Daddy Dee

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dean,

Your comment "it falls short, that's why they won't build it." Reminds me of the DVD/AMP that Klipsch had on Display at that gathering..........they talked about Heat problems............and Poof! it straight away went bye bye..........

Hee hee.:)

Tony - it doesn't surprise me that the Jubilee would sound awe inspiring. Even somewhat compromised two-ways (Reference) sound very good to my ears. A great two-way, of which there aren't very many -- will certainly kick some serious butt, especially in the areas of imaging and soundstaging (I would love to hear Dylan's new Altec 19's, or a pair of A7's). I also think DrWho had a very good point when he mentioned the mono experience, which does some interesting things too. I did a lot of mono over the last month while comparing networks, and found that regardless of material, a single speaker always seemed to sound more coherent and less "phasey". Now, while visiting Mrs. Klipsch's home and playing the single Jubilee with a relatively low powered tube amp -- I'm sure you guys weren't trying to light up the room. I'm not doubting for a second that a single Jubilee doesn't sound anything short of outstanding, I'm only pointing out that a pair probably can't hang with pair of AK-4 Klipschorns in a big room being driven to live levels with high powered amplifiers. Not completely unrelated to this by any means are many of the comments made by John Warren in his excellent article printed in February's issue of AudioXpress - "Replacing the Klipschorn Tweeter".

There are probably as many ways to build a great sounding Jubilee as there are a great sounding Klipschorn. I wonder how many driver/horn/network combinations PK and Delgado went through? It amazes that people that do this kind of thing can maintain their sanity.

You know, if someone really has a hard on for the Jubilee, they could just do what Trey did: buy the bottom of the pro version and stick whatever you want on top of it. Since it's a two way, figuring out a good filter for it is doable by anyone willing to commit a little bit time to it.

Anyways, back on topic: If you do away with the Corvette analogy, the thing that is left is simply the idea of taking care of unfinished business. It's unprofessional to leave it out there to rot. The fact is, it's a sound design, and even if it doesn't exceed every performance parameter of the new Klipschorn -- it's perfect for anyone that doesn't have corners, or doesn't need to fill a large room with high sound pressure levels. I also think they should finish it and offer it up simply because it's the right thing to do. OTOH, if they aren't going to build it, they should just give it to us to do with as we please. What's the point in hoarding it?

Hang in there guys. A patent is only good for 20 years from application date, (unless it was before 1997 (I think), then it is good for 17 years from issue date). I'm studying for the patent bar right now and thought I'd share the good news!!

By the way, Chrysler said in teh 90's that they lose big time on every Viper built, but that the goodwill in free advertising paid hundreds of times over. For the cost of developing teh Viper, they could only target southern Califormia, instead they were on the cover ov every car magazine.

Tehe only problem is that the Viper was a 500 HP monster among 300 HP may others at the time. Even though it was a relatively sloppy car, 500 HP. Back then a special order overhead cam Vette (forget the name) had 385 HP.

The Jubilee needs to be way better than the K Horn or negative publicity will definatelty be had.

Chris

Hang on a moment - let me just see if I understand this. The benefit of the new network over the older one comes in at 60 Watts? 60 - on a Khorn. That is a 104 dB speaker playing with SIXTY watts - continuous...over 120 dB.

Common occurance? I mean - I know Khorn owners haven't bought there speaker as a subtle background to diner parties but 120 dB+...

Think I am a Type A kinda guy.

Also dont think that this would be regarded as a serious drawback for the Jubilee even if it has the same limits - afterall - other than DeanG and Qman would anyone else ever find out?

Far more interesting - for a stereo jubilee setup is the question - does it have depth of image? If it does then this has addressed the weakest area of a KHorn and is worth building just for that.

My guess is that every market research the company poll says the same thing - no demand for big speakers. KHorns are huge, but, they sit in the corner of the room and dont take up appreciably more space than a normal speaker. It is very much teh exception that proves the rule. Jubilee's on the other hand - dont need corners - a good thing - but take up more real estate than a Japanese Hotel Bedroom.

You also have to look at the competition. The most obvious is the Avantgarde - possibly even the Trio. Like or loath the looks the Trio is a damn fine speaker and pretty much has the silly high end horn market to itself. How many sales would the Jubilee take from there - more importantly - how many potential sales are there - recognised as the trio is - they dont exactly fly off the shelves.

Greetings,

Very interesting thread! Here's my two cents worth...

Instead of bringing back the Jubilee, wouldn't it be interesting if Klipsch were to develop an entirely new speaker - a "New Millennium" series - to raise the bar a step higher?

Perhaps the Klipsch design team could, using PWK's corner horn theory, develop a speaker that was fully horn loaded down to 20Hz. Perhaps they could double the sensitivity from 104 to 107dB and design (or purchase) cost-is-no-object drivers and crossover network components.

