Concerts, to go or not to go????

mandi

The only concerts I have paid for in the past ten years have been symphony concerts.

We have a free series of more contemporary music in Chattanooga every summer. Artists have included: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Richard Thompson, Maura O'Connell, John Hiatt, San Bush, Doc Watson, Cajun bands, various jazz groups. It's been going on for years. You still get the drunks making noise, as it's outside and they sell beer there. Some nights are better than others.

Marvel

...in September, I plan on going to Atlanta to go to ProgPower VI.

Skonopa:

My band is working on a contract to play prog Power next year !

I go to good shows all the time but no $100 a pop racket.I see lots of great bands from back in the day,Grand Funk,B.O.C.,Steppenwolf,Leon Russell etc..the price is about $15.00 for a great party /show of songs I really want to hear.

My wife wanted to see the Stones,not me,she went for a few hundred bucks,after standing in lines and waiting for a bracelet and what a load of crap.I don't care to play games to see anyone but Elvis/Zeppelin,which ain't gonna happen.

I,on the same night went to see George Thorogood at a local bar for $15.00 and had a great time,no games.

----------------

On 4/1/2005 11:46:12 PM Ray Garrison wrote:

Wait until a couple of days before the show, check the internet ticket sites. Lot's of venues free up tickets that were held in reserve but had no takers. My daughter got 4th row tickets for a "sold out" Janet Jackson concert last year by checking every day during the last 10 days before the concert, and she got them at a discount.

----------------

I agree... My wife just got us tickets to the sold out Kenny Chesney show Thursday, on Wednesday. The seats were a few rows in front of the sound board. Even if your'e not into newer country, I would highly recommend seeing Kenny Chesney... he's an excellent performer, well worth the price of admission!

"Well... you know the saying - If it's too loud..... LOL, just poking fun :)

"

I haven't heard that one.

I do remember the story about the two ladies chatting at lunch:

Betty: I find sex to be a pain in the ***!

Sally: Well roll over!

Well about 90 % of concerts I've gone to have sounded like crap, plus you have the whisler whistling in my left ear and the yeahaw man yeahawing in my right ear, parking problems, and crowds, oh yeah and all the people on whatever flavor of mind altering spices that lead to the fights, and yeahmen,whislers, etc. To me a concert is any venue that will hold at least 1000 people. I live in Austin, TX and one of the few concerts that was worth the money was BB King with Jimmy Vaughn. Also saw the Reverend Horton Heat at Antoines, holds 300-450, and it was a great show. But 99% of the time my house(I can kick out whisler and yeahaw man), my system(if the sound sucks I can addjust it to my liking or kick the band out), and the sound quality of CDs or DVDAs, SACDs or DVD concerts sound better and beats the live thing(plus you pay alot less and can play it over and over,etc). Don't get me wrong there are great concerts by bands but I guess for me the negatives outway the positives. I still go to live performances but if it is more than $20 I don't go don't care who it is. Sorry about being so anti social with the concerts but when you are paying that much money the returns on your investment do not seem worth it but that's just me.

Xman

My particular dilemma is that Savannah has such a small civic center that it limits the acts that will appear here. Add to that a so-so promoter and all we seem to get are rap artists and second rate rock/country bands.

And just when you think all is lost, we manage to score Alison Kraus and Union Station. That was worth every bit of the $45 we paid. Hell - we even had Lynerd Skynerd & ZZ Top show up. But more times than not, we gotta D-R-I-V-E to see any decent acts.

There's a place called Wild Adventures in south Georgia that offers some killer deals. The price of a one day's admission to the theme park also pays for your concert ticket. And for $10 more you can get reserved seats. The wife & I saw a couple of acts last year. Not bad....ride roller coasters all day and end the evening with a beer or two and listening to a concert.

Not too many acts out there I just gotta see, but the Red Hot Chili Peppers is one for sure. Oh...and maybe Liquid Soul. Of course Ohio Players would be cool. And there's Chicago. Oh - and then there's.... 1.gif

Tom

Best show I've seen in 10 years was Jon Mayer, John Heard, Bobby Shew and Roy McCurdy at Charlie Os in LA a few weeks ago. No cover charge and we hung out and chatted with the band between sets.

Can't do that at an Eagles or James Taylor concert and the music is incredible. Nobody yelling in my ear except Pirhana and Boomac!2.gif

Tom,

I love Savannah GA.!!!!!!!!!!!!!I was stationed at Hunter and lived there for five years. If it was not for the "no see ums" I would move there. I still may move there if I can find work!! My wife and family is from Savannah.

The only think I ever saw at the civic center was a David Copperfield show before he started doing the TV thing.

Can't wait to come back for a visit.