RC-3 to Academy

rockbobmel

I too have an RC 3 and it just can't keep up with the Forte IIs. But $575, for an Academy, is an awful heavy price to pay. Here's an option. If you have the space, try for either another pair of Forte IIs or a pair of Quartets. I've tried one of my Quartets, on its side, below the screen, and it works perfectly. You could use the other as a rear center or sell it to someone else trying to accomplish the same thing. Two Quartets for $350 to $500 are worth a heck of a lot more than one Academy, IMHO.

I have used an academy with my Forte IIs since purchased new. It is a fantastic center channel. If space is not an issue another Forte or Quartet would work nicely. That said if you dont have the room or want that look, then I personally would bite the bullet and seek out an academy. Yea it is ludicrous to pay 500-700 dollars for a speaker that cost 400 over 10 years ago, but then lots of people are paying that so it has to tell you something right? In the grand scheme of things is several hundred dollars really a show stopper? How much do you have in cables, DVDs, racks/furniture, etc.? What price can you put on the enjoyment you get out of watching movies at home? If you are getting by with your current set up then that is great, just keep an eye out for an academy close to you or in the finish you want and wait it out. People pay 700+ for them, but I have also seen nice ones go for under 300. There is a forum member here (Frzninvt ) selling his black one for 500 and from what I can tell he is an outstanding community forum member. So at the very least the purchase would give you a higher comfort level then blindly buying from a unknown entity on ebay.

FWIW I recently paid 1800 for three Academys. That price included fantastic professional shipping from ½ way across the country (over $150). Typically you are going to pay shipping/insurance on top of they buying price so I thought the convenience of getting them all in one shot for roughly 550 each (1800-150 shipping) was fair for both parties. My plan was to use those three plus my one I have had forever and use all 4 in a 7.1 set up with Chours/Forte/Chours up front. That is how much I like the Academy. Room size shrunk as things came together and I ended up with 6.1 not 7.1 So I will keep my original one in my more mundane TV area and go with Chorus/Academy/Chorus up front and Forte/Academy/Forte in the rear of my dedicated HT.

Sorry for the long winded rantbut I think it helps illustrate at least my passion for that particular speaker. Yes I think it is that good.

Exactly my point above. If you have a projector and screen set up then space is not an issue, if you have a more standard TV, they a floor standing speaker complicates things. Forte/Quartet plus making it fit might cost more then an academy in furniture or agravation.

Good luck, Rich

I have a KLF-C7, which is VERY similar in specs to the highly regarded Academy. It's a durn sight closer to your Forte II's than any RC, I have Cornwalls and had the RC7, moved to KLF-C7 and it's much better timbre match.

These can be had for around $300 used. Black and Oak available. Much less expensive that Academy. Lovers of Academy need not bash me over the head. It's NOT AS GOOD, but I would think pretty close. Better than any Reference/Heritage mismatch anyway.

Michael

----------------

On 2/12/2005 10:15:25 AM rockbobmel wrote:

Thanks for all the input. The Quartet sounds like a good alternative, but HITH do you fit the the thing under the TV?, And how does the shielding work? I would prolly have to get some kind of monster stand.!

----------------

I ended up modifying a Quartet to flip the tweeter and Mid 90 degrees. I also swapped out the crossover and tweeter to the same as Forte IIs. It sits up on my wall using a (Home Depot) mount designed for a TV (~40 lbs). It probably cost near as much as what an Academy is going for, but it is a REAL full range speaker. It sits above an old 40" Mitisubishi and doesn't require any shielding. As far as being satisfied, I would do the same thing again in a heart beat.

(the mains and surrounds are Forte IIs)

----------------

On 2/12/2005 12:05:30 AM rockbobmel wrote:

I have ForteIIs for mains and an RC-3 for Center. I have read about the Academy being a match for the ForteIIs, but it was only made for 2 years? Would I benefit to look around for an Academy. Are they better or would it be a sideways move? Thanks, Bob

----------------

I have an Academy that I am thinking of selling. Don't bash me as being a salesman, but if you have heard one of these things, they do sound great. I was listening to Eric Clapton live and man was it nice!!

The reason that people are willing to pay so much for them is that if you have heritage and want surround and a sheilded center, it is cheaper to just pay for the Academy and keep you Heritage (which you probaly love anyway) rather than buy new RF-7's and matches.

Anyway, if you are want it, I have a lot of 5" x 5" styrofoam to cut to protect the corners from the UPS gorillas (they damages an amp of mine).

It is oak and in beautiful condition. I have a 7mp camera and can take some hi resolution photos.

