Klipsch RF7

Scorpio007

Hi to all,

I am very interested bo buy these and have some questions and some problems also. First problem is, here in Slovenia nobody sells them. No representatives here from Klipsch. Another problem is, I could not listen to them before buying and must trust oppinions from users in this forum. Many people says, Klipsch are good for PA, or rock and related music, but for serious listeninng not? How are they with classical music? I prefer all kinds of music, listenning levels from quiet till

loud, depends on music and mood. Are they bright sounding?

Have Sugden integrated with 25Watts class A, that would be enough I suppose, Klipsch are very sensitive. Last question, I read somewhere in forum about crossower modification from Dave( am I right?), please, could me somebody says something about that?

Thanks for your help in adwance!

First off, the speakers are AWESOME! They are not bright. You do not even need to think about messing with the crossover network. Just buy them new and enjoy them. You will have one of the best speakers made on this planet. I would buy them and enjoy them.

----------------

On 3/31/2005 12:21:38 PM leok wrote:

Scorpio007,

I tend to prefer my RF-7s over my Chorus-IIs for classical listening. I think the Sugden is one of the best ss amps you can use with the RF-7 and probably surpasses the performance of many Tube amps.

Leo

----------------

Leo,

Could you please expand a little upon why you prefer the RF7's over the Chorus IIs?

I was looking to get Choruses (I or II) and they are a little scarce. The RF7's I can get new for a pretty good price.

Thanks.

P.S. Is anyone out there in Klipschland familiar with RF3's? They sure get high marks on audioreview.

P.S. Is anyone out there in Klipschland familiar with RF3's? They sure get high marks on audioreview.

I own a pair of RF-3IIs... awesome speakers, especially given the fact that I got them on clearance for under $500.

They are great. Some downsides to them are: they are slightly harsh (so a warm-sounding amp is best) and their resolution ruins any attempts to listen to an inferior recording.

To offset their slight harshness, I am using a B&K amp, which is known for its warmth, and an MSB Link III DAC, which rolls off the highs ever so slighly.

RF-7s are supposed to be much smoother overall, especially after Dean's crossovers.

I find the RF-7 has a cleaner, more natural sounding high end (upper midrange and up (the range covered by the horn). I find, for example, it handles the violin (single and massed) better. Complex combinations of high frequency sounds remain distinct (full orchestra, pipe organ mixtures for example). Bass goes a bit lower than the Chorus-II and the overall frequency and dynamic response is good. The RF-7 has a little more frequency or dynamic response coloration than the Chorus-II. But overall, instruments and ensembles sound more natural due to the clean high end.

The Chorus-II has a more coherent overall dynamic response. In terms of frequency response it seems a bit flatter, and with a Sugden amp it would stay that way (I think with tube amps there can be a midrange peak corresponding to an impedance peak) The Sugden low output impedance will ignore that peak. The Chorus-II, however sounds confused in the upper midrange. I attribute that to the midrange-tweeter crossover. I want that range to be as pure as possible, so for me, it's a bad place for a crossover.

They're both great speakers. Fortunately for me, I have both.

Leo

Yes, the RF-7 are some great speakers. Stunning with the right amp. I even actually like them better than my Klipschorn's, overall the RF-7's have it all.

Don't worry about any crossover change, the RF-7 do great just as it is. With the right

amp there is no need to change the crossover. The RF-7 are very smooth but that will depend with the amp you run it with. Many run it with Rotel, Parasound Halo, and B&K with great success

in keeping the sound smooth.

There is many who feel that the RF-7 is the best overall speaker Klipsch has put out to date, myself included. The resolution these speakers reveal has not been matched by previous models.

Very interested answers. I know, Sugden is excellent integrated and I assume too, it could be good match with RF7. Where could I find some pictures about enclosure details and crossower picture? I will take a risk and order them probably from Germany. There are lower prices in USA, but then comes transport and custom cost etc,etc. I will be the first owner from these in Slovenia, after break in I will post my impressions on this forum. Must admit, I am little afraid, buying without listenning, but in this case have no other chance. Thank you all for yours support.

Regards to all

While you're waiting for Dean to get back to you (he's busy and sometimes gets behind in his correspondence), you might use the "search" feature above and use "DeanG" as the author name, "2 Channel" as the forum, and crossover as the search term.

Should be plenty to read up on !

Uh, DeanG, super what I saw in all posts. I hope in three weeks are RF7s here and my decision is to upgrade loudspeakers with your modification. Please give me instructions how to manage whole thing. Should I send crossower to you? Please PM me with price and all other needed things, I am realy very interested to do that. I have had enough changes with several loudspeakers and I am realy tired from all that (and my wife also), so I am 57 years now and have no fun to search for something "better". I saw enough posts here about sonic quality from RF7, so I have feeling I make no mistake in this case.

Thank you for your nice answer and also thanks to all you guys for support.1.gif

Dean's mods (as many posts have confirmed) do have a positive & obvious audible effect on the RF7. 'Need' is such a subjective word. I have objectively stated before that I believe the change to represent a very good value/expendature, based on a before/after listen.

SSH

I would like to add to my review of Dean's crossover mod. As my processor and amplification have improved, the RF-7s have benefitted from more detail and smooth sound. The crossover mod sounds better as the electronics improve.

The crossover mod has me at virtually zero use of THX post processing to reduce the shrill sound. SACDs sound like I have the musicians in the room with me.

I can hear the diffeence between my RC-7 without the mod and my RF-7s with the mod. When all of the new toys are paid for, the RC-7 will be first on the list to upgrade.

Bill

hi all,

out of curiousity i went and auditioned the rf7s. they were hooked to a macintosh system and the room offered pretty much ideal placing, etc. frankly i wasn't really that impressed. they had a tremendous amount of power. the equalisation was biased towards the bass end of the spectrum until i adjusted according to my tastes but even at neutral it seemed to my ear to be more of a 'knock your socks off' powererful sound as compared with the klipschorns more full-range clarity. i was listening to a digital cd recording of handel's messiah.

is it possible it was reflecting more the qualities of the macintosh system than the intrinsic sound of the rf7? i didnt have the oppurtunity to switch back and forth with any other speakers in the shop so it's just my initial impression i'm expressing. this shop doesn't have any klipschorns to compare with and the room mainly has klipsh and b&k speakers. just wondered if anyone else had a similar or different reaction compared to mine. i also have to wonder if it's possible the recording itself might have had something to do with the sound i was hearing. any thoughts would be fun to hear...

Pete, You may have been listening to the room as much as the RF-7s. The Klipschorns are hard to compete against. Most folks on this board would prefer the Klipschorns.

It is usefull to remember that the RF-7s were designed for both home theater and music. The RF-7s come much closer to the Klipschorns with an improved crossover.

McIntosh gear usually sounds good with Klipsch. Any amp that runs the RF-7s must be able to handle the 2.8 ohm minimum impedance. Many good amps are challeneged by the impedance curve of the RF-7s.

Bill