$10,000 - What speakers/pre-amp/amp do you buy *can't be K-Horns*

JBlake377

A pair of McIntosh MC 40s

A McIntosh C 22 Pre Amp

A pair of Chorus IIs

A Basis 2001 Turntable

A Vector Tone Arm

Whatever cart Gary, Larry, Edmond and Max agree on

Please note: I've not had the opportunity to preview the VRD Blueberry combo.

----------------

On 4/14/2005 9:50:56 PM jacksonbart wrote:

P.P.S. For even larger soundstage projection - 2 pairs of RF-7s in RR-LL configuration... 4 Palladium monos, same preamp... that should about use up the budget.

There is a member who actually has 6 RF7s across the front in RRR LLL configuration. Forget their user name, dont know how it would sound, but sure looked impressive. Anybody else see that post?
----------------

Don't mean to hijack a thread, but how would the electronics get configured for that? The wiring? Are there pres out there that can put out 3 outs of the same source?

-F

----------------

On 4/14/2005 3:29:37 PM 3dzapper wrote:

I agree with the Cornwalls.

For an amp, I'd buy that Seth that Dr Jeff is selling. The pre would come from Juicy Music, a Blueberry .

Rick

----------------

I'm with Rick on this one ...

I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been more action on Jeff's pre- and amp combination. These are quite special and assembled at a build quality that is over the top. He's letting these go at or below material cost and slave labor rates. Sonically I would think they're absolutely top shelf, a bit like the Horus on steroids. $3500 spent.

For speakers, I'd go with a pair of older Cornwall II's ($1000), or if those aren't available, I'd grab a pair of pretty Belles ($1500) and maybe a really quick, musical sub ($1400).

Again, if I wasn't totally in love with my Pantheon pre-, and the Horus SET (parafeed with cobalt OPT's), I'd be up there in Quebec City with an even larger check.

By the way, that begs the offer. If any of you loons in the northeast would be interested in his amps, I could pick them up for you and bring them back to Boston for local pickup. You wouldn't want to ship them.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 SET Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

----------------

On 4/14/2005 9:50:56 PM jacksonbart wrote:

P.P.S. For even larger soundstage projection - 2 pairs of RF-7s in RR-LL configuration... 4 Palladium monos, same preamp... that should about use up the budget.

There is a member who actually has 6 RF7s across the front in RRR LLL configuration. Forget their user name, dont know how it would sound, but sure looked impressive. Anybody else see that post?----------------

Don't mean to hijack a thread, but how would the electronics get configured for that? The wiring? Are there pres out there that can put out 3 outs of the same source?

I went back and found it, the users name is Kevin97255, he uses 3 pairs of RF7s across the front. Again this is not my system. I reposted the picture he did of his system (sorry I hope you dont mind, just think its very unusual). Would love to hear how it sounds. I would have no idea what problems/advantages it would have.

post-16829-1381926410516_thumb.jpg

Lets see:

Craig's VRD amp

Mark's Blueberry pre-amp

My TT - oh crap - over budget.

Craig's VRD

My TT - oh crap - over budget.

My TT.

My phono stage.

Pair of those promedia's - oh crap - over budget.

Cant do it!

Can I have some more please?

AAAh, another dream list: a perpetual hobby of mine!

The version this time:

One very large HT/office/entertainment center/aquarium/great room ($100K)

3 Belles

2 Parts Express Dayton Titanic 15 subs

3 ALK crossovers

3 Paramour amplifiers

1 tube 5-channel universal player

1 Behringer DEQ2496 EQ

9.gif

Please note: I've not had the opportunity to preview the VRD Blueberry combo.

++++++++++++++

Boomac;

Didn't you hear them in INDY last June?

MY thoughts...

Chorus II or LaScala or RF-7

Blueberry preamp

NOS VALVES VRD mono block power amps

VPI Scout TT with Grado Sonata cart

any cd player with used (new is too expensive) ML or Meridian or Benchmark DAC

Then as Artto would say you gotta do the room as well.

----------------

On 4/14/2005 10:18:49 PM jdm56 wrote:

$10,000? Hm, let me see...OK, I got it: B&W 803D's ($8000), and the biggest 2-channel amp NAD builds. That oughta do it. I'd use my Pioneer Elite 55TXi receiver for a pre-amp.

----------------

No way, man! Ive had a NAD 916 amp for close to 8 years now, and have been happy with it for almost the entire time... Then a little while ago I bought a Dynaco Stereo 70 for my office system. Holy CRAP! They got it right when they built the Stereo 70. The Dynaco makes the NAD sound like crap in a large way. Piano sounds like mud on the NAD, while on the Dynaco it sounds much closer to realistic... More like music, to be sure.

I am truly ashamed that I ever thought that the NAD was a good amp. I will be putting the 916 up for sale on Audiogon soon, with my head hanging in shame.

