Mac insanity continues SELL SELL

scott0527

This baby doesn't even come with the slant leg cabinet7.gif Darn good thing I went on my pristine McIntosh spree 2 years ago. Heck I used to see nice ones like this go for 2K regularly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5742269267&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

PS. Amy, do I have to say things like "darn" and "heck". Sounds so hayseedy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far from lame. They're becoming more collectable these days and many are being bought by overseas buyers, thereby driving up prices. The MC240 I hooked up tonight sounded great I must admit. I've owned 3 and this is by far the best sounding. Many folks love the Mac sound. It does have a signature of its own and mates well with Klipsch.

Yes, they are not lame at all. Used to be you could spend a couple thousand on a C22 and have an outstanding preamp that would only go up in value as long as you took care of it. You wcan't get that with any new piece of gear. There certainly looks like a crew of 8-10 bidders out there right now driving up the prices of all the "classics" that are in pristine condition. There was a beatiful Marantz 7C with all original documents that sold for $5500+ recently. That's over twice what they sold for as recetnly as last year. Same guy paid $1500 for a Garrard 301. Again, they seem to be inerested in only the mintier units.

Gary,

Wow, where did you come up with the 240 and C11? That's a great combination.

I am interested into venturing into tubes at some point, I don't know if 30 watts would cut it for me though, I realize they probably pump out more than 30 watts though. They look nice, but are they worth the $1500? Would it be worth a bid on these things or are there much better choices, like Luxman, Dynaco, Marantz, etc. I would like to run my Klipschorn mains with tube power at some point.

I don't have the background in tubes like I do with many other audio related items though.

Frzninvt

Unless you have a room the size of Paul's, then 30W will do fine with your Cornwalls and even better with the rest of your equipment. In my 16' x 13' room the MC-30's are more than loud enough and have never been above 1:30 on the volume knob.

----------------

On 1/18/2005 1:07:52 PM Dflip wrote:

Frzninvt

Unless you have a room the size of Paul's, then 30W will do fine with your Cornwalls and even better with the rest of your equipment. In my 16' x 13' room the MC-30's are more than loud enough and have never been above 1:30 on the volume knob.

----------------

Noting that doubling the power only gives you about 3 db more, with my MC 60s in the winter, doors windows closed with the LaSaclas I had, my neighbor across the street would call with requests. I use hearing protection.

The MC 60s were not even breathing hard.

As I noted, Tube gear has been going across the sea for years. It's one of those things when you need a part and it comes from Hong Kong but was made only about 4 hours from you.

I will state that my MC 30s did go across the sea. To a very good home - Wolfram's. Otherwise, they would still be Stateside.

dodger

As a McIntosh owner there is the part I noted but would like to emphasize.

Selling McIntosh overseas is great if you know the person buying. That they will get a good home.

My problem has been sales to those overseas that only turn them around and sell back to us at a large mark-up.

That is true of all of the tubed units.

Also another reason for higher prices may be fewer local dealers carrying new or used tubed units. One dealer in a suburb in the past showed a large number of new tubed units. Now there may be one, possibly one or two used.

Thus the market for any tubed units will be increasing and prices will go in hand.

I believe in making a profit, but price gouging and the increases in unit cost and parts cost versus the source of them hurts all of us.

Somehow if possible see that they get a good home. If any do leave this continent I wish they would go to a home as great as Wolfram provides.

dodger

Yes, Allan, I do occasionally like it loud, but usually the volume control on the Mapletree only goes to about 11:30 - 12:00. But for that rare occasion, there is still lots left in the tank. I think I read somewhere that the 30W was a conservative figure and the actual output is a bit more. More than enough power for most rooms, except for certain colourful birds. 9.gif

What size room will you be using it in?

The 30s will probably peak at an average 38 watts. If you go to KT-66s or the 300 family, you may gain 4 or 5 watts - cleanly.

Unless you really want it loud, the 30s should work. There were 3 models, one that would need a slight modification for the 300 Family.

Russ at Audio Classics can tell you.

dodger