my turn to compare

went to new york friday evening met up with the seller this morning(a guy with obvious eyesight problems, or honesty problems jury still out on that) straight thru driving to get back home, set up the la scalas with my pre conceived notion's, "they cant be that much better" go thru all the fun of moving 2 sets cornwalls, a set of heresy's, and of course the la scalas. put the la scalas where the corns were setting (get a good A-B comparison) put on the last album i had listened to before the trip, sounds pretty d#$% good, next put in a cd i hace been listening to quite alot willie nelsons greatest track 1 blue eyes crying in the rain. then it hits me hey willie is singing harmony in that verse, never heard that before not even with the cornwalls and the heresy on top, so i guess the immediate verdict is they are that much better!!!!!!!, now one big question i have is about the supposed lack of bass, these thing rock the whole house is vibrating, setting in my listening chair i can feel the bass in my chest, couldnt feel that before either, la scalas have officially replaced cornwalls as the main speakers in the 2 channell set up although i am running 4 speakers with 2 amps la scala's, and cornwalls atop them. sounds great now my neighbors will really hate meHE HE HE HE!!!!!!!!!10.gif Joe

----------------

On 3/19/2005 7:29:42 PM rtaylor wrote:

Damn Joe it's good to hear you having that much fun. Don't forget to breath now and then. LOL. Now let's start modding them,
11.gif9.gif
just kidding. Randy

edit, are they not what the seller said they were. a little rougher than what he put out?

----------------

well lets see where to start, his discription "excellent cabinets, original unmolested", during the auction i could see they had been sanded thru the veneer in 2 places so i asked if that was indeed what happened, and if there was any other damage, his reply was they were sanded thru top layer but there is no veneer on these it just went to the next layer(seller obviously knows nothing about wood products) and the rest of the cabs are excellent, after purchase another forum member informed me the mids and the crossover were not original, after picking them up i see the mids are refurbished models stamped with a big ink R on each one, the crossovers are AL< and should be AA, the woofers are the round magnet type, should have been the square in 1977, so his idea of excellent unmolested speakers is both cabs have several chips of the veneer, plus the sand thru, and the only original drivers may be the tweeter not sure as i dont know how to determine the date on them the mid horns are the metal ones at least. awaiting a reply from him as he sent a flunky to meet me when i picked them up, he was a no show I WONDER WHY HMMMMM

YOU THINK MAYBE HE KNEW, they still sound good and were a fair buy at 800.0010.gif Joe

----------------

On 3/19/2005 9:04:43 PM bkrop wrote:

Yep, first thing monday, set up an appointment to have your hearing checked 'cause everyone knows LaScalas HAVE NO BASS!
11.gif2.gif

Congratulations!
----------------

Ain't it the truth BBBBBBUUUUULLLLLLSSSSHHHHIIIIIIITTTTT

Joe,

Congrats on you new babies. I bought mine new 25 years ago and I fall in love with them over and over. I agree on the bass, When I hear people say that they are bass shy I wonder what they mean. Granted La Scalas's don't go as low as there big brothers but they can sure make my inards squirm.

again, congrats!

scooter

rick, i was short on time , i mean i had a flat tire, i mean the van blew a head gasket, i mean???????????ok ill be right there would you like those double wrapped sir!!!!!

HE HE HE HE HEE9.gif i will donate you some of the sleeves if you need them i have about 1700 left overi am keeping a box of 500 for new purchases but i will definately send you some buddy. by the way received the wire yesterday thanks alot jury is still out on the corns 10.gif Joe

----------------

On 3/19/2005 10:18:39 PM st. patrick wrote:

. . . . so, just a teeny weeny bit of vinyl, eh???? man oh man, nice collection of lp's dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------

WHY THANK YOU PATRICK if you would care for a first hand look it can be arranged (i still have to create a file with the list of albums) and all help would be appreciated i may even let you play one of them for the help9.gif Joe and yes i to am having great difficulty understanding the bad rep the la scala has with regards to bass i mean what the hell could you be looking for if this is low bass i would hate to see there bass, would probably leave with a headache, and not walking just bouncing out the door9.gif