RC-7 vs Academy vs KLF-C7 - who wins?

jfcarbel

Looks like all 3 of these speakers will work with both the Heritage and Legend series, so I think it would be a good point to determine which center is best.

Just curious, if anyone has experienced all 3 whcih one turned out the best performance.

I am demoing a pair of KLF-20s and have an Academy and am going to see if the will loan me a RC-7 as well. Maybe I'll just bring my Academy to the store tonight when I go and try them all with the same material. If I do I'll be sure to post the results here.

HELP- Can someone tell me what movuie scenes are good to test the center channel? I've been told that panning is good to test timbre-matching and someone suggested the X-men scene with Senator Kelly talking to the senate. I would love more suggestions to make my testing more thorough.

If you are auditioning KLF-20's and end up with them you will be best off selling the Academy and buying a KLF-C7. I have had both centers, and liked the KLF-C7 very much. I have Choruses for fronts however, so I found the Academy a better match. I have no idea about the RC-7 (but I would like to after hearing the RF-7's the other day).

As far as DVD test material...Gone in 60 seconds (Scene while stealing the GT500) is excellent....Matrix death and mayhem scene when they go to save Morpheus (Ch. 39 I think..listen for the elevator door to fly by your head.)

Speed

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Heresy I Surrounds

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD

There really is no best speaker out of the 3, it all depends on what your front speakers are. If you have any of the KLF series front speakers....then you should have the KLF-C7. If you have the Cornwall II, Chorus II, Forte II, or Quartet.....then you should have the Academy. And the same goes if you have the Reference speakers......go for the RC-7.

When you look up a speaker on the Klipsch website it will tell you what speakers are made to go with it.....that should be your guide.

Good Luck

Steve

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (soon to be added)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

MIT Speaker Cable

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Monster S-Video and Component Cables

Jfcarbel- I would not get too hung up on the specs for these 3 speakers. They are all excellent. Each has been designed to seamlessly go with the line it anchors down.....Heritage=Academy, Legends=C7 and Reference=RC series.

For example, if HT is your concern I would be more focused on getting a GOOD sub that will allow you to run your mains, center and surrounds as SMALL (Cutoff at 70-120HZ depending on your receivers Bass Management settings.....but this is another topic completely.

Anyhow I would use the center that was designed for the system at the time as I wrote above for the best match. What if the Ref. Center was a much better speaker and then drew attention to itself because it had a diferent tonal quality or unique sound??? Would you want that different sound going from left to right during panning in movies like Gone in 60 Seconds?? Not me....I would want the Klipsch expertise to provide the best match as designed by the Engineers. Also, it is much easier to sell speakers when you have the complete (or portion of) the complete set. Ask any Heritage owner.

Good luck...I sent you a E-Mail on this subject also.

------------------

My system(s):

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7 (2)

KSP-S6's

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Audioquest interconnects

Niles SPS-4 speaker switch box

Niles wall plates

Niles in-wall volume controls

Marantz SR-8000

Toshiba SD-4205 5 DVD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35" TV

Mitsubishi VCR

Pioneer VSX-608 Multi-room amp for Outdoor deck

Polk All-weather AW2's deck speakers

Panamax DBS-8 Surge Protector

Klipsch IC-525's in Master Bath

13" Sony Wega in Master Bath

1 Lava Lamp for Ambience

Fridge full of beer and plenty of Don Julio, Jagermeister and Jim Beam

I'm fine with the KLF-C7 if it can keep up with the KLF-20s bass.

BLOOMIS914 you suggest using a cutoff of 70 by setting the center to small.

But I have heard that the you want to keep as much of the bass to your front speakers as you can, since they can more distinctly and quickly move the bass sound. I am not vert familiar with bass management, but will have to when I get the SVS sub. But if I use an LFE cutoff at 70Hz then I lose alot of bass on my KLF-20s.

Are there any movies that use panning of bass below 70-45Hz across the front? What about racing movies, or is that mostly midrange or above 70Hz?

Some have said in this forum that the RC-7 and the RS-7 blend perfectly with the KLF-20s. They even mentioned testing this with panning scenes. So unless that person was not listening right, the RC-7 would be much better due to the lower bass.

Can any Administrators answer whether the RC-7/RS-7 was designed with matching the KLF timbre or at least tested and verified as a good match.

Recent Academy prices on eBay -

$510

$275

$550

$610

Just crazy prices for a $400 speaker when it was brand new.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (soon to be added)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

MIT Speaker Cable

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Monster S-Video and Component Cables

Yep, mine is that $610 priced one. I know, I said "Holy Shnikes" when I saw that price. I mean $200 more than I paid for the speaker and it is 9 years old.

But it is in excellent condition and I love the way it did home theater with my Heresy IIs.

But I think I will be just as happy with the KLF-20 and C7. I originally sold them in mind with getting enough cash to buy the Reference speakers, but I was so disappointed when I went to listen to them. Then I heard about these KLF-20 on this forum and when I heard them I was in love just like I felt with my Heresy II.

I may be inclined to say the KLF-20 sounds better than my Heresy II. But now quality of construction is a whole different story.

BTW- Where is a good place local to Illinois or close by that matches online prices for the KLF-20. A local dealer quoted me $1200 which I think is quite high since the average online is around $800 for a pair.

Thanks all.

This message has been edited by jfcarbel on 08-21-2001 at 12:30 AM

Recent Academy prices on eBay -

$510

$275

$550

$610

What is wrong with these people?? I can't believe somebody would pay these prices for the academy. Is it REALLY that much better than the C7? If not, one could probably "make" a center channel out of heritage components from damaged or mismatched speakers that could be just as good, if not better than the academy. It's not like it has some stream-lined shape or something....Oh well, sellers, enjoy it while it lasts.

t-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

I wouldn't say the Academy is better than the C7, just different. It REALLY makes a difference to my ears when matched with my Heresy/Chorus HT setup. The KLF sounded very good as well, but was just different enough to break up the front soundstage a bit. The Academy will probably continue to be in demand for some time, as a lot of people who bought their Klipsch gear 8-10 years ago are now moving to 5-6-7 channel amps and want the "right" speaker(s) to match their existing setup.

my $.02

Speed

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Heresy I Surrounds

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD

quote:

Originally posted by jfcarbel:

BTW- Where is a good place local to Illinois or close by that matches online prices for the KLF-20. A local dealer quoted me $1200 which I think is quite high since the average online is around $800 for a pair.

B]

Dude, get on ubid right now. You'll find reasonable prices on the KLFs.

The correct center for the Legends can simply be determined by checking the matching chart.Once you spend your money on the KLF-20's you will have the opportunity to decide if you want to have wasted your money by buying mis-matching center and surrounds.

Get the C-7 ($300) and a pair of KSP-S6 surrounds.If you are patient you will find a pair at a reasonable price.If you are impatient,I will sell you my pair of S-6's for $800.However you get your hands on these speakers you will not have compromised the sound of the lot for a few bucks.You will pay many times over when listening to mis-matched speakers.Like the guy say's "pay me now of pay me later".Good luck to you jfc.

Keith

Keith -

Where is this matching chart? I looked over the site and could not find it. Could you provide the link here?

Thanks,

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Hello there eq_.At the top of this Forum page click "Products",then "Home Audio",then "Classic",then scroll down to "KLF-20".At bottom is list of matching center and surrounds,that is,if there were any.There were no matching surrounds made for the Legends.The KSP-S6's were designed as part of the Klipsch Synergy Premiere line(that I proudly own)but have been widely accepted as the surrounds to use with the Legends because of the close timbre match.

Keith