Feather Ruffling Time: A CD Player is a CD Player is a CD Player

fletcherkane

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oscarsear:

I think I understood... You are saying that the Tri-Vista DAC has a better DAC than the Jolida?

If so...Did you try all three players in the external dac? I bet they would all sound the same at this point.

A while ago I did a test with all players I had in my house, including a few DVD players, all using digital out to my receiver.

All sounded the same, with one exception... a cheap & heavily abused APEX DVD player that has been on many camping trips with me. It sounded very grainy.... best guess is that the transport is very jittery? Who knows....

Edit: Whoops... in the first line... I meant to say "better SOUNDING DAC"

Oh no - we are corrupting another one! Dont do it - this way lies maddness and huge expense.

Good spot though - to whomever figured he was using the digital outs. Fooled the hell out of me for sure. I have at least 7 possible, whoops no, 10 possible CD sources in the house right now and no 2 sound the same. I got soft, hard, bassy, not so bassy, totally crap, fairly crap, average, moderate, musical and weird.

One day I will spend some money and get decent.

----------------

On 2/7/2005 2:16:02 PM Colin wrote:

so the converse is also true - if he HEARD a difference with the digital outs (using the reciver's DAC).: then something is wrong!
;)

----------------

Hmmm. Hey now. Using the digital out he "should" still hear a difference, right? I mean why do some schmoes spend thousands on a transport? Uh, jitter and some other issues right?

We are so anal. While some are satisified with a $39 boombox, we obsess endlessly, always stiving to achieve a Nirvana which doesn't exist; kind of like that Utopian life some seek.

anarchist, I once believed that most gear sounded the same. Not anymore. I think one can take it to a sensible $$$ level... that's what I'm attempting to do right now, and hear better sound as one buys better gear. Then it's a huge $$$ jump to the next level... which I for one will not shoot for.

Lets just say that you should enjoy the short time you have before you start hearing differences in all sources.I have a Technics dvd A110,20 lbs,for cds it best my 2900 by quite a bit,which outperfoms my Pioneer 563 by quite a bit.This is a difference just about anyone can hear.I gotta say though I only use anolog cables and not digital,thats why the difference is clearly audible between players.As for the difference in digital its not so clearly evident.

I think the single most important aspect of an audio system is the speakers by a long shot! In my limited experiance, good speaks will make almost anything sound good, almost. I've owned all sorts of solid state gear over the years, and have found good and not so good equipment does make a difference. When I found Klipsch, it was harder to tell the lesser equip. apart from the better stuff. The speakers alone made all of it sound good in it's own way. Go figure, I hope that made sense.

I'm afraid to even listen to tubes, as I am a very "addictive personality", and I cannot afford to head down that road. Thankfully the growing Klipsch collection that I have makes my audio sound fabulous, or I'd be in trouble...

I dunno about all of them, but I just recently went from a 6 year old Pioneer 525 to a new Sony 775 SACD/DVD player, both entry level, I guess, and there is a very noticable difference. the new one is quite a bit cleaner sounding from top to bottom. Enough of a difference that I went out and bought another for the system downstairs . My 14 year old son said the next day how he noticed the sound and picture were better. Maybe the old Pioneer was diein' and I didnt know it ...... funny part is the Sony was caught on an after Christmas sale at Circuit city for 99 bucks, what a good way to enter into sacd and beyond!!

----------------

On 2/7/2005 9:48:50 PM jpm wrote:

Speaking of SACD, is it around for the long haul, or do you guys think it's on the way out?

----------------

despite what some gloom-sayers are preaching on other forums, i think it will be around for awhile....

you might have to order your discs, but there is plenty of titles out there..... over 2700 and going up everyday

http://www.sa-cd.net/

9.gif

----------------

On 2/7/2005 1:36:27 PM jpm wrote:

fletcherkane, all the "big boys", of which I'm not, tell me to run cables analog for best sound. This also includes a sub, if you have one. Remember the big old analog cell phones we all started out with (assuming you're old enuf)? They sounded terrific. Now our new tech. digital cell phones sound like crap, but do have better range. Same deal.

----------------

maybe this situation is different....

if you have a newer prepro/receiver, you could be very well served by using the digital inputs....

you definitely want to use the better DAC.... if you have a $10,000 CD player - then use the analog outputs.... if you have an outboard DAC - you will need to use the digital output from the player to the DAC.....

if you have an older CD player and a very new receiver - use the digital output.... let the newer DAC in the receiver do the conversion....

BTW - my new GSM digital cell phone sounds a heck of alot better than the analog one i had many years ago....

1.gif

Guest Anonymous

whenever i hear posts of this nature the first thing that comes to mind is use better equipment. I do believe that the law of diminshing returns, but if you have really sensitive equipment ie aragon or conrad johnson or whatever your poisen is, you will hear a difference in much sense you get what you pay for you just have to find what is the best value for the money, i probably wouldn't be able to hear a difference with my system, but i think given a much better system then what i have i certainly would be able to hear the difference between a 30 dollar cd player and an 800 dollar one. also despite the fact that most people here believe wire is wire, it can make a difference too. But keep in mind of the law of diminishing and value for the money.... anyways my 2 cents

Anarchist - Count me as a schmoe with a high dollar transport and, yes, they can make a difference. After moving from a Rega Planet to Levinson 37 as the transport to my MF Trivista the playback became noticeable more articulate (without being overanalytical or "harch" and "edgy") with a far more forward presentation.

----------------

On 2/7/2005 11:51:14 PM Joe Shmoe wrote:

"Hmmm. Hey now. Using the digital out he "should" still hear a difference, right? I mean why do some
schmoes
spend thousands on a transport? Uh, jitter and some other issues right?"

Transport? I don't have no stinking transport.

2.gif

----------------

joe is right!

and that is one of the reasons that the few i-link players out there have been raved over because of their "jitterless" playback of all the digital discs....

SACD, DVD-audio, dVD, and CD.... all can have playback problems because of jitter.... the i-link (IEEE 1394) connection is actually a two way connection... the receiver and the player actually talk to each other to eliminate all the jitter problems....

the improvement over the analog outputs compared to the i-link is very noticable..... the i-link is also much better over the normal coax and toslink digital connection....

manufacturers that are offering receivers and/or universal players are pioneer elite, yamaha, denon, onkyo, integra, samsung, and sony. some of the units will not pass SACD but that is a licensing issue and not a technical issue....

1.gif

----------------

On 2/7/2005 11:15:30 PM kev313 wrote:

Anarchist - Count me as a schmoe with a high dollar transport and, yes, they can make a difference.

----------------

I knew we had a few on here with high dollar transports. It only stands to reason it makes a difference and whether all here realize it or not, we all try to select a better transport. For many, the overwhelming factor is the DAC but most will immediately push aside the cheap transport regardless of DAC.

I am thinking of picking up a Cambridge 640c myself despite all the hype over $39 players. Still battling whether I can go the 640c route or if I must have a tubed CD player.

A CD player is a CD player; use another frame of reference - a woman is a woman. We can all remember some who were better than others... not even necessary to articulate exactly why.