Chris

If you are looking for something a little cheaper, but still a better match than the RC7, look for a KG 2.2v. It's video shielded, so no problem under the tv, and its just a hair smaller than the Academy. Again, I know it's not as good as an academy, (i've actually never heard an academy), but for my ears it is a pretty close sonic match to my original Forte's.

I have Forte mains, and 5 KG 2.2's in a 7.1 set up, and it absolutely rocks my room. Just my two cents of course. (Oh yeah, the price point for a 2.2v is often less than 200 bucks in pristine condition.)9.gif

Obviously the best choice for center would be another Forte' if it could be done with the riser removed and bucking magnets attached. The Quartet would be next in line and yes a pair will run you about what a single Academy sells for on average another good choice.

That being said if space is at a premium and the thought of taking the speaker apart to epoxy the bucking magnets to the drivers does not appeal to you then the Academy is a clear winner.

I can tell you this spec wise the KV-4, KLF-C7, and Academy look similar with the Academy having slightly less efficiency then the others. I have owned two KV-4's and had a KLF-C7 briefly and can tell you that the Academy easily outperforms them in the clear concise vocal clarity. I got the Academy about a year ago and honestly did not expect a significant difference between the two boy was I wrong. I run a La Scala center but I have to orient it vertically due to TV height. The dispersion pattern when sitting significantly off center is not there hence my wanting to run an Academy.

The Academy is amazing, it looks too simple a small vertical tweeter and a couple of woofers but the dialogue and even the bass it can produce are pretty amazing. After owning one I understand why people are willing to pay what they do for one.

Mine is back in the system and I don't think I'll be parting with it soon.

----------------

On 2/12/2005 12:37:59 PM Frzninvt wrote:

The Academy is amazing, it looks too simple a small vertical tweeter and a couple of woofers but the dialogue and even the bass it can produce are pretty amazing. After owning one I understand why people are willing to pay what they do for one.

Mine is back in the system and I don't think I'll be parting with it soon.

----------------

Would you prefer the Academy over a heresy as a center? I am matching two Belles as mains and all heresys as surrounds.

Chris

----------------

On 2/12/2005 11:16:37 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

I have a KLF-C7, which is VERY similar in specs to the highly regarded Academy. It's a durn sight closer to your Forte II's than any RC, I have Cornwalls and had the RC7, moved to KLF-C7 and it's much better timbre match.

These can be had for around $300 used. Black and Oak available. Much less expensive that Academy. Lovers of Academy need not bash me over the head. It's NOT AS GOOD, but I would think pretty close. Better than any Reference/Heritage mismatch anyway.

Michael

----------------

I ran a KLF-C7 with my (original) Fortes for about a year; the C7 is an amazing sounding loudspeaker, and I can see why people like the Legend series of speakers. The C7, like your Forte II's, sports a Tractrix horn tweeter, so it is closer to your mains than mine. I would give the C7 a shot, if you are unable to score an Academy within an acceptable-to-you period of time.

Having said (or written) that, the C7 was different enough from my Fortes, and caused enough distraction, I kept looking for an Academy, and finally nabbed a Near-Minty one for about $300 (I know, quite a deal). The match with the Forte is incredible. Sounds that pan across the front soundstage, or which are shared by the center and one of the mains for an off-center location, are seamless.

For use with an RPTV, the size and style of a speaker made as a center channel is much more accomodating than another (even modified) Forte. If I had a front projector, it would be another matter entirely, in which case I would most likely opt for another Forte.

Best of luck, and be patient. Even if you chose to try a KLF-C7, it would be easy to sell if you were to come upon a deal for an Academy. If Klipsch had not made their Heritage (and later) speakers so damn good, this would not be such a problem; we would all probably upgrade the whole smash. Since this is not the case, the internet has been an incredible tool for bringing sellers and buyers together to find the best deals for their listening and viewing pursuits...

----------------

On 2/12/2005 6:04:07 PM tigerwoodKhorns wrote:

Would you prefer the Academy over a heresy as a center? I am matching two Belles as mains and all heresys as surrounds.

Chris

----------------

I'm not Frzn, but I'll jump in anyway. 1.gif I own an Academy and Heresys, and I wouldn't put an Academy between Heresys/Belles/etc. I vote Heresy.

I did not comment as I have never used a Heresy as a center. When I had Belle mains I used a KG 2.2V briefly, then a KV-4, and lastly a La Scala, never tried a Heresy. It was not too long after that I got Khorn's and sold my Belle's.

I would have to agree with Olorin though if it were up to those two choices an Academy or a Heresy I would probably go with the Heresy. It would be interesting to hear the difference between the two though since they have the same efficiency, and the Heresy has the midrange. If it were me and I had other choices my first choice would be another Belle, second would be a La Scala, then a Cornwall, and lastly a Heresy.