Lescalas

lee1

Hi Lee,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about all the wise guy answers - at times we get a little punchy around here.

Anyway, you can use dynamat and a hair dryer to damp those midhorns very well. Tough to get it off, so make sure it's what you want.

Do you have a complaint about the way they sound? The damping routine may be a waste of time and money. What crossover do you have?

Andy

HELLO FREAK ,BOUGHT THE lascalas ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO , the crossovers are the aa type (year of speakers are 1977)no proplem with the speakers (they realy kick butt )just been doing some research on speakers and a lot of people say if you dampon the box's and the horns you will basicaly emprove your speaker sound ? i'm running a 400cx2 fisher preamp and a set of quick silver8417 amps( all tube system )thanks for reply lee13.gif

Lee, use rope caulk. only about 5-10 bucks and completely removable. If you do not like it take it off. What good is a mod. if you have to make it permanent before you know if you like it with no turning back. If you do like the Rope caulk and want something more permanent then add the dynamet.

You can purchase rope caulk at Home Depot, Lowe's, or True Value hardware stores. A $5 box covers 90 feet. Two K400 horns require about 3 boxes total ($15 investment). You wrap the horns by unrolling the rope caulk and applying it to the horns with hand pressure. Very easy to do (and undo).

It'll be located in the section where they sell gaskets and weatherstripping materials for doors and windows. (Near the foam tapes. Not the tubes of silicone or acrylic caulking.)

Here's a quote from a box manufactured by Mortite: "Can also be used as gasketing material, seam filler, crack filler, sound deadener, insect barrier, and general plugger-upper."

Lee,

I like that Scala year and crossovers. Damping the horns may be a good idea, albeit differences will likely be small once the placebo effect has worn off.

The best tweak for the La Scala, IMHO, is a good subwoofer as the bass horn will not really get the last octave (I'm not insulting the La Scala, it is just the trade-off of a high efficiency, smaller bass horn).

Filling the last octave will smooth out the whole system because of the improved overall tonal balance.

Again welcome to the forum.

Andy

Lee, I am doing this mod. as we speak. It helped my ist pair of Horns and now I am performing it on the 2nd. I also think you would really like the ALK or A crossovers. I am not trying to spend your money but you will not waste any on these 2 changes. Once you do it let us know if you do not feel the same way.