped and he approached the car with a big smile, I bought a sound system for myself for Christmas! he said to me. So, what did you get? I asked. The BOSE 3-2-1 System, he answered.

I was mortified. I had been talking with him for nearly a year about his plans to get an HT/music system. He had been to my house several times and had listened to my Klipsch Heritage HT, and the 2-channel set up with Cornwalls and tubes, etc. He had asked many questions, and at one point had said that when he got ready to buy, he wanted me to go with him to the local retailers to look around. I gladly agreed to help, but that never happened. Now he wants me to come by to hear his system (should I be nice and pretend to like it?).

Im not sure what convinced him to buy a BOSE system. I know he wanted less room-dominating speakers than my Cornwalls, but I had told him about the small but very good Klipsch HT systems that I had heard at the Indy trip in June. I dont know where I went wrong, but I feel personally responsible for losing this guy to the mediocre world of BOSE. Please dont banish me from the Forum for my failures. 15.gif

i say tell him the truth. say the bose sound ok but you can get much better for the money. it would be a nice way to say it and probably wouldn't make him feel bad. maybe he could buy the rsx stuff and do a comparo at his house with the bose(can he still return the bose?). then when he hears the diff between bose and the klipsch he'd take the bose back(hopefully!). he'd have to do the test blindfolded. otherwise if he knew which one is playing he'd just try to convince himself the bose are better.

you still have time to retreive him from the dark side.

good luck,

scp53

Actually, he is the one to live with the sound. If he is satisfied, that's all that really matters. It's not religion (with eternal consequences), where the wrong decision has a bigger impact on your life.

Marvel

Don't get too upset!

There are always people that will buy audio/video products based upon how they look compared to how they sound.

It is very possible that the significant other preferred the "no surround speakers and no wires all over the room" look compared to a traditional home theater.

So it sounds like crap - they've made their choice and will live with it - It wasn't your money that they spent!

I've given up long ago trying to convert the world to Klipsch. There are way too many people out there that either don't care about great sound or don't know what great sound really is.

If someone asks me for advice, I will be honest with them but I don't go out of my way to educate the world.

Besides - this means you still got the best sound system on the block!

9.gif

SeaDog----Yeah, but what if it really sounds good? It's possible you know.

Actually the Bose approach of using wide-range drivers augmented by subs has some virtues; elimination of crossovers in the midrange and coherence of sound. No doubt if Bose were using Fostex or Lowther drivers to implement thier designs people would be going ga-ga. Though if Bose made an improved Khorn some of you people would still hate it just because it was made by Bose.

Now I've not listened to any of these Bose systems so as far as I know they could sound pretty good, the last Bose speakers I heard were very good for the type, that type being a small 2-way 8" woofer and tweeter kind of thing.

As for being overpriced, well Bose has nothing on many "audiophile" approved speakers that cost thousands of dollars and use a couple of inexpensive Madisound catalog drivers. Try Wilson and Sonus. Why Hell, even the Klipsches beloved here use pretty cheesy drivers as horns go.

In any case the fella that bought the Bose rig is happy, that's the main thing ain't it?

I own a bunch of crap that other people don't like. Here's some - Fortes, Cornwalls, Heresies, ProMedia's, Rockets for my HT (that one's for you Minn 2.gif ), and today I'm having Terry Cain's Abbys delivered.

Think everybody likes Klipsch? Like you can tell from Tom's post, I bet his horn buddies would have something to say that you don't want to hear about every one of our sainted Klipsch speakers. (I'm also pretty sure Tom won't like my Abbys! Take a trip up Peterson one day, Tom. You're welcome to hear them any time. North Side hospitality.)

My point is the same as those above - I'm happy and I don't give a rat's *** about what other people think about how I spend my money. These things all suit my needs.

It's not your fault; you did what you could. I learned a long time ago that you can't save people from themselves. Your neighbor may be more interested in bragging to his friends (who have heard of Bose and its self-proclaimed accurate sound and probably haven't heard of Klipsch) than having a great sounding system. It's also possible that he really can't tell the difference between the two systems; he may not know what to listen for. Lot's of people who never listen to live UNAMPLIFIED music don't have any idea what it really sounds like. As far as they're concerned, crappy sounding music is supposed to sound crappy.

----------------

On 1/8/2005 11:38:28 AM kev313 wrote:

I own a bunch of crap that other people don't like. Here's some - Fortes, Cornwalls, Heresies, ProMedia's, Rockets for my HT (that one's for you Minn
2.gif
), and today I'm having Terry Cain's Abbys delivered.

----------------

Now - now....

Let's keep this forum clean! Don't mention the "R" word or the moderators will have to take action!!!

2.gif

"inexpensive Madisound catalog"

As far as raw drivers go some of these are NOT cheap relative to some domestic brands.

E.G. Dynaudio, Scanspeak, Eton etc. They are, however state of the are re: engineering, build quality etc.

Guest Anonymous

honestly i would lie to him and tell him that its not bad, because he could get very offended, basically there is no point in burning your bridges because you and the rest of us here disaprove of his well whatever you call it

----------------

On 1/8/2005 11:11:46 AM TBrennan wrote:

SeaDog----Yeah, but what if it really sounds good? It's possible you know.

Ha,nothin' personal TB but damn if you ain't got alot of nerve,you bash hell out of rf7's then say its possible a POS really sounds good?

Most dealers have a 30 money back and/or exchange guarantee. See if your friend's does.

Then get your *** over there and set him straight!

(I've had friends who were "talked into" something else by a salesperson. Eventually they took the stuff back and bought Klipsch, so there is "Hope", pun intended)

16.gif