How Many Cd's do you have

Guest Anonymous

"At one time I wanted a bar-code reader and accompanying software that would log the album title, artist, song titles and the time of each into a database. Later figured out that the source of information would have to be huge."

I've been using a bar-code reader for several years to do this. I've went through various custom built programs that I made, but recently switched to the Mac app "Delicious Library". It currently hooks up to Amazon to find details on dvds,music, books. Cool little app, I scan a new dvd/cd with my wireless bluetooth bar code reader, it auto looks up the selection on amazon, downloads the cover art and all details and displays them in your library. If you have an Apple its def. worth looking into.

Back to the question. Currently 1070 cds, 415 DVDs, around 100-150 lps (I dont track the LPs yet in my computer, just not enough of them) and a whole 1 SACD.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/11/2005 10:50:23 PM Scp53 wrote:

so the older you are the more you have? im still in HS and have no where near what you guys have. i suppose someday ill be there.

scp53

----------------

Don't worry, scp53, I feel your pain.

400 CD's.

200 LP's.

50 SACD/DVD-A's.

And I thought I had a staggering collection until everyone here shared.

Well had around 150 cds but after the big "D" I ended up with around 70. Have a few cassettes, maybe 10. And around 30 or so lps.

If anyone is interested my lps could use a good home where they could be played. I don't have a TT anymore, It was tosed off of the loft and down to the first floor, "crash". She had a bad temper, hince the big "D". Let me know and I will post the titles in another post.

Steve

• Moderators

----------------

On 3/12/2005 12:40:04 PM skeptic wrote:

"At one time I wanted a bar-code reader and accompanying software that would log the album title, artist, song titles and the time of each into a database. Later figured out that the source of information would have to be huge."

I've been using a bar-code reader for several years to do this. I've went through various custom built programs that I made, but recently switched to the Mac app "Delicious Library". It currently hooks up to Amazon to find details on dvds,music, books. Cool little app, I scan a new dvd/cd with my wireless bluetooth bar code reader, it auto looks up the selection on amazon, downloads the cover art and all details and displays them in your library. If you have an Apple its def. worth looking into.

Back to the question. Currently 1070 cds, 415 DVDs, around 100-150 lps (I dont track the LPs yet in my computer, just not enough of them) and a whole 1 SACD.

----------------

I highly reccomend Music Collector software. You can download at Collectorz.com. It will load all of the info from a CD when you put it into your computer, uses 4 different data bases to find your CD/LP has bar code reading capability, etc. I finally got everything entered because I was tired of buying lp's I already had at record shows. And it will give you an perfect count of everything in case anyone ever asks you how many cd's you have.

LP's: 2,947

CD's: 1,256

SACD: 5

DVD-A 3

Pre-Recorded Reel to Reel: 87

----------------

On 3/13/2005 9:57:09 AM dwilawyer wrote:

I highly reccomend Music Collector software. You can download at Collectorz.com. It will load all of the info from a CD when you put it into your computer, uses 4 different data bases to find your CD/LP has bar code reading capability, etc. I finally got everything entered because I was tired of buying lp's I already had at record shows. And it will give you an perfect count of everything in case anyone ever asks you how many cd's you have.

LP's: 2,947

CD's: 1,256

SACD: 5

DVD-A 3

Pre-Recorded Reel to Reel: 87

----------------

Thanks, but I was kinda looking for something that had access to all the info already instead of me having to enter it all in.

• Moderators

Tom,

it does have all of the info entered in. You pop a cd in your computer, the program id's it, finds it on one of 6 databases on the web, downloads the info on your computer, even puts a picture of the cd/lp cover next two it. For lp, you just enter the name of the artist/lp the program finds the rest (tracks, other info.) on the web and enters it for you.

You could do a 100 cd's in an hour watching tv, you just need to keep changing them.

Travis

I've been clearing out old 80's made cds and updating them to the remastered versions for about the last 5 years. I currently have about 750 cds,300 dvds(mostly concerts)50 dvda/sacd's,150 LPs I'll never part with.

OK... just had to reply to this thread... who doesn't love a chance to show off? :)Just got a new camera, so I figured I would take some pictures.. hopefully they are sized ok?

cds1.jpg

I was kind of bummed... after actually counting I only had 987! All this time I thought I was surely over 1000 lol, although I didn't add the box sets.

And here are the 135 DVD's I own..

dvds.jpg

----------------

On 3/12/2005 8:00:17 PM cluless wrote:

This is so silly-

Does it really matter how many/how much?

If it just sits on the shelf unlistened to, should it be counted?

----------------

I think you are right clu, why dont you ladies turn around and we guys will just put our tally whackers on the counterLets see now I have 18 liner feet (of CDs that is, on the wall on five inch wide shelves, alphabetized.) I treat my CDs like my friends, I keep them around but I seldom use them.

rpittman... thanks, I got the rack from BillyBaggs. Although it was a "blem" the scratch was on the side of the wall, so not a factor. Their stuff is pretty pricey but I found mine through AudioAdvisor. I liked the design, because to hold that many cd's you need something pretty strong & rigid. Go to BillyBaggs.com & you can read up on their stuff. The rack pictured uses powdercoated steel tubing to hold the cd's.

kinda like this ?-->

MClibrarySM.jpg

That's the DVD's and VHS on the left, 700+ CD's on the right

on the right, shelves # :

1-8 are pop/rock

9 is Jazz

10 is classical/electronic/ambient

Built-in bookcase in my mahogany office paneling. 1/4 glass shelves (saves enough space over wood shelves for one more CD space)I use old record company plastic CD dividers between major band categories.

Michael