Auction sniper ebay

jbsl

Well I was going to try and get the single La Scala on Ebay but I wasn't sure I would be able to watch the end and keep bidding. So I set up a Auction snipe but for some reason did not work. I was willing to pay $110 more than the winner did. It was the first time I did this so I guess I did not set up right. Even if I did not set up right I'm just not going to bid unless I am sure I can watch the end bidding.

Xman

Well open mouth insert feet!! I just checked my email and had a message from ebay saying I had won the auction for $305. Now I have to drive to Houston pick them up and. So now I will have La Scalas on the 3 front channels with KLF 20s as my rears. This one is a 1975 and mine are 2004 so I may have to get Dean to make a crossover that will match the ones in the 2004 La Scalas. May not have to since I'm not going to use the center to overpower the other two but use it to fill in the center a little bit to bring up vocals and any solo instrament playing center stage. I'll post pics once I get it.

Xman

Doesn't that stink???

I've had too many issues with bidding on ebay. Here's the one that really gets to me........

I'll be surfing on ebay for an hour or two before an auction finishes. I'm ALL SIGNED IN and ready to go for the last 30 seconds. I enter my bid....then ebay wants me to.....

SIGN IN AGAIN???????

Whaaaaaat????? I JUST DID. It happened on a second auction....I even considered "re-signing in" before that final bid, but you only had a link to "sign out". Lost that one, too.

So then I go to BidSlammer, and this has worked out so far - but I sure see lots of complaints from various bidders using various sniping sites, who turn out to not get bids submitted on occasion.

I wonder when/if Ebay has considered taking the sniping action for themselves by offering that as a service for an extra fee. After all, the auctions end up the same no matter what other site is doing the sniping, so I figure it's only a matter of time before Ebay figures out how to handle that action in thier own house.

I think ebay should consider doing something like ubid.com. To eliminate sniping, the auction keeps active at the end until there is no action on the item for more than one minute. They have done this for several years, and I have long thought that ebay would do well to adopt something similiar. The sniping is cheating IMHO. Real auctions go until no one is willing to bid anylonger. Not clock based.

Xman, Nice pick up!

You are going to have to get that 70V transformer out of there. Best bet is to buy/build an ALK network. That way you can voice the center as close as possible to the newer ones.

Short of that, recapping and bridging the AA network that's in there will get you to 90%.

It's gonna sound DYNOMITE!!!!3.gif3.gif

----------------

On 3/27/2005 6:29:52 PM fletcherkane wrote:

The sniping is cheating IMHO. Real auctions go until no one is willing to bid anylonger. Not clock based.

----------------

i don't see how sniping is cheating. you put in your bid within the allotted time just like everybody else did. just because the winning bidder put his bid in at the closing minutes and had a higher bid is not cheating. i put in my max bid within the last 2 minutes, go to the kitchen and get a cold Bud, which takes about 2 minutes, come back and hit refresh and see if i won. if i won great if i didn't means i did't bid high enough. just my 2 cents

----------------

On 3/27/2005 9:31:13 AM jbsl wrote:

Well open mouth insert feet!! I just checked my email and had a message from ebay saying I had won the auction for $305. Now I have to drive to Houston pick them up and. So now I will have La Scalas on the 3 front channels with KLF 20s as my rears. This one is a 1975 and mine are 2004 so I may have to get Dean to make a crossover that will match the ones in the 2004 La Scalas. May not have to since I'm not going to use the center to overpower the other two but use it to fill in the center a little bit to bring up vocals and any solo instrament playing center stage. I'll post pics once I get it.

Xman
----------------

Xman,

Not to put a damper on things, but I've heard one too many horror stories, so I find it's better to sound stupid than be sorry. Hope you're taking cash with you when you pick them up, and not sending it to someone... Considering you had thought that you lost the auction, and still you get an email saying that you won..

Probably nothing wrong with it... just wanted to point out that things like this have happened in the past... Ask timmykid!

Anyways, if all's kosher... Congrats. Sounds like a good score!

Later,

-F

----------------

On 3/27/2005 9:40:43 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

Doesn't that stink???

I've had too many issues with bidding on ebay. Here's the one that really gets to me........

I'll be surfing on ebay for an hour or two before an auction finishes. I'm ALL SIGNED IN and ready to go for the last 30 seconds. I enter my bid....then ebay wants me to.....

SIGN IN AGAIN???????

