Replacing Grill Cloth

Dylanl

This job is a huge pain. Klipsch must have put 200-300 staples in the old cloth to hold it on. I have to hand pull out each staple. After I completed the 1st one I have a blister on my hand. I do not know why they used so many staples? The newer ones use less staples and contact cement.

Yeah, the good ol' days when a staple meant something!

I am suprized by the apparent THICKNESS of the grill cloth! That's gotta effect the sound, I would think.

I question its "transparency".

Check out the sound without a grill cloth before you put on the replacement. Post a review, I would be interested in hearing whether it really matters (or not).

DM2.gif

Dylanl, you need a screwdriver that you can sacrifice, a bench grinder, and a hammer. A fairly long ( 8" or so ) standard will make a nice tool for pulling staples, even from hardwood.

How do I know?? I had to fix a broken couch one weekend from wrestling and there was a LOT of staples to be pulled to fix the framework. ( had to rip a new faceboard from 3/4" plywood ) I also found out that you absolutely need to drill holes for screws in hardwood after twisting off 2 trying to drive them with a drill.

Drilling holes and using wax on the screws as a lubricant worked wonders. No more broken screws.

Its not that hard to get staples out i just use a small screw driver, pop in a movie and a glass of tea and get-er-done,,,lol.The problem is finding a staple gun that will put staples back in, mine have to be hammered down after done also dont forget to spray paint under the grill cloth again.Rick

----------------

On 3/14/2005 5:46:20 AM edwinr wrote:

On reflection I should have saved my fingers by making a new set of frames from mdf and covering them.

----------------

Aren't the frames made of 1/2" plywood? I'll be making some new ones for mine this summer. Not that it'll cost that much more... but just seems more solid for the small $ difference?

Rob

I don't think it would be plywood. I know my 84' corns aren't. My was more like masonite and actually might be masonite. The frame was slightly flexible. 1/2 inch actually is a little too deep but would work. I would use 3/16 inch masonite. Worked well for me.

jc

Trey,

do you have model number of Z bracket and can you post a pix of it in action? Thanks- I'll be rebuilding 5 Cornwalls this spring and might do this mod. I am told however, that PWK didn't think it made much difference if the horns were front mounted or rear mounted. Common logic about diffraction and CWII design tell us that they maybe SHOULD be front mounted. What do your engineers say?

Michael

----------------

On 3/16/2005 8:35:30 AM jwcullison wrote:

I don't think it would be plywood. I know my 84' corns aren't. My was more like masonite and actually might be masonite.

----------------

My Cornwalls also have masonite grilles. My question was actually for Klipschorn side grilles, which I thought (assumed 4.gif) these were.

Rob