Disappointed with Harman Kardon

PrestonTom

I had always liked Harman Kardon products before. I had been a big fan of their high current amps (I matched one with some Magnepans and Vandersteens that I had with great results) and my girlfriend had some rather demanding speakers and a new HK receiver took care of all the problems.

However, tonight I went to pick up a brand new HK CD player(Model FL 8385)since my 20 year old Nakamichi OMS5A was finally shot. When I got home the HK unit was a dud. The thing made a terrible grinding sound when playing CDs. This was not a refurbished unit - it was new, fresh out of the box (and there was no visible damage to the unit or the box).

What a disappointment! Maybe this was a fluke, but I do wonder what has happened to quality control.

Tom the Frustrated

Luck of the draw!

I will not say what (not Klipsch), but I witnessed a very hi-end product (hand made in a developed European country) that was dead in more ways than one out of the box (this could not have happened during shipping!) - it happens.

Sorry, try another one, will probably last you another 20 years! 2.gif

Gee, a company that sells over $1B made one bad unit?

Back in the day:

Yamaha 33%

Denon 20%

NAD 5%

Onkyo 100%

Sony 200%+

Sony became a four letter word around the shop. First we couldn't get enough to sell, it was a 'buy' rated item in a consumer magazine, then we were thanking our lucky star that we didn't get that many.

HK does make "some"good sounding gear,if I were looking to buy a cd player HK would not be on my list.I've owned several HK products and the current avrs sound pretty good and have good power(I have a avr630 in a 2nd setup).As far as reliability I've had a few lemons and a few keepers.

----------------

On 3/29/2005 8:44:37 AM gcoker wrote:

Is not H?K owned by JBL which also makes JVC and Jensen?

----------------

Harman International is the audio Borg, they own JBL, Mark-Levinson, Infinity, and more.

At least they let their aquisitions maintain their own look/feel/design/market, instead of making them Just Like Harman.

----------------

On 3/29/2005 9:36:49 AM Thoriated_Tiger wrote:

----------------

On 3/29/2005 8:44:37 AM gcoker wrote:

Is not H?K owned by JBL which also makes JVC and Jensen?

----------------

Harman International is the audio Borg, they own JBL, Mark-Levinson, Infinity, and more.

----------------

like AKG, Lexicon, Crown, DBX, etc... many of the classic manufacturers. OTOH they have NO relation to Jensen and JVC.