The Altecs have landed

Dylanl

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen only for a 1/2 - 1 hour so far. I need to do a little more tweeking but these are no slouch when it comes to sound. My 1st impression stock Khorn vs. Stock Altec 19:

1. Altec - much smoother midrange and Highs

2. Altec bass not as deep but very very tight.

3. Klipschorn a little clearer overall

4. Stock Kliopschorn to Stock Altec 19 ( I favor the Altec )

Now, comparing my Klipsch with mods. to the Altec I still give the edge to the mighty Klipschorn. I have to do a lot more testing and there are many tweeks that can also be done to bone stock Altecs. If any of you guys get a chance to listen to these do not pass it up.

This note is only based on 1/2 - 1 hour of listening I will know better in the next few days.

I remember seeing the Altec 19 (single speaker) used as the speaker in the K-State Union movie theatre in the early 80's. They wheeled the speaker onto the stage and let the screen down in front of it if I remember correctly. The problem I see is that they are bigger than my homebuilt khorns! My homebuilts have just the bare basics-no big upper horn enclosure and no additions to the sides. I'll post a picture sometime. They were built on Speakerlab plans about 15 yrs ago. I really can't see how they have less bottom end than the khorns. My biggest complaint about my knorns is that the upper bass is way too loud (in the 100-200hz range). I went back and used a 15 band eq to tame that range about 4db and boost the low end by 12db or so. Much better sound. I couldn't stand the non eq.ed response!!! I'll bet your Altecs are much flatter. What are the specs on the Altecs? I remember EV had some simiar speakers and they offered an eq. for flatter response. By lowering the port resonant freq., just a little boost in the bottom octave would lower the range of the speaker another 1/2 octave or so.

bsafirebird is correct. I've found with mine that minimal toe-in is best. They do _not_ sound good aimed at your head.

Gary, what Altec's did you have ? ......... The 19's are playing in a different league than Cornwall's, or La Scala's for that matter although that is a somewhat closer comparison in my view.

Gary,

Didn't yours also not have the Altec woofer in them when you got them?

On a short side trip... In the early '70s I played acoustic guitar and bass for a brother sister duo. We played a small college in Ohio, where their venue was one half of a gymnasium. The only speaker for their PA system was a VOTT similar to the 19. It was the best PA any school had for us.

Marvel

...."Gary, what Altec's did you have ? ......... The 19's are playing in a different league than Cornwall's, or La Scala's for that matter although that is a somewhat closer comparison in my view".....

But a Cornwall with a 511b/902-16a crossed at 600hz is in another league.....2.gif

Terry

Edit: and requires tolerant wife........

----------------

On 3/5/2005 10:27:36 PM KCM wrote:

----------------

But a Cornwall with a 511b/902-16a crossed at 600hz is in another league.....
2.gif

Terry

----------------

Sure, you're halfway there
3.gif3.gif3.gif

Terry, did you get my reply to your questions ?

----------------

Yes I did, and many thanks. I will get back to you with a "tighten up" reply.

Terry

It seems that some of our so called DIE HARD members have been looking over their shoulders at the Altec forum- http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=3729. I hate to mention names but...(DeanG & bsafirebird1969),I am just curious, I thought you two were klipsch loyalists if so what are you doing dancing around on the enemy's site? Maybe the allure of finely tuned Midrange & highs has started to attract you.

The only thing I ever claimed was that I love horns. The name is not as important to me as the sound - period. So I guess there will be no *** Kissing today! 9.gif