On 4/15/2005 9:36:06 AM Audio Flynn wrote:

Boomac;

Didn't you hear them in INDY last June?

----------------------------------------------

What I heard down at Indy was "Iron Maiden" through Cornwalls and from that moment on, my ears were screwed for the night!

14.gif

I recently listened to Allan Songer's McIntosh based system and enjoyed it very much. I went with the MC40s just to say I had 10 more HP than Allan.

11.gif9.gif

I've listened to garymd's Mark IIIs and the Blueberry and believe that rig to be something very special so I'm sure I would love the VRD / Blueberry combination.1.gif

I picked the Chorus IIs because I have Cornwalls and would like to try the former for classical.

I've found that amps are pretty darn important... To me, the amp is what makes a system sound mid-fi or high-end.

True, a cheap speaker is going to sound crappy, but as long as the speaker is pretty well designed, with no crazy resonances or frequency abberations, it can sound high-end with good electronics.

I used to think that the speaker is the number 1 (and only) most important part of the system, but now, I can see that you can't make a speaker sound high end without good amplification and source.

I would take a good tube amp on some inexpensive NHT speakers before I would take a NAD on a set of ProACs. Come to my house and I will make you a believer. :-)

----------------

On 4/15/2005 11:35:59 AM imperfectcircle25 wrote:

Ok so you want to use a pair of $300 spaekers with an $8000 amplifier?? This is a very strange combo. You should aways spend as much as you can on speakers, they are the most important part of the system.
----------------

That assumes that cost and quality are always directly proportional, of course.

----------------

On 4/15/2005 12:01:51 AM boomac wrote:

A McIntosh C 22 Pre Amp

A pair of Chorus IIs

A Basis 2001 Turntable

A Vector Tone Arm

----------------

I like Transfiguration. Over, for example, a Benz or Clearaudio; I have not heard Ortofons or Dynavectors. Either the Spirit, or a Temper if your budget permits.

I obviously like the Basis-Vector combo too.

Larry

----------------

On 4/15/2005 1:03:51 PM ben. wrote:
That assumes that cost and quality are always directly proportional, of course.

----------------

Of course!! Price = Quality in high end audio, right?

At least, everyone acts like its true. Of course, I bet a $500 rebuilt Scott 299A or Dynaco 70 sounds better than 85% of the new equipment for sale today... and thats including stuff in the multi-kilobuck range.

The manufacturers would love to have you believe that their newer equipment is clearly better than the stuff they were making even 10 years ago.

I say that is crap.

It just seem strange using a pair of NHT bookshelfs with an $8000 Cary amp. You would be better off splitting the costs more evenly say spending maybe $5000 on speakers and $5000 on amplification this way the speakers and amps are on similar levels. A $300 NHT speaker is not going to make the bestof the Cary 805, its like wasting a good amp youll never hear what its really capable of. Im a firm believer that your system should be balanced. Maybe

40% speakers

25% amplification

25% source

10% cables

this is just a basic idea Im not saying its right but it makes sense to me and alot of other music lovers and audiophiles. Im not saying price is directly proportiojnal to quality but for the most part it is up to a point at least. I mean once you get above aroun $5000 for a pair of speakers you start to get less and less improvement for the money as you go higher.

What do you guys think

----------------

On 4/15/2005 2:16:04 PM LarryC wrote:

----------------

On 4/15/2005 12:01:51 AM boomac wrote:

A McIntosh C 22 Pre Amp

A pair of Chorus IIs

A Basis 2001 Turntable

A Vector Tone Arm

----------------

I like Transfiguration. Over, for example, a Benz or Clearaudio; I have not heard Ortofons or Dynavectors. Either the Spirit, or a Temper if your budget permits.

I obviously like the Basis-Vector combo too.

Larry

----------------

I could live with a Temper - although i would have to mention Shelter as an alternative - either the 501 or the 901 if budget permits.

No problem with a basis table - or, for that matter my current favorite - the VPI Super Scout master with that amazing motor thingie off the big one.

Not my table - gets too expensive too quick with the extras. In fact, at retail - with the arm, ring and the power suply cleaner along with the cartridge and the phono it blows the budet on its own. This is something I dont like to think about too much.

Buying Craig's VRDs and Mark's Peach is a given, same with vintage McIntosh tube monoblocks and a C22. But maybe I'd enlist Erik Mandaville to build me what he considers THE best design for a pair of 300B monoblock amps and a matching 6SN7 line stage pre (interested?)...

Well, at present I actually like what I've got. For $10,000 I'd have my livingroom completely gutted and enlarged, acoustically treated by a pro in the field, and my simple system hooked up to a dedicated wiring circuit. Then I'd refurnish the room for best possible listening enjoyment.

Best of all I'd bring my beloved '79 Cornwalls out of mothballs, buy a pair of Dean's crossovers, refinish their tired cabinets with beautiful mahogany veneer, and enjoy!16.gif