And maybe it'll cost $25 grand or more by the time they're done with it.

I think that the future of any company lies in giving an appreciative nod to the past, then looking straight ahead to the future. Klipsch certainly has a *lot* from their history to nod at; however, I'd love to see them come up with something that bests everything the company has ever done.

If they do, I suspect ol' PWK would stop improving upon the celestial speaker systems, take a moment to give a heavenly listen, then shout out his famous catch-phrase and say, "Way to go, guys!"

Take care,

Scott

----------------

On 3/6/2005 1:40:28 AM tigerwoodKhorns wrote:

The only problem is that the Viper was a 500 HP monster among 300 HP may others at the time. Even though it was a relatively sloppy car, 500 HP.

Chris

----------------

I never found it to be a sloppy car. I had a chance to take one around the track at Lime Rock a few times at Skip Barber's racing school. When you really lean on it and load up the tires, it's very tough to beat. 160 mph out of the last turn into the straight away is a really fine experience. 3.gif

Driving it around town though is a lot like Dean 4.11 analogy. Just overkill for normal driving conditions. Like the AK3, it needs a lot of power at the edge of the envelope and it will really shine. The exhaust note is enough to get the blood flowing to southern regions.

Just my $0.02.

DeanG:

Just a couple of points on our listening experence. The Jubilee was in free space, not in a corner. I suspect it would just get better all snug in a corner. On a few songs we did light up the room. I wanted to see just how far I could push it. Thirty tube watts will run you out of the room! Also, I have heard a pair of Jubilees and I say again they are awesome in a lot of ways. Not just different... awesome! If you ever get a chance to hear the Jubilee, spend some time with it. You might change your mind.

Tony

Greg, you are persistent 9.gif

That big ole Pro Jubilee is a three way vs. PWK's two way. I think you could put a pair of these in a big HT room and be really happy (and a little deaf).

Don't think Carrie's going to let them into the house though. They seem to be a tad on the industrial side 6.gif Klipschorns are much more to her liking.

We're looking for a new home now down south (Savannah, Hilton Head area). When browsing MLS listings, she said, "Chris, wow, check out this living room! Your Klipschorns or Cornwalls would look great in here!"

She's come a long way from the old Bose Acoustimess days 1.gif

I say backwards engineer the bass cabinet from all the publications, buy some great "off the shelf" mid/high horn and design a simple crossover...where is the magic of the jubilee? is it the new "improved" bass horn? (I suspect this is where most of the magic comes from) or from the two-way funcionality? anyway...I could not justify the expense of a >$8k speakers to my wife so I am out of a purchase form klipsch...but a DIY project is another matter altogether (it is easier to hide the expenses! lol), perhaps klipsch should public domain the bass cab design? regards, tony

----------------

I never found it to be a sloppy car....

Just my $0.02.

----------------

I never drove a Viper so I don't speak from experience. I just read that the throttle was like an on/off switch. You touch the throttle and get too much power. It is diffcult to torque steer taht way. This was a review by Mario Andretti.

Chris

----------------

On 3/6/2005 11:59:21 AM tigerwoodKhorns wrote:

I never drove a Viper so I don't speak from experience. I just read that the throttle was like an on/off switch. You touch the throttle and get too much power. It is diffcult to torque steer taht way. This was a review by Mario Andretti.

Chris

----------------

Chris, you're right! Ole Mario knows a few things! The man is a God.

Yes, the Viper has tons and tons of torque and it can get away from you (can you imagine driving it in New England snow, LMAO). That's why I found that really loading up the tires expanded the patch and grip, really coverting that torque into GO! It's a wild experience chirping the tires in a downshift at 70 mph.

My day car is a Honda Accord which is about as smooth as refined a car as you can find for $25K, so getting behind the wheel of a muscle car like a Vette or a Viper is really good physical therapy 3.gif

To my mind, the "why" Klipsch doesn't market the Jubilee would be related to the "why" Klipsch doesn't aggresively market the Heritage line. It seems that old main stream audio has morphed into a different animal which is HT. Klipsch has gone in this direction in order to deliver a level of excellence in a product that is in demand.

If that is the case, then why would Klipsch unveil a new and expensive flagship of a line that not even found on display in the vast majority Klipsch dealers?

To my mind, the "why" Klipsch doesn't market the Jubilee would be related to the "why" Klipsch doesn't aggresively market the Heritage line. It seems that old main stream audio has morphed into a different animal which is HT. Klipsch has gone in this direction in order to deliver a level of excellence in a product that is in demand.

If that is the case, then why would Klipsch unveil a new and expensive flagship of a line that not even found on display in the vast majority Klipsch dealers?