LA Jazz Trip - Long

garymd

Scott (Boomac) and I spent 3 amazing days in LA with Allan last week. I believe I speak for Scott when I say we had a helluva time.

Allan picked me up at LAX (worst airport I've ever flown from BTW) Wednesday, and after a quick stop at the hotel, it was off to his place to spin some vinyl and get acquainted. I don't care how much time you spend talking to someone on a forum. It just isn't the same.

First of all, Allan has an absolutely gorgeous home. 1927 vintage, almost entirely original. Beautiful wood everywhere, tall ceilings, all the cool touches that came with the house when it was built and then some. His system matches the home quite well too. The Macs look new, as do his 1964 vertical cornwalls. As mint as I've ever seen for the age. He's right about the sound as well. His system is perfect for acoustic jazz and the room's acoustics are excellent. The horns sound soooo realistic while the drums and bass come right through the wood floors and hit you in the chest. Doesn't hurt having one of the best jazz vinyl collections in the country either! Not too shabby having your choice of ANY great jazz LP ever made!

Allan took me back to the hotel to meet up with Scott who was attending his son's tennis match before getting ready for Sonny Rollins at the Disney Concert Hall. VIP treatment from start to finish. A drink in the Founder's Room then to our seats. At 74 years old, Sonny did not dissappoint. The guy can still play! Maybe he doesn't get around the stage like he used to but he still has his chops. Excellent show.

We spent Thursday touring Allan's 4 warehouses filled with movie props (more impressive then can be put in words!)before heading to the LAX Crowne Plaza Hotel where the Jon Mayer trio was playing the lobby. Jon's been around since the 50s and has played with many of the greats before spending a number of years with The Manhattan Transfer. On drums was the legendary Roy McCurdy (70 years old but looks about 40) and the bass player was an amazing young talent whose name escapes me at the moment (Chris something?). It was the first time I've been in such an intimate setting with such talented and legendary musicians. After the 3rd set, Jon Mayer autographed a CD for me and Scott and we all had a chance to chat with the band. Very cool. Did I mention they were amazing? I'd guess there were about 15 people there for the music.

We spent most of Friday drinking Peats coffee and spinning vinyl at Allan's before heading to Charlie O's to see more great jazz including Jon Mayer and Roy McCurdy again but this time with Count Basie's old trumpet player (name escapes me) and the legendary John Heard on bass. Tom (Pirhana) met us there and it was very cool walking into the place and having guys like McCurdy and Mayer recognize you and say hello. Jon Mayer even remembered my name and I spent a good deal of time chatting with Heard who has been on over 400 jazz records going back to the 50s and has played with most all the great ones. Of course all these guys already know Allan who is a regular at these gigs. I think Friday night at Charlie O's was my favorite part of the trip. The music was incredible!!! I know I was in awe watching these guys playing right in front of us as we sat at the bar. I can't begin to put in words how great it was watching these guys play. Just unbelievable. I think we may have a potential jazz convert on our hands in Pirhana after that session!

Allan and his wife Carrie are just great people and wonderful hosts. The trip couldn't have been better. We didn't get much sleep and were going on pure adrenaline by Friday. Good food, great company and incredible music.

For anyone who ever had any doubts, Allan is one cool cat and I'm lucky as hell to have him as a friend. It's always great to see Scott and spending time with Tom was an added bonus. I hope we can all do it again sometime (sooner rather than later!). Thanks again Allan for a GREAT trip.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Gary covered things quite well. That being said, Ill just add a couple thoughts.

I had a great time in Southern California last week. It was fun to watch my kid play tennis on Wednesday. I met up with my old Klipsch pal, garymd later that afternoon and that evening, Gary and I had the pleasure of meeting Allan Songer and his lovely wife Carrie.

Gary was the same old guy I knew from Indy and a couple short visits to Maryland. Although weve actually spent little time together, its always been interesting, fun and rewarding. Now, it seems like Ive know him for years. Hes a good friend and a guy that always makes you feel great about being alive and kickin.

Now, what about Allan? Heres this left coast guy that neither of us had ever met or even talked to in person. Well, Gary and I both had the impression that Allan was going to be a great guy to hang out with and those impressions turned out to be correct. On top of that, he was a wonderful and gracious host. Before I even got there, Allan did a couple favors for my kid and The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Tennis Team. They were eight very happy and appreciative kids when I saw them on Wednesday. I second everything Gary said about Allans residence and all. Its a very cool, yet warm home thats decorated with splendid taste and class. During our visit, a certain highlight was listening to an original copy of Blue Note 1616. With a fresh cup of Peets Coffee in hand, I sat amazed at Lee Morgans solo on The Way You Look Tonight. The Mac 30s, Thorens and Cornwalls surely enhanced the experience. Morgan never sounded better and Im now smitten with the up grade bug. Coffee, coffee maker, system and original discs! Allan has neat stuff and his system plays great jazz! There might be a couple people that know more about jazz than Allan but I doubt anybody has more appreciation for the genre.

The Sonny Rollins Concert was wonderful and the elderly gentleman can really play! It was an absolute thrill to see such a legend perform. I was not thrilled with Sonnys drummer, however. His excessive use of the rim shot was overkill and at times, very annoying. He was using a snare with wood rims and it was just too shrill and loud for the setting. Please understand thats just a minor criticism of the overall excellent experience.

On Thursday night we were treated to The Jon Mayer Trio. Jon was good enough for me to purchase three of his CDs. By the way, theyre all excellent and I highly recommend them. We also went to a neat old place and listened to a cool group of five USC students. Previously, I had asked Allan if there were any young guys playin our kinda music. This group answered that question. They were really quite good.

Tom joined us on Friday for drinks, dinner and great jazz at Charley Os. When you get to sit that close and listen to cats that played with Count Basie, youre in jazz heaven. What an outstanding experience. It was great to see Tom, another Indy buddy, and his presence helped make it a fantastic night.

While out in LA, Allan gave us a tour of Omega Cinema Props, took us to Amoeba Records and ran us all over the place. He even helped me with my baggage!

Guys like Allan, Gary and Tom help make the Klipsch Forum the great institution it is. My three and a half days in LA will go down as a great experience with really good friends. Good friends that love life, jazz and Klipsch Speakers. To quote Allan, Is this a great country or what?

Wow! Great live music in intimate surroundings shared with some fellow Klipsch fanatatics, with time off to listen to rare jazz lps on Cornwalls.

Too boring for words.9.gif

Too often we spend our lives bouncing from one thing to another, doing this and that like steeel balls on the pin ball machine of life. Every now and then though, a few break away and actually partake of life and find time to enjoy the pleasures it offers.

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!

The Universe's "Tilt" light just went on.

At Charley O's we paid ZERO cover charge. Drinks and food were very reasonable and we got to sit and listen to four of the greatest jazz musicians alive today. If you're ever in that area, please go to Charley O's and check it out. Considering the quality of the performance, the joint should be STANDING ROOM ONLY. There is no way that any music lover wouldn't appreciate this scene.