McIntosh and Khorns

garymd

TOO MANY QUESTIONS................AMP OVERLOAD........HELP!!!!!

Seriously, we had a hard time fitting the siltechs on the RCA jacks of the marantz as they only protrude about halfway out the back so I should remember which jacks. Oh yeah, regular outputs. The "Test" outputs were just below, right?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary is to be commended for building the zebrawood cabinets that he hides his bose in.9.gif

Seriously, I know Gary is a straight shooter with his McIntosh opinions.

He had a heck of a sounding system with his Cornwalls. Should write a treatise on the care of wood and also careful moving of Speakers.

Great write-up all. The truth though is out, poor Gary has been relegated to the basement for LP purchases.3.gif

A very serious note of support.

Win

Thanks Win! Yes, it's basement duty for me but a man needs his space, right?

The 240 and C11 are officially sold. Thanks to all for your kind comments and helpful information. It was nice having the units to listen to for a few days and having the guys over for the "shootout."9.gif

Picked up my new dustcover this morning. Thanks Thebes!!!! It's perfect!16.gif

Guy, we used the regular inputs not the test ones. I tried both inputs at home-having read online that the test ciruit was unfiltered- but it was running directly off a cd player that has a volumne control and quite frankly the sound was hardly optimal. The 8B might just need some basic housekeeping, which will occur after I obtain a preamp so I can compare before and after. At Gary's the bass was to my ears flabby bordering on boomy, and Larry noticed a problem in the mid to upper ranges which I'm not technical enough to really understand but perhaps he will describe it for us so I can keep it in mind. Again there were a few other problems I noticed but overall they sounded like this is going to be a great addition to the Thebes household.

By the way I've put out two feelers for a Dyanco Pas 3 preamp, haven't heard anything back, but I've had a couple of calls this week putting my income stream back on track and I was thinking of stretching a little farther up the food chain. The Conrad Johnson seems reasonable, but I guess I want something a little more vintaging looking to go with the 8B. Any further good suggestions for me?

Guy, you are de bomb. Used the "Test" inputs and the 4 ohm taps and a big difference. Still not as clear as I would like it but withouy a pre it's hardly an optimal setup.

I also pulled the trigger on a Conrad Johnson PV3 (there were no 5's around the web at this time), seems to be in good shape and will hold the fort while I save up for a Blueberry.

This 8B is the first, first class stuff I've had in my system and my ears are still getting used to it. The depth and wideness of the soundstage is incredible. My ears keep trying to stretch out to the side to catch the music to my left and right. I'm thinking I might be able to spread my speakers out wider.

Better yet The Twins just got home from visiting Uncle Sugar er Harry (that's how they say it not me-I'm getting mor and more supspicous) they saw the Marantz, immediately sat down on the floor in front of it, leaned way forward (always a wonderful thing to see) and went into a sort of a head-bobbing trance.

Thans again for all your help further reports will keep coming until you are all thorougly sick of me, if you aren't already.

thebes, get that thing in for overhaul soon. God forbid that you should trance out (watching the twins, that is) and that same tube socket go crazy (depending on whether it was the tube or the socket or just seating connection). I still remember that hum then the hiss as I called to Larry and he pointed to the glowing EL34. Did you reseat/rotate all the tubes just to clear away any possible oxidation? You gotta get that Marantz in for a physical soon. Don't play with fire! We would all mourn the loss of that amp!

I write this as I wax about my ST-70 that I told you about. I got about two months of enjoyment out of that amp, using it sparingly. Then I fell asleep while listening to it late at night and woke up to a loud hum over the speaks. It melted a cap (original stock) and I sold it as-is because I was too cheap to fix it.