Killer concert DVD

rplace

Just received and watched U2s 2001 concert from Slane Castle. I have never seen a concert DVD that has such amazing sound AND video. Very, very well done. My wife and I were blown away. I also got The Who Live at Albert Hall. That is pretty darn good too. Very nice video and the sound is excellent.

If you have any interest in either of these bands I highly recommend.

On the down side Rolling Stones Four Flicks is nauseating to watch. The sound is nice and the video clarity is great, but the editing and cutting back and forth is so jumpy that is it almost unwatchable on the big screen. Only viewed two of the four discs so I am hoping that the other two are a little better.

Anyone else care to share some of the better concert DVDs that they have viewed recently? Not that big of a fan of these on my 36 inch TV, but since putting up a projector/screen I am hooked - an excellent way to combine both music and visual stimulation.

Is the U2 dvd DTS encoded? What other concert dvd's can you compare to? Is it comparable to:

Eagles "Hell Freezes Over"

Eric Clapton "One More Car, One More Rider"

Peter Gabriel "Growing Up Live"

Sarah Mclachlan "VH1 Storytellers"

What league we talkin' here?

Yes it is DTS on U2 can not remember off hand on The Who.

Up to this point I have not been too much into concert DVDs so I wont be much help here. I did see a Clapton one a while back, but dont remember the name it was very good the U2 is better.

Other then Sarah Mc I am not a big fan of those other bands, so not having seen I can not compare. I have seen REMs Perfect Square (which I loved) and U2 is better, REM is about the same as The Who one I mentioned. Other ones I have seen include Neil Young Rust Never Sleepshardly a fair comparison as U2/REM/Who are all so much newer. NYs is a fun watch, but noting to note in the audio/video department.

Sorry I cant help you out more to give you a comparison, but if you like U2 at all I cant imagine you would be disappointed.

I am a big U2 fan and enjoy all of their concerts and wish they would put previous concerts on DVD. "Rattle and Hum," was the first video I put on when I started this adventure known as Home Theater--Since that time disposable income has become nonexistent (i.e. HT & DVD fixes have become Mandatory Expense;-)

BChild311:

Yes, it does have a DTS track. It has been a while since I watched the video but as I remember it there were alot of crowd noise like you would experience at a concert. The Eagles,"HFO," has more clarity in sound and I guess that is why it seems to be a benchmark in Hi Fidelity concert video.

U2 is my all time favorite band (as of today) but "Growing up Live" is one of the best concerts I own as far as Video/Audio is concerned. I guess if I had to explain the difference in the two, U2 is more like you are amongst the crowd enjoying the concert--Peter Gabriel is like being in a Skybox with tremendous sound around you instead of the crowd.

The video quality of Pete's "Secret world live," isn't as good as "Growing up Live," but an excellent concert as well.

----------------

Anyone else care to share some of the better concert DVDs that they have viewed recently? Not that big of a fan of these on my 36 inch TV, but since putting up a projector/screen I am hooked - an excellent way to combine both music and visual stimulation.

----------------

Well, it ain't a dvd, but go get & watch Pink Floyd's Pulse on video. I saw that tour when they were in Nashville and it instantly became the most incredible visual/aural event I'd ever seen in my life (I'm not joking)The video in my opinion is vastly better than the cd, not only because of the visuals, but the video has one song in particular that they cut out on the cd that was an awesome version

As far as I know, there are no (legal/legit) dvd's on that show so the only avenue is VHS.

Elton John has that new dream ticket dvd set out. very good

Tribute to George (Harrison)

Cat Stevens Majikat (evidently his last live taped show (tour) before he quit)

Those are my most recent purchases and I like them all

Between Concert videos and my Klipsch, the urge to go to live concerts has become nonexistent. I also am appreciating artist that I wouldn't have thought of during my Rock and Roll days. For some reason I like beautiful country singers singing to me as much as I liked feminine British guys wailing at me. Go figure.

On that note, Faith Hill's "When the lights go down," is very nicely done, especially her duet with Carlos Santana. I also know why the new concert DVD by Shinia Twain is called "Up!";-) Both of these bring a tear to my eye and the sound is good. I remember reading somewhere that Female vocals don't sound as good on Klipsch reference speakers--I can't disagree more.

rplace--Given your recent purchase, I think you would enjoy INXS's "Live Baby Live," if you are a fan of that group. Genesis "Live at Wembly stadium," is also good and will give your sub a workout.

For fans of the sound quality of "Hell Freezes Over," I highly recommend Don Henley's "Live Inside Job."

One of my favorite things to do is to watch/listen to DVD concerts. (Free Beers, no lines, the bathrooms empty, I dont miss any part of the concert, usually sound better, etc) The U2 concert at Sloan Concert is great. I saw then back in 1987 for the Joshua Tree Tour in Syracuse NY at the dome. It was echo city, I mean live music is live music, but still this concerts better in my HT then the dome.

