And people wonder why I don't step 1 foot on airplanes

m00n

Guest Anonymous

i am not sure what the fear is all about, my family has about 4 private pilots and 2 small planes in the family and it has never bothhered me once! and my uncle used to fly satabrias which is is rated for airbatics and what not! i guess i just don't understand the fear, humm

Kenratboy.....we're on the same radar scope (pun intended). You're correct planes do drop from the heavens much less frequently. I'm correct...when they do it's pretty close to 100%adios amigo(a)s. I think that adds alot to the fear factor of flying. Survivability in a plane crash is quite bad. Worse than train wrecks and worse than auto accidents. But because auto accidents occur at a much greater frequency their contribution to the total number of fatalities is higher than any other form of transportation even prorated for miles traveled (I think).

So yeah, Moon take consolation is the fact that planes do not fail in flight a whole bunch...but,...if one does better have your life insurance paid up.2.gif

m00n, That picture should be reassuring not frightening. That looks like a Boeing 737. With the engine cowling torn away and the substantial drag presented, the aircraft is on a straight, level and controlable course at what looks like 10-15,000ft heading for a safe landing on one engine, thus the picture!

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/Boeing737.jpg

Rick

post-12829-13819261761394_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 2/10/2005 7:09:07 PM j-malotky wrote:

Moon

Thats nothing. Although I agree that it looks odd, and some maintenance man probably lost his job over this. Engines can run fine w/o there cowling. When I am working on my planes, I fly them all the time w/o cowlings and other mostly cosmetic parts.

JM

----------------

Uh huh.. That's good and all, but when you're a passenger and you see parts ripping off the plane... Well... CMon, what's going to start going through your mind? After I crapped my pants, my next thought would be what's coming off next.

I've heard it said that no one has ever had a head-on with a cloud but then again, no one has ever fallen 30,000 ft. out of a Desoto. -- just kidding.

Somebody forgot to latch down the nacelle. Not a pretty picture...

Anyway, my brother is an engineer for General Electric Aircraft Engines in Cincinnati (part of town called Evendale. Not far from P&G's Ivorydale plant). It's his job to find and cure all abnormal vibrations found in new engines. So yea, he's seen a few parts come loose sometimes. GEAE recently took the rap for a plane going down because the supplier of the fan installed the wrong sized bearing. DOH!!

----------------

On 2/10/2005 9:25:45 PM customsteve01 wrote:

9.gif14.gif

----------------

EXACTLY... Some funny, some sad.

----------------

m00n,

You will badly get hurt if you put one foot on a plane! Keep both feet in the plane for a trouble-free flight.

I know..."smart-***"...

----------------

Just a little, but I would expect that. 11.gif9.gif

----------------

On 2/10/2005 3:40:46 PM Tom Adams wrote:

Did you know that an aircraft's airframe is the only structure that does not send its loads into the earth

----------------

Too technical for m00n there Tom. Heck, he didn't even notice the prop was missing in that first photo.

Keith

Thanks - that's what I needed to see. In 5 days, I'm flying:

Oman to Dubai (1 hour)

Dubai to Hong Kong (8 hours)

Hong Kong to L.A. (13 hours).

A few days later I go to Houston, then all the way back 4 days after that.

Not too worried, I do this trip about 4 times each year and grew up with Aerospace in the family. I'll take 24 hours in a plane over 4 hours in a car anytime. 2.gif

now is that a fuel line showing in the pic above?

One of them is probably the fuel line to the high pressure pump on the PTO at the bottom of the engine. The other is the compressor bleed for cabin pressure/fresh air.

One of the ways airlines save money is to limit the amount of compressd fresh air going into the cabin to just that to maintain pressure. That allows the power "wasted" by the bleed to be used for combustion thrust. Anyone who flew years ago when smoking was allowed on airplanes can remember that the cabin air was less stale then than now. Of course back then oil was $10/bbl and a seat from RI to Fla was $200 v $89 today.

Rick

M00n - dude...when I said loads, I'm talking about design stress loads not turd loads. Why is it your mind always goes into fecal mode? You got some kinda fetish we don't know about?

Wait a minute.

OTOH....nevermind, we don't wanna know.

3.gif2.gif9.gif9.gif

Hey zapper - we got something in common.1.gif You're right on the money about bleed air issues. With the emphasis on squeezing every bit of fuel efficiency and range, the powerplant engineers cringe every time the enviromental control engineers ask for more bleed air. Cabin pressure is one thing, but making sure the cabin air exchange is sufficient and maintaining constant temps throughout the cabin is a real struggle.

Back to the issue of safe/unsafe....listen, this philosophy of mine was born out of my love for motorcycles. When you are lying in your coffin, folks will never say things like, "Well at least he didn't die in an airplane or thank goodness he didn't die riding a motorcycle" or whatever. Dead is dead....it don't matter how you get there. So enjoy life. And as Teddy Roosevelt once said, "It aint a sport if it can't kill you." 9.gif

Tom