SPEAK UP!

thebes

I love the art-deco type looks of a lot of the really old gear. Take this one for instance:

grundigmike.jpg

When you look at this you can almost imagine the Nazi spy hunched over his shortwave, cigarette dangling form his lips, as he reaveals the location of fini's secret console stash.

So anybody got any cool pics of old stereo gear, mikes, the set from Frankenstein etc. to share?

PS. Got a customer who has Edward R. Murrow's original Mike, very cool.

post-14801-13819261726424_thumb.jpg

DSCN1051_cans_.jpg

Here's a pair of vintage "cans" made by the Newton Pressed Steel & Mfg. Co. out of Newton, MA (called "Superette") that I use for my all-tube shortwave radio my dad built for me several years ago. Don't know when they were manufactured...maybe between the late '20s to the '40s. Sound horrible and are as uncomfortable as hell! But they still work.4.gif

post-11084-13819261727114_thumb.jpg

Cool mic, Marty. I have a drawerful of somewhat less aesthetically pleasing examples. I call it my "futz drawer". If I'm recording, and I want something to sound a bit wrong, I reach for the futz drawer rather than a knob. More time consuming, but much more convincing. I've got a few old crappy speakers I use towards the same end.

Friend of mine has an oooold brass western electric carbon (I think?!) mike. I always tell him he should proudly display it instead of it being buried at the back of the room along with all the other unused hi-fi gear..

Looks-wise, I'd have to say my favorite mikes are the old Neumans from just before WWII, and of course, the U-47.

Allan - you sure you didn't get that from a local drive in theater?

Now that brought on a flashback like memory spurt - I learned so much from seeing movies at the drive in. It was my first on several levels:

Criminal - getting in via the car trunk

Hoosier - lawn chairs in the back of the pick up

Drinking - What else do you do on Saturday night with the fifth showing in 5 weeks of Kelly's Heros?

Sex - no specifics, use your imagination....

Allan - Quite strange! After reading this thread last night I actually went looking for a radio nurse through various online modern seller sites I frequent (incl. ebay).

Sadly, none to be found. I do recall seeing one on ebay within the last year, however.

This was my fathers wire recorder. It still works fine, & has a surprisingly good sound.

Wire recorder.jpg

Wire recorder2.jpg

In one of the boxes around here, there is a wire reel with me, 5 years old, singing the theme to "Green Acres". My family has been never let me forget about that.

Guest Anonymous

have any of you seen the "octogonal end table speakers" these things weight a ton and then some they had a 15' downfiring driver and a bnuch of midranges right above it, and then the top was a huge piece of marble or granite or somehing, they were like 1100 bucks in 70's when they came out