I would highly recommend Eric Claptons One More Car One More Rider. It a great performance and still one of the best sounding concert DVDs, sound definitely be added to your reference collection. Another good one is the George Harrison tribute concert.

Interestingly I brought the WHO & Special concert from 1991 also shot in Albert Hall and while a great concert its sound quality does not match the ones above. Think it has to do with the fact the WHO concert was probably about 20dB louder and so the recording reflects the hall acoustics more. Still Eddie Vedder who sings during the concert, and I like Pearl Jam, could not hold a candle to Daltrey. I associate The WHO with loud (meaning high dB/dynamic/ but low distortion) what better speaker than Klipsch.

A side bar, the last concert I saw live was the Eagles in DC at the MCI center (where the Caps play). Before the Eagles came on they had an advertisement for the JBL sound system that was used for the concert. It was broadcast on the overhead display, they sounded good not great, not sure what you can do for a concrete indoor area.

----------------

On 3/1/2005 6:40:26 PM jacksonbart wrote:

One of my favorite things to do is to watch/listen to DVD concerts. (
Free Beers
, no lines, the bathrooms empty,.....

----------------

i'll be right over!!!

you gotta have your priorities straight....

2.gif

don't know if you like jazz at all.... but the latest diana krall concert DVD is very good....

Live at the Montreal Jazz Festival (DVD)

Live at the Montreal Jazz Festival

http://www.dianakrall.com/music9.aspx

----------------

On 3/1/2005 10:59:07 PM psg wrote:

The best DVD concert I have is Diana Krall "Live in Paris". Tremendous dynamic range, lots of emotion and cool interaction between the musicians. Highly recommended!
----------------

see above!

i have both "live in Paris" and "Live at the Montreal Jazz Festival" and i prefer the montreal disc....

more "live" setting and not so much production.... (no orchestra)

but both are great DVD's

1.gif

I'd buy the Diana Krall releases just to get the jacket photos. Great images and lighting and what a set of legs! Sultry voice too! yyyeeeooowww

Michael

Get on the DVD/CD board for weekly reviews. Led Zep DVD set is not to be missed. Incredible quality for the source documents they started with! Catch my review on the above listed threads.

This past year netted some outstanding concert dvd's for both PQ as well as SQ.

Simon and Garfunkles old friends

Eric Claptons Crossroads guitar festival

Eric Claptons Sessions for Robert J (not a true concert, but amazing none the less)

The U2 that was mentioned

No Quarter, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant unleaded

These are the main ones that jump out as far as 04 releases that were stunning in SQ & PQ.

I would put any of these in a league that would include any other concert as far as those two criteria is concerned. Now you may or may not like the content of these disks, but the quality of these are awsome.

Two others that are a tad older, yet fantastic is The Bee Gees, One Night Only and David Gilmore in concert.

Prior to this past years releases these are my favorite two for SQ & PQ.

i have enjoyed concert DVD's on the pj/106" screen/Klipsch setup more than words can convey! i can have concert-level dB's (IF i want to-i haven't ever been able to tell a live band 'hey can you turn it down/up some')no one pushing or stepping on my feet,bathroom readily available,no missed songs(except the ones I skip thru)etc.etc...

above all, on a well-recorded DVD, the SOUND is GREAT(thanks Klipsch!!)and some have exceptional video quality as well.

some of these have been out for awhile,but i enjoy them,and these are DVD's that i can watch over and over again!

Journey 2001: very good video,audio, and a chance to get to hear the 'new' singer and drummer(BOTH VERY good IMO)

Led Zep 2-disc set: audio is generally exceptional,video varies from acceptable to very good depending on venue,GREAT collection of some of my favorite Zep songs in a live venue.

Sting 'brand new day': there are only a few songs on this DVD that i really like, but they sound GREAT and the video is great as well.

SRV & (2x)trouble 'live from austin': exceptional collection of songs and good video/audio quality

YES@h.o.b.: EXCEPTIONAL video(it was recorded in H.D.)and very good audio. my favorite cut is the BASS FEAST '5.1 version of 'homeworld' in the 'extras' section- buddy,fasten your 'bass seat belts' for the last part of this song!!

U2 'rattle and hum': video quality varies from exceptional to good,audio varies according to venue from very good to great! nice collection of songs.

Billy Joel 'greatest hits vol.3': good mix of tunes,very good video and audio

Santana 'supernatural live': exceptional video and audio quality,good song mix

James Taylor 'live at the beacon theater': a staple DVD concert that has exceptional video and audio quality along w/a great mix of songs.

Rush in Reo: unusual video aspect ratio,but good p.q., good audio-once you adjust the level for rear surround and sub down(they are both mixed 'hot')good song mix.

Fleetwood Mac 'the dance':video is "hazy?" somtimes,but audio is very good and song mix is GREAT.

there are many others i would like to aquire,as DVD concerts are such a pleasure to experience on my setup,thanks for the thread and input.

avman.