Opinions on my Rear...Please

Zen Traveler

I just purchased some RB-75's to replace my RS-7's to use as rear surrounds(pics on page 20 of "show me your home theater" thread).

After looking at the design of the KL-650-THX Klipsch speakers, I decided to put them on shelves and lay them horizontally with the horns toward the inside, the woofers on the outside closest to the side walls (Back wall is 7 1/2 ft long. Ceiling slants from 6 ft to 7 1/2 ft toward the back of my seating position). I have a RSW-15 directly under the left rear surround.

Long story, short--I already put up the shelves and have the speakers on them. It sounds great, but not markedly better than my RS-7's except on some Concert videos that have good sound quality. My questions are these: 1) Does anyone see anything wrong with putting the RB-75's horizontally? 2) Would flipping them 180 degrees with horns in the corner be a better situation? 3) Would the vertical placement, which these speakers were designed, have an advantage over either of the other 2 options?

I agree with rplace!

As to your question, 1) you might lose some horizontal dispersion from the horn, or you might not 2) with the woofers near the wall you will get some bass boost, flipping them will lose that 3) you might try standing them up to see if there is a difference.

Experimentation, it might solve your problem, or drive you crazy. Either may not be bad. Good luck.

jtkinney writes: "Experimentation, it might solve your problem, or drive you crazy. Either may not be bad. "

Too late. Experimentation is part of the long story and why they are coming to take me away;-)

I agree that either may not be bad, but if someone had an opinion to the contrary (putting the speaker in its vertical position being an acoustically better scenario, given my situation) I would consider redoing the shelves--which I don't want to do.

The way I have it now, the horns are 4 ft apart and directed towards the back of my ears. When I turn around I can see the back of the throat of the horns. I don't think I am losing any horizontal dispersion. I was worried that with the woofers closer to the wall and my RSW 15 being back there it would sound muddy--It didn't.

I appreciate your impute. I think I am obsessing over a tweak that may not have needed to be made or at the very least, I should leave alone.

As far as you upper-end Heritage guys looking at my butt--Stop it! My wife doesn't think I need to loose any weight except for getting rid of a few speakers. I can only imagine the condition of my posterior if I brought in the speakers your Theater systems have. 9.gif I am in awe.

----------------

On 3/18/2005 10:49:12 PM tkdamerica wrote:

JEEZ...You Heritage fellows are going to teach me to start a thread with a suggestive title-- I am going to bed and when I wake up tomorrow, I just KNOW someone is going to have an opinion on my REAR SPEAKERS!
14.gif

----------------

Well, it's morning now and I don't

11.gif

9.gif

You are right. The only response I am getting is from Heritage owners like yourself, Coytee. I guess Reference Folks are enjoying their systems too much to respond--I think I will keep my set up the way it is and go to the next obsession.

My first response was well if your a female... lets see your rear, and I will tell ya too! hahahaha

Ref or Heritage... it is all good.. Relax.

----------------

On 3/18/2005 11:13:58 AM tkdamerica wrote:

My questions are these: 1) Does anyone see anything wrong with putting the RB-75's horizontally? 2) Would flipping them 180 degrees with horns in the corner be a better situation? 3) Would the vertical placement, which these speakers were designed, have an advantage over either of the other 2 options?

----------------

1) No

2) No

3) No

how's that for easy answers?

Generally, it's best to have the woofers closer to the corners and the tweeters away from the walls because it reduces the early reflections while also helping boost the bass of the speaker a bit. The only thing I would change with your setup would be to unbolt the HF horn and rotate it 90 degrees so that your dispersion pattern is wider in the horizontal than in the vertical...this will help to reduce reflections on the cieling and also widen your sweet spot.

If it's possible, you may want to experiment with all the positions you've mentioned and listen for yourself which you prefer. Just make sure you aim the speaker at your head (is your shelf tilted down to make this happen?).

IndyKlipschFan, No I'm not & yes it is.

2.gif

Thanks DRWHO for the info and taking time to answer my thread. After looking at the sideways design (as compared to the RB-75 Bookshelf) of the KL-650-THX Klipsch speakers is when I decided to try and experiment. The long story is I did try it all 3 ways (over and over and over...). I couldn't tell much, if any difference, so I decided to post the question before I secured the shelves, which I just finished doing.

The speakers are tilted down, pointed straight at the back of my head. Both are in corners, and the woofers are approx. 12 inches from the side walls.

I appreciate what you are saying about the horn. I noticed when I laid the RB-75 on it's side it made the horn position 60 x 90, which made my conceived speaker position different from the KL-650 (I realize they also us different horns, etc.). That was another reason for my post.

Insofar as unbolting the horn and rotating it 90 degrees, The RB-75's front is a solid piece of plastic from top to bottom, with the woofer inserted in it.

TDK

Do what ever sounds better of course, but I think I would have started exactly where you did, if you were going to put them on their side, with the woofers in the corner. Notice any sound difference when vertical? In most cases the rear surrounds are mostly atmosphere. Was thinking you must have enough speakers to start on a second 7.1 system now with your extra set of RF3s and RS7s. Any luck finding any good jazz cds?

Jacksonbart,

On 5.1 movies I don't notice any difference with the RB-75's compared to the RS-7's that I had back there. The big difference is on Music Video DVD's with good sound tracks. I just listened to Peter Gabriel's "Play-The Videos," (greatest hits) DVD, recorded in DTS 96/24 and having the 5.1 converted to "7.1" is freaking incredible!!!

I also feel there should be a difference on Dolby-EX and DTS-ES which I will play around this week. I am not moving any speakers out of this room:-)!!!

I DO have too many speakers. I have a pair of RB-5 II's that I am trying to work into a bedroom theater 7.1 setup, but aesthetically, my wife won't let me do it until it looks nicer:-( My Legend setup at work is a 7.1 system.

No luck at Bestbuy today where I found the DVD-A/SACD selection has gotten even smaller--I am bummed. I will venture out again tomorrow.

TKD

Wow backwall only 7.5 feet wide, fully equipped with 2 RB75 and a RSW15. Call in the artillery.

I have RB25's for left and right surround. They are in corners of the room about a foot down from a 8 foot ceiling angled slightly down. They really pound out serious sound in those corners. Just a little difference than your set up mine are 27 feet apart. I find them awesome as surround or as 6 channel stereo.

How do you like your sub in the left rear? I am considering moving mine back there also.

I own 3 RB75's LCR and love them.

Gib

gibby214,

I am using RB-75's as mains in my bedroom theater and I see why you chose them. It appears you have a nice setup as well.

My Theater is basically composed of 2 small rooms and the seating position is in the middle. Behind me a 7.5ft by 7.5 with low ceiling. Main viewing area 13 1/2 by 16 1/2 with high A-frame ceiling, on 2nd floor, with other obstacles.

I bought the RSW-15 to put in front of my TV to replace the KSW-15 I had there. What I didn't realize was that the tremendous magnet in the RSW messed up the picture of my RPTV (valuable lesson learned).

There was no where else aesthetically I could put a 15 inch Sub in my main viewing area (except in front of the TV) so I put it behind me. It sounded directional; not bad, but you could tell where the sub was.

I could and did put a RSW-12 in my main viewing area, put the RSW in another theater (Way OVERKILL for that set up;-), but I missed the power of the larger sub. I then had the bright idea of keeping the RSW-12 in the front viewing area to balance out the directionality of having the RSW-15 behind me (which I moved back)--In a word, NIRVANA!

I have read that notes below 80 Hz are supposed to be non-directional, so putting your sub behind you may work in your situation. Good thing for Klipsch and my salesperson, it didn't work in mine--But I'm not complaining.9.gif