Whaaaaaat????? I JUST DID. It happened on a second auction....I even considered "re-signing in" before that final bid, but you only had a link to "sign out". Lost that one, too.

----------------

Yeah, I've had that happen to me also. It's because sometimes ebay will want to verify it's really you. To avoid this problem, open another browser window and make a minimal bid just slightly higher than the current bid, and submit it. This will take you through any possible 're-signing in' procedures. Then make another bid with your maximum amount, but don't submit it. Watch the bidding screen in another window and when the clock has run down low enough for you, then submit your high bid from the other window. This also let's you monitor the current high bid in case you decide to increase your final bid (which you shouldn't be doing). This always works for me.

I posted some pics under "1975 single La". They did some sort of mod on the crossover so may have to get a ALK or one of Dean's crossovers. The cabinet needs work but I'm going to put the speaker under the tv stand and make a speaker grille that will cover up everthing below the tv. So I won't have to do any cosmetic repairs for now.

----------------

On 3/28/2005 3:53:34 AM cmdridq wrote:

----------------

On 3/27/2005 9:40:43 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

Doesn't that stink???

SIGN IN AGAIN???????

----------------

Yeah, I've had that happen to me also. It's because sometimes ebay will want to verify it's really you. To avoid this problem, open another browser window and make a minimal bid just slightly higher than the current bid, and submit it. This will take you through any possible 're-signing in' procedures. Then make another bid with your maximum amount, but don't submit it. Watch the bidding screen in another window and when the clock has run down low enough for you, then submit your high bid from the other window. This also let's you monitor the current high bid in case you decide to increase your final bid (which you shouldn't be doing). This always works for me.

----------------

Another way is to click on "My eBay" a few minutes before the end of the auction, if for some reason your are not signed in, you'll have to sign in to get there. You can go diectly back to your auction from there. It's also handy to use the auction tracking features in "My eBay".

----------------

On 3/27/2005 8:18:16 PM Budman wrote:

----------------

On 3/27/2005 6:29:52 PM fletcherkane wrote:

The sniping is cheating IMHO. Real auctions go until no one is willing to bid anylonger. Not clock based.

----------------

i don't see how sniping is cheating. you put in your bid within the allotted time just like everybody else did. just because the winning bidder put his bid in at the closing minutes and had a higher bid is not cheating. i put in my max bid within the last 2 minutes, go to the kitchen and get a cold Bud, which takes about 2 minutes, come back and hit refresh and see if i won. if i won great if i didn't means i did't bid high enough. just my 2 cents

----------------

Agreed. "Real" (sealed bid) auctions work this way. eBay is sort of a hybrid of live & sealed.

BTW, I recently learned a hard lesson on eBay. I had done my usual research on an item, and had figured out how I might get it for the best price. It was a pair of tubes, sold as a "multiple item", or "Dutch" auction. I ended up bidding on both items, putting in a bid far above ($25 above, each) the next-highest bid. Well, I won the auction, and I paid $25 each more than the next-highest bid! I didn't realize that the usual automatic "proxy bidding" does not happen on these auctions. Now, if I had only bid on one of the tubes (what I should have done), I would have gotten it for the same price as the next-highest bidder, regardless of how high my bid was. Live and learn.

----------------

On 3/28/2005 9:47:37 AM fini wrote:

BTW, I recently learned a hard lesson on eBay. I had done my usual research on an item, and had figured out how I might get it for the best price. It was a pair of tubes, sold as a "multiple item", or "Dutch" auction. I ended up bidding on both items, putting in a bid far above ($25 above, each) the next-highest bid. Well, I won the auction, and I paid $25 each more than the next-highest bid! I didn't realize that the usual automatic "proxy bidding" does not happen on these auctions. Now, if I had only bid on one of the tubes (what I should have done), I would have gotten it for the
same
price as the next-highest bidder, regardless of how high my bid was. Live and learn.

----------------

YOWCH!!!! That hurts!

Even if you select the "Keep me signed in on this computer" option, your ability to bid gets cancelled at some point. It says you're signed in, and you can still go to the "My eBay" page - but you can't leave feedback (or bid) without signing in again.

The best way to counter this is to sign out, then sign back in within 30 minutes of placing your bid. I just picked the 30 minute figure (and it's worked for me over 200 times without exception).

Also, if you sign in from more than one computer, this will result in a false sign in on all but the last machine you signed in from.