Which crossovers should I get?

greg928gts

This thread was hijacked but I need to ask this since the subject of dampening came up. If I were to place lining in bass bin (custom), would I just need to place it say:

on one side, back and top?

One side only?

Or everywhere?

Maybe I should try it without and then put one piece at a time. I just hate to keep screwing and unscrewing the back cover.

jc

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in respose to placement of dampening material. all you're trying to do is to break up 'standing' waves, so place the material on one of each pair of parallel sides. NOT THE BOTTOM where the ports are.

So top, back, one side is all that is required. That thick dense foam is not the right stuff. Too solid, takes up too much volume. where did you get that BS? from your work?

There is a very open eggcrate looking acoustical material sold that might be good for this.

Michael

If I was doing Cornwalls, I would buy Deflex pads or Black Hole, and line the back, and two sides. I prefer Deflex, and if you buy from Mike Percy you'll save quite a bit of money compared to buying it from Partsexpress.

Or it might be good for a non vented enclosure? Yeah, I had a customer of mine cut this up and convolute it for me, whilst I waited. I measured each panel needed in the cornwalls x 2, obviously. The back panel is where I went brirsurk with thickness and other dimensions, those panels are destroyed and they were glued on with that 3M77 adhesive, another mistake...until I found that Lacquer thinner cut right through the foam and easily removed all remaining glue...I used a real good staple gun to hold the polyester batt material (thinner and smaller) bass came back!

Or if you really want to get technical...I could get the weight of the internal material that comes inside of the corns. Likely it will fall somewhere between 1 oz. to 1.75oz. per sq. ft (these are common weights). Then you can mimick the material with polyester batting in various and similar weights, which is what I finally did, yesterday. Good thing I had some samples in the car. Or you could use the foam, in a decreased thickness...say 1/2" to 3/4", damn...feels