veneer vendors

colterphoto1

Okay gang, I'm starting the shopping and it's going to take a forest of veneer to do 5 (five) Cornwalls. I've got several leads on grill manufacturers, but not a single lead on veneer. I will go googling, but any tips from my Forum Bros would be helpful?

Pricing, how to purchase, qty to overpurchase for scrap, mounting methods (paper backed?, iron on- or is it just the edges), getting samples, etc.

Thanks,

Michael

Well, I haven't seen all of them but I have experience in using the one called "Band-It" from Lowes and "Formica". The band it is very difficult to make look good because once you stain it, you can't sand it much with machine sanders (air files or DA's) as it distorts the stain coloring and if your not carefull will go right through the veneer. Using the "hot glue" method with the iron requires excellent technique and focus, making sure the iron is moving slow enough with a cloth behind it for holding it down till it cools properly. Any kind of application "wave" caused by not ironing it down properly will cause a disaster when sanding. I had to remove and replace several sections because of this problem. Also stay away from the wide grain stuff as the wide grain is "cupped" and you cannot flatten it buy sanding without going thru the veneer. It will bend around a corner perfectly in the long grain situation but it will not bend cross grainwise. Corner edges will match up perfectly and will be unnoticeable. Butting edges can be done and the butted area filled with plastic wood and stained and it looks pretty good.

The trimming can be accomplished with a Stanley knife very carefully.The surface preparation must be totally flat or your in trouble before application of the veneer. You must also seal off the speaker openings to prevent debris from entering. (dust, stain, angered fists) After using this veneer to cover my K-horns, Cornwall, Subwoofer RSW-12, and 4 SC-1's I would next time use Formica or real wood (you know cut from trees) which would save me about 3 months of time and look more professional to boot. Your lucky doing the Corwalls as the K-horns have to have wood supports screwed to each end to make them sit flat for proper finishing. There may be other types of veneer that I don't know about.

JJK

I used Teak on my Khorns from Tapease. I used the wood backer. Tapease in my opinion does not carry the best quality of veneers.m It is not bad but Straight veneer is the best but then Contact cement has a way of not working on raw veneer. That means you have to splice and use tightbond with an Iron.

Here is what teak should look like finished:

PDRM0003.JPG

post-12799-13819261969172_thumb.jpg