Toshiba 3950 or Philips 963 or ???

heresy2guy

Hello everybody,

I've got a chance to pick up a used 3950 for $50 or a used 963 for $100; both prices include the shipping costs and both are online so I can't physically compare the two but I'm willing to take a chance considering the price.

Is the 963 worth double the cost of the 3950 sonically? I've read about some quality control issues on those 3950s and I'd rather spend the hundred on the 963 if it would last longer AND, sonically-speaking, it's in the same ball-park as the 3950.

Or, perhaps there's another "sleeper" DVD/CD player out there that's obtainable for less then $100, new or used?

As usual, any advice is appreciated.

Take care,

H2G

The 963 is a really superior player. Add the $25 Black Gate power supply cap mod and it moves into the fabulous territory. It competes very well with my tricked-out Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP.

No contest, IMHO.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 SET Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

----------------

On 2/28/2005 5:35:16 PM Chris Robinson wrote:

The 963 is a really superior player. Add the $25 Black Gate power supply cap mod and it moves into the fabulous territory. It competes very well with my tricked-out Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP.

No contest, IMHO.

----------------

Who installs this mod. And what are the after effects. Seems my 963 has a tad more detail than my Sony SACD333 player.

----------------

On 2/28/2005 4:47:23 PM heresy2guy wrote:

Hello everybody,

I've got a chance to pick up a used 3950 for $50 or a used 963 for $100; both prices include the shipping costs and both are online so I can't physically compare the two but I'm willing to take a chance considering the price.

Is the 963 worth double the cost of the 3950 sonically? I've read about some quality control issues on those 3950s and I'd rather spend the hundred on the 963 if it would last longer AND, sonically-speaking, it's in the same ball-park as the 3950.

Or, perhaps there's another "sleeper" DVD/CD player out there that's obtainable for less then $100, new or used?

As usual, any advice is appreciated.

Take care,

H2G

----------------

If you don't buy the 963, I'd be interested in buying it for a second system. PM me if you decide to pass on it. (the 963 is a good player!)

Chris

----------------

On 2/28/2005 6:27:08 PM NOSValves wrote:

Is there some important difference between the Philips 963 and 963SA or are they one and the same ? I may grab one of these for my livingroom HT/Audio setup and sell my 2 seperate DVD SACD players no sense having 2 when you can have one !

Craig

----------------

Same thing.

----------------

On 2/28/2005 7:24:01 PM tigerwoodKhorns wrote:

----------------

On 2/28/2005 6:27:08 PM NOSValves wrote:

Is there some important difference between the Philips 963 and 963SA or are they one and the same ? I may grab one of these for my livingroom HT/Audio setup and sell my 2 seperate DVD SACD players no sense having 2 when you can have one !

Craig

----------------

Same thing.

----------------

Good I just bought a refurbed 963SA for $79 on Amazon

Thanks Craig

Thanks for the input guys. I ordered the 963. Seems like the sonic differences are marginal at best, and the 963 appears to be a more robustly built machine. QC seems to be a bit better in the 963 as well. I've seen (read) many more complaints of malfunctioning and/or dead 3950s then I have 963s. Hope my choice was a good one.

We'll see...

----------------

On 3/2/2005 11:04:29 AM heresy2guy wrote:

Thanks for the input guys. I ordered the 963. Seems like the sonic differences are marginal at best, and the 963 appears to be a more robustly built machine. QC seems to be a bit better in the 963 as well. I've seen (read) many more complaints of malfunctioning and/or dead 3950s then I have 963s. Hope my choice was a good one.

We'll see...

----------------

From what I have heard and read the 963 will make you happy.

----------------

On 2/28/2005 5:51:17 PM aviserated wrote:

Who installs this mod. And what are the after effects. Seems my 963 has a tad more detail than my Sony SACD333 player.

----------------

You can do the mod yourself (although LeoK did mine for me). Basically the existing power supply cap comes out, and the Black Gate goes in.

Search for LeoK's post on this subject. $25, +/-.