How much for a new pair of Lascalas?

I would say you could probably get a pair for 2-3k new, just depending on how bad someone wants to sell them. These will definetely shine with some rock music. Their bass may not be as low as some but you won't be able to tell. A subwoofer might add a lil, but i'd much rather prefer it w/o the sub

La Scalas start rolling off at 60 Hz when pushed in a corner; higher when pulled out. There is very little below 55 Hz. They do make excellent rock and jazz speakers because there isn't much energy in that music below 50 Hz. Open E on an electric bass is 42 Hz. I don't see that note struck too often.

High output, low distortion subs will help, especially for movie effects. I used mine happily for a year or so without any subs.

Many people love the mid range clarity of the LaScalas.

*puts on flame retardant suit*

In my opinion, I find the LaScalas too "bright" if not used with a sub given their weak bass response. They roll off early and need the bass reinforcement if you want to use them with modern rock. With a very capable sub, they can be very good speakers. Without... well.... 14.gif

The Khorns with the same K400 horn are a much more balanced speaker...

Rob

PS: I still would like one as a centre channel... 2.gif

I bought a new pair in 2004 for $3500 including tax and they have the grilles. The bass is very tight and you feel it in your chest but for classical and other music a sub would help. I made risers bout 6 inches high that raise the top of the speakers to around 42 inches and they sound much better, not as bright. Without the risers the tweeter is at my chin level and midgrange is at my upper chest. So the highs are very noticable and the midrange is too low. With the risers the tweeter is just level with my eyes and midrange is centered on my face and it makes a very big difference in the sound. I just added a 1976 single La Scala with a new croosover from BEC for my center channel, replaced a C7. For music the C7 sounded better with the 2 LSs but for movies the single LS center channel makes a huge difference when whatching a movie. Since the single LS is a 1976 model it may not match well with a pair of 2004 La Scalas. But it still sound fantastic.

Xman