Thinking about unloading my K-Horns

rockbobmel

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's a case of "Acute Deanitis" either.

Khorns in a room that is not made for them are not the most impressive speakers. You can easily guess what are their strong points but the nays overcome the yeahs in my book.

(quite sad to realise when you are graced with one of the most beautiful pair of rosewood khorns that got the immediate approval of the wife).

----------------

On 4/22/2005 10:33:34 PM rockbobmel wrote:

What is a fair asking price for 97ish K-Horns.??? I have a few options that I have to think about. One involves RF-7s another is KLF-30s.
----------------

$1500 to $3000? Certainly would help to see some pictures. Used is all about finish and condition. Serial numbers too so people can verify the mfg. date and what crossover was used. Brand new Khorns are $6-$7K

FWIW

I had KLF30s before buying my Khorns.

The KLFs were purchased in preference to the RF7s.

That said all of these speakers are breathtakingly good sounding units when driven by good amplification reproducing good source material. You will never go wrong with any of them.

I chose the KLFs over the RFs because they sounded more dynamic overall in their presentation. In addition the KLFs had more cojones in the bottom end than the RFs.

OTOH I have to say that the RFs sounded a little smoother overall so the choice was not entirely intuitive and RF7s definitely can rock your world when powerful bass is demanded.

Why the Khorns then? No easy way to define it but to me the khorns sound closer to what one might expect to hear at a live performance than any other speaker I have ever heard. They sound like being seated at midrow about 10 rows back from the stage.

lynnm, I find opposite than what you do between the KLF and RF-7. I have both now and have compared them on same all equipment and room for many hours/days. They come very close to performance and only very slight differences, but overall the RF-7 is more dynamic and better presentation. Both speakers are excellent, and can't go wrong with either. I very much enjoy either speaker, if I had to do with just one, my choice would be for the RF-7 because I like the better resolution in the bass and slight more detail in the highs.

----------------

On 4/22/2005 10:36:44 PM Mallette wrote:

I'm thinking 40-50 bucks and I'll pick'em up.

Dave

----------------

If I thought you would really go through with that offer + money was no object, I would ask you over to pick them up, and when you got here they would be burning in the back yard.9.gif

----------------

On 4/23/2005 5:58:00 AM DeanG wrote:

Bob, you're supposed to be having fun! What aren't you happy with about the sound?

----------------

Dean, I think I'm not used to that live performance (reflected bass)sound, at lease in my living room. I went ahead and made some false corners and it did not really change much, maybe in the bass defenition, but in the last word, I think it was a sideways move.