Heresy - old-fashioned or still up to date?

dr-dezibel

Some of my friends say my speakers are old fashioned and even out of date.

I brought my Heresys to my local dealer and did some listening with the actual reference speaker line from rf25 up to the rf7. The dealer wanted to convince me to trade the Heresys for the rf7.

After having connected a sub I miss nothing on them and in the midrange they are even better than rf7 (IMO).

Now I ask you people: can the Heresy keep up with the newer speakers in stereo and HT?

They are still in production, so can I recommend them to others without regret?

----------------

On 2/8/2005 9:06:09 AM dr-dezibel wrote:

"After having connected a sub I miss nothing on them and in the midrange they are even better than rf7 (IMO)."

----------------

Sounds like your ears already gave you the answer! I wouldn't let anyone talk me out of my ChorusII's or even my KG4's.

Hang out around here, pretty sure there are a few guys on the forum with Heresy HT systems.

Technology moves on but the laws of physics don't change, those Heresy's will leave many of the current offerings from a number of manufacturer's in the dust. The only thing I would do to bring those speakers into the 21st century is upgrade the crossover network components. My '62 Cornwalls are all original stock and can still belt it out after 43 years, not too many manufacturer's can make that claim.

I will put my antique designed Khorn's against anything out there right now in their price range and above.

My school just went through the same thing.... we had a quote for a new sound system for just over $12,000. The dealer got mad when I wanted to go with a pair of "old fashion" La Scala's instead of his big $$$ JBL's. When I found a pair of 77' industrials, he asked if he could come down with the JBL's & do a test.

He lost 16.gif

We now have 3 pairs of Las here, the band director bought my extra pair of Heresy's from me for his home, & the principal has ordered a pair for his home.

Lack of video shielding is the only major flaw in the Heresy. Some of the newer TVs are not adversely affected by the magnets in speakers.

The huge advantage of the Heresy is its small size which limits bass performance. A good subwoofer can fix this sonic flaw, lack of bass.

Bill

----------------

On 2/8/2005 9:06:09 AM dr-dezibel wrote:

Some of my friends say my speakers are old fashioned and even out of date.

I brought my Heresys to my local dealer and did some listening with the actual reference speaker line from rf25 up to the rf7. The dealer wanted to convince me to trade the Heresys for the rf7.

After having connected a sub I miss nothing on them and in the midrange they are even better than rf7 (IMO).

Now I ask you people: can the Heresy keep up with the newer speakers in stereo and HT?

They are still in production, so can I recommend them to others without regret?

----------------

My K-Horns were desinged 60+ years ago and they still sound pretty good.

My tube amp is 40 years old and sounds better than my $4,000 Denon 5800 receiver.

You figure it out.

Chris

----------------

On 2/9/2005 6:42:19 AM dr-dezibel wrote:

Thanks people, that’s what I wanted to hear.

But would you recommend the Heresys to someone who is looking for NEW speakers. Or would you steer him towards the reference line (rb75 as size is nearly equal or the floorstanding models)?

----------------

It truly would depend on taste.

I borrowed a pair of E-V and a pair of Mackie's - both pro monitors/P.A.. I compared them to theheresys.

Other than some bass, The 1982 Heresys won 6 pair of ears, 0 no votes.

dodger

Recently a salesman here in Indy, Ovation Audio Castleton store, bought a new pair of Heresy II's. They are in the "high end" showroom. I have to tell you other than say a 10K pair of speakers also in the room (names omiitted to prove a point here) hooked up to superior amp and pre amp they were just awesome. And no sub either! and to my surprise great bass. We played some great music and I just smiled a lot at how wonderful they were.

Look.... In the end, it is your ears that matter.

No salesman ahh shucks you need this will matter to you in the long run. Your ears happiness will!

If you ever really fall in love with the Heritage sound.. it will be with you a lifetime! PWK Rest in Peace!

Just picked up my new Heresy II's today. They will become my surrounds to go with my K-horn mains. The fit and quality of the cabinet looks outstanding. The stands are reversible without any modification and the screw holes line up. This works great for me since the speakers are being mounted up on shelves on my back wall. The reversed stands tip them down to point them at my listening position.

Personally, I've listened (just recently!) to a pair of Heresy IIs, and I prefer the rb-75s because of their detail and, IMHO, more bass extension. But! It is clearly a matter of opinion, so I second the post above that recommends you send your friend to audition both before making a purchase. Certainly the Heresys sound excellent, and I wouldn't be ashamed to own a pair, they just aren't my first choice compared with (some) Reference line speakers. But I admit to being a Reference-o-phile.

Scott