2/3 of my CD's sound like crap

jpm

----------------

On 1/28/2005 7:32:02 PM DeanG wrote:

...I didn't want Austin to be without tunes while I did the rebuild, so I lent him a set of Auricap loaded RF-7 networks that I had just got done rebuilding. After he loaded them up and did some listening -- there was some interesting discussion between us -- he hears very good. After I finished rebuilding his boards I went over to do the install, and to have a healthy listen to the RF-7's using my standard rebuild. It was very depressing for me -- I should never have sold them.

----------------

Offer Austin your Khorns for the RF-7s.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!

Only two thirds of your CeeDees sound like crap? Consider yourself lucky. If a CeeDee DOESN'T sound like crap then it's an apparition or, at best, an accident.

100% of my CeeDees sound like CRAP when, where, and on whatever I've played them. My 15 year old Son knows this too, that's why at the tender age of 5 or 6 he said "Daddy, do you think Santa Claus might bring me a record player like yours, this Christmas, 'cause all my CeeDees you gave me sound like crap". Needless to say, Santa came through. Funny, my Beautiful Daughter has never lodged that complaint, but she only listens to girl singers under the age of 19. Go figure.

Well anyway, CeeDees sound like CRAP because they are CRAP, it's the nature of the Beast. Even CHILDREN know that.

Out of the mouths of Babes,

Analogman

----------------

On 1/28/2005 8:35:34 PM analogman wrote:

WOW!

Only two thirds of your CeeDees sound like crap? Consider yourself lucky. If a CeeDee DOESN'T sound like crap then it's an apparition or, at best, an accident.

100% of my CeeDees sound like CRAP when, where, and on whatever I've played them. My 15 year old Son knows this too, that's why at the tender age of 5 or 6 he said "Daddy, do you think Santa Claus might bring me a record player like yours, this Christmas, 'cause all my CeeDees you gave me sound like crap". Needless to say, Santa came through. Funny, my Beautiful Daughter has never lodged that complaint, but she only listens to girl singers under the age of 19. Go figure.

Well anyway, CeeDees sound like CRAP because they are CRAP, it's the nature of the Beast. Even CHILDREN know that.

Out of the mouths of Babes,

Analogman

----------------

it is NOT "the nature of the beast".... it is your opinion... you are entitled to your opinion that all CD's sound like crap...

i guess your system can't handle the dynamics, fast transients, and clarity that CD's can provide... that is my opinion

because i do have some outstanding CD's that sound very, very good on my system... as well as others that sound very poor...

I agree that some CDs are of poor quality. There are lots of high quality CDs that provide excellent sound from good systems.

The CD would not be dominant, if it were ipso facto inferior. There are many inferior technologies that have died such as the eight track tape. The CD will be here for a long time to come because it does the job.

Bill

----------------

On 1/28/2005 9:18:36 PM analogman wrote:

----------------

On 1/28/2005 8:49:38 PM Olorin wrote:

All generalizations are false, too.

----------------

How's this:

A great deal of people here take themselves far too seriously.

Generally speaking,

Analogman

----------------

and others here post juvenile comments

----------------

On 1/28/2005 9:17:07 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

I agree that some CDs are of poor quality. There are lots of high quality CDs that provide excellent sound from good systems.

The CD would not be dominant, if it were ipso facto inferior. There are many inferior technologies that have died such as the eight track tape. The CD will be here for a long time to come because it does the job.

Bill

----------------

You mean like Beta and reel to reel?

In need of Enlightenment,

Analogman

It could be something as simple as an interconnect. I couldn't believe the difference in harshness on some. All my cd's sound like crap right now, because I am just using my dvd player. The DAC's are crap in it(onkyo). Maybe you could get an external DAC. I just hate seeing someone spending that kind of money for a sound that should be obtainable for much less. If you descide on a used ss amp look into a B&k st-140 classic amp. It's pretty sweet. http://stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/675/ very affordable also. I own one and it's a real fine amp. The review is pretty close to what they sound like. Mine isn't the 70 watter though I have the 105 per channel. Which may be had for less I don't know. It doesn't have tons of bass but it's pretty acurate and full.I can't wait to hear it with a good source. Anything hooked up to it besides the onkyo sound fantastic.

----------------

On 1/28/2005 7:33:15 PM edwinr wrote:

----------------

On 1/28/2005 1:09:53 PM jpm wrote:

...we're at the mercy of the dude that mixed the music we listen to. Somehow it just doesn't seem fair.

----------------

We ARE at the mercy of these 'dudes'. I wouldn't say 2/3 of my collection is unplayable on my Klipschorns. But I would say 15 to 20%. After I bought my Klipschorns I realised how bad the recording quality was on many CD's I owned. These CD's now reside with my upstairs system.

Don't despair. CD recording quality is improving out of sight. Now probably 1 out of 5 of my CD purchases are ordinary. In the past the ratio was much higher.

----------------

Right you are,

"They" are currently doing about 85% of all production work in the ANALOG domain using antiquated tape machines updated by totally ZANY, KNOW NOTHING guys like Tim de Paravicini!

Regards,

Analogman

Finally, this is getting good. The 'ole vinyl vs. digital debate is almost as fun as SET vs. PP or Heritage v. Reference or for some of the HT people: Klipsch subs v. SVS. Expecting Smilin' to chime in any second on this. As for me, I like the mellow approach of vinyl but also love the detail and soundstage of good CDs. Of course, there are bad CDs just like there are bad LPs. Yes, CD can be done well with horns - but a nice preamp and tubes (and a pocketbook) helps. Oh, and yeah, do not forget the crossovers.

Just ask Mark how many of us have bought his Peach. No phono stage there, but juicy just the same.

Carl.

----------------

On 1/28/2005 9:40:05 PM cjgeraci wrote:

Finally, this is getting good. The 'ole vinyl vs. digital debate is almost as fun as SET vs. PP or Heritage v. Reference or for some of the HT people: Klipsch subs v. SVS. Expecting Smilin' to chime in any second on this. As for me, I like the mellow approach of vinyl but also love the detail and soundstage of good CDs. Of course, there are bad CDs just like there are bad LPs. Yes, CD can be done well with horns - but a nice preamp and tubes (and a pocketbook) helps. Oh, and yeah, do not forget the crossovers.

Just ask Mark how many of us have bought his Peach. No phono stage there, but juicy just the same.

Carl.

----------------

What Debate? 2.gif

Regards,

Analogman

----------------

On 1/28/2005 9:21:42 PM minn_male42 wrote:

----------------

On 1/28/2005 9:18:36 PM analogman wrote:

----------------

On 1/28/2005 8:49:38 PM Olorin wrote:

All generalizations are false, too.

----------------

How's this:

A great deal of people here take themselves far too seriously.

Generally speaking,

Analogman
----------------

and others here post juvenile comments

----------------

Hey hey now, stop whimpering, you'll ruin your makeup.

Everything's going to be all right, I promise,

Analogman

----------------

On 1/28/2005 10:20:42 PM DeanG wrote:

Most crappy sounding CD's these days sound pretty good to me. Gimme that old time compression baby.

----------------

I agree!?

It's just the hearing loss and headaches I can't stand!

2.gif2.gif

Regards,

Analogman

Tubes wear out; gee I own more than a few that are 40 years old.

poor desgn and poor maintainance maybe

a cd transport laser has a much shorter life

================

an old Marantz or HK twin SS is better than Denon, more warm

========================

mainstream commercial music compression...sucks

CD price should be refunded!