Denon or Yamaha

Smokem

I think its funny when companies add words to make their products sound better like Sony ES or Pioneer Elite, it is still just a Sony or Pioneer no matter what you put after it. Don't they realize you can't polish a turd.

As far as the Denon or Yamaha debate if we are talking the absolute best offerings from each I would say that they are both quite good. They each have their own unique features, but for the money separates will eat them alive.

----------------

On 3/4/2005 2:26:21 PM Frzninvt wrote:

I think its funny when companies add words to make their products sound better like Sony ES or Pioneer Elite, it is still just a Sony or Pioneer no matter what you put after it. Don't they realize you can't polish a turd.....

----------------

*sigh*

sorry frz.... but no...

pioneer elite does differ from the standard line in terms of quality of parts, design, and construction.... as well as the availablity and lines of distribution - pioneer elite is a protected/non-internet line...

sony ES used to be a definite step up in the same regards, but in the last few years the distinction between the ES line and the regular line has blurred somewhat

1.gif

i wonder how many people here have even heard both lines in the same environment so as to justify their opinions... 2.gif

When operating within their thresholds, I dare say both manufactures (make that any manufacture) all sound "identical". The differences one might hear and even prefer are best attributed to a different set of distortions that better fits one's particular taste in music (and the recording quality typical of that genre). So basically it's a process of choosing the most favorable distortion...

So when it comes down to it, I would therefore choose functionality over quality when it comes to recievers (especially when working within a price range). If you're really after quality, then you should be busting out the seperates.

for the sake of your debate at work, i vote for the denon (sorry mike) 2.gif

Over the years I have changed loyalties, for years I was an Onkyo fan. Then the Yamaha years, and now I have 2 Yamaha's and 2 Denon's for a small theater set-up and a Denon whole house amp/receiver. I have not purchased what I consider a high end Denon so I feel the Yamaha has a better fit and finish. As far as sound goes I have the Yamaha powering Klipsch KG's and they sound great, the Denon is powering a Polk system that I quite enjoy as well. my .02

I got to hear a yammie at colterphoto's place and it was by no means harsh or screechy or anything like that. I think yamaha has a bad past reputation that hasn't gone away yet. I'm sure the low end yamahas sound crappy like that, but I find low end sony's to sound the same way. That's why these discussions are useless without a price point (i seriously doubt anyone has owned the flagship models from multiple companies)

I know the low to midrange Yammie that I had sounded harsh with my rf-35s, but with another set of speakers...? From what I've heard, I prefer Denon over Yamaha, but I haven't heard the best Yamaha has to offer, so it's not a fair comparisons. Doesn't matter, for recievers Arcam owns ALL!!!! (Evil laughter fills the air...ok, except maybe Rotel, it's kind of a tossup for me)

Scott

----------------

On 3/4/2005 7:23:35 PM DrWho wrote:

i wonder how many people here have even heard both lines in the same environment so as to justify their opinions...
2.gif

When operating within their thresholds, I dare say both manufactures (make that any manufacture) all sound "identical". The differences one might hear and even prefer are best attributed to a different set of distortions that better fits one's particular taste in music (and the recording quality typical of that genre). So basically it's a process of choosing the most favorable distortion...

So when it comes down to it, I would therefore choose functionality over quality when it comes to recievers (especially when working within a price range). If you're really after quality, then you should be busting out the seperates.

for the sake of your debate at work, i vote for the denon (sorry mike)
2.gif

----------------

If its a matter of picking distortions, I choose Social Distortion.9.gif It really sounds live on klipsch.

If its an HT thing it don't really matter what avr brand,just pick the one w/the best features and easy set up.On the other hand if you plan on listening to much music/concerts then there is a BIG difference in each brand.You may like the sound of any one of them(mass market that is)but just be aware there are good/better/much better sound wise in the same price range.As to your ? of the two,I prefer Denon because...decent sound w/music on Klipsch imo,lotsa features,reliable(not that others aren't).

I've been real happy with Yamahas. I'm on my third one, had their flagship Dolby-Pro Logic one before this. I've always found them to have a certain smoothness that endows itself to the listener. Not muddy at all, just a nice sounding unit. Works great with my Cornwalls.

-Jon