HK 430 - $28.50!!

richieb

----------------

On 4/7/2005 5:48:31 AM greg928s4 wrote:

I would actually like to try a 430 sometime.

Greg

----------------

I got 430's for each of my daughters' systems. They look them and sound great. One is driving a pair of KG4's and the other a pair of Polk studio monitors.

Very nice!

----------------

On 4/7/2005 8:36:57 AM maxg wrote:

You bought an amplifier for less than $30 and it is not digital. I am going to be sick.

Does it actually work?

----------------

Not only do they work, but they work incredibly well. I got a 430 for my son's Heresys and it sounds FANTASTIC. I haven't hooked it up to my Khorns yet (just to see) but it was much better on the Heresys than the TEAC 700P, that's for sure.

Forrest

----------------

On 4/7/2005 9:17:22 AM Woodog wrote:

----------------

You bought an amplifier for less than $30 and it is not digital. I am going to be sick.

Does it actually work?

----------------

Not only do they work, but they work incredibly well. I got a 430 for my son's Heresys and it sounds FANTASTIC. I haven't hooked it up to my Khorns yet (just to see) but it was much better on the Heresys than the TEAC 700P, that's for sure.

Forrest

----------------

Only wanted it for a second system for when I alternate the Cornwalls and Belles. Did not wnat the expense of separates and wanted FM capabilities. For $48 shipped, seemed a no brainer. We'll see.

----------------

**I ditched my digital amplifier for a vintage Mitsubishi receiver for 27 bucks, 47 with shipping.

I like the tone of it better than the little Sonic Impact homebrew amp I have, a lot better with the Cornwalls.

**I bought a HK 330B receiver for a friend for 30 bucks at a yard sale. Original owner bought it over in the Seattle area in '76. Not the dual-power type, but sounds great, and looks great. Actual veneered wood case. He loves it.

Does it actually work? Why is everything I buy so expensive? Please lets keep this a secret from SWMBO - OK?

**Mums the word....

----------------

----------------

On 4/8/2005 8:12:59 AM Dylanl wrote:

Maybe I am the only one to say this but when a friend brought a HK 430 over and we ran it on my Khorns it was very very average. It could not touch my Scott. Maybe the unit was messed up

----------------

When I first got my 630, I was disappointed. I put it in storager for a year. I was using an old Denon cd player. After taking it out of storage and switching to a Philips 963 SA, I am very pleased with the HK. Although I prefer my Scott LK-48, for $75 or so, the 630 is outstanding. I am now driving power hungry Magneplanars with it where the tubes are not feasible and it is great for a second system.

We all need to remember how we learned of the now legendary HK "tube slaying, end all, greatest SS ever made in any price range" receivers. Andy reccomended it to Heresy 2 guy as a great budget amp to get him started (I hope I have the fact right). And it is great in that respect.

Chris

I do not know how my single transformer harmon kardon 330B receiver compares to the Teac or Sonic Impact digital amps making all the fuss on this BBS, but for a $5 yard sale gift, but I am blown away by its value. On big ole horns, it is not the tube sound, and neither is it the incredible $6K Pass X250 super amp, which I have also auditioned in my own home, with the same equipment and media. Yet it has no annoying artifacts like most modern modest-price solid-state receivers do on big ole horns (Khorns and Cornwalls). I also had a beefy 70s vintage solid-state Nikko receiver, which was surprising good for the cost of a $100 repair. The attack and decay on notes is not as quick, the delicacy not as fragile, nor the image quite as good as my flea-powered Paramours, but the value, especially for beginners and cheap stake tweaking audiophiles like me is awesome.

16.gif