Still-goosebumps...

theryugobuddy

Are there any albums/CDs that you've had for years that still just get you every time you listen to them? I'm always looking for that next new CD, either a current release or a unheard reissue, that just kills me--but I'm alway amazed how powerful some old Yes or Thelonious Monk or Ben Folds sounds, even though I've heard it a few hundred times.

Any music that still "strikes a chord" even after too many plays?

I still get goosebumps every time I listen to The first song on Jackie McLean's "Destination Out". The title "Love and Hate" has a very haunting tone to it, and I mean that in a good way. This is one of those "turn out the lights" pieces, very introspective. I love Jackie McLean but I also love the trombonist Grachan Moncur III who plays on this album. I would consider him one of the most underrated players in jazz. He only recorded a couple albums as leader for Blue Note in the 60's but played as a sideman on quite a few.

Enjoy

Delano

Siberian Khatrau by Yes. I saw every tour from Relayer to present, so they were in town about every 18 months. Raises the hair on my neck every time. Like that anticipation when the curtain clears and you wonder what the heck the stage will look like this year. Pure wonderment and awe!

They used the orchestral intro into 'Siberian' for years . The orchestra tape would fade out, then Steve Howe's finger picking guitar intro would lead into Alan White pounding the skins and the tremendous plucky Rickenbacker bass of Chris Squier. Rick Wakeman chimes in with those mini-moog trills and I'm floating about the stage, in heaven. By the time Jon Andersons soaring vocals take hold, tears are flowing every time I hear this song. It's like five guys playing different solos at the same time, but occasionally it melds into a beautiful melody. Like angels playing.

Its on the list of songs to play at my funeral (hopefully not for a few years)

Michael

The Beatles - "Something New", "Sgt. Pepper" & "Abbey Road"

Led Zeppelin - "I" (Dazed and Confused does it for me every time.)

Linda Ronstadt - "Heart Like A Wheel" & "Hasten Down The Wind"

She's my all time favorite. Goose bumps every time I hear her.

The Doors - "The Doors" & "Strange Days"

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Trilogy" (Hoedown gets me going.)

Merle Haggard- For The Record 43 Legendary Hits. If you are a Merle fan this is a must have. Some people don't like it because they are re-recordings of his songs. But I like the newer recordings much better than the originals. It is an excellent recording with such a clean, clear sound and tight, punchy bass. And the duets with Jewel on Silver Wings and That's The Way Love Goes are to die for. Jewels vocals really give me goosebumbs everytime !!!

Live performance of Badge from the The Cream of Eric Clapton DVD/VHS or LD. Believe the performance was filmed in Hartford Connecticut in 1986. Tim Renwick, now with PF, is playing backup guitar. Awesome, be sure its loud enough so when the bass drum first kicks right in the beginning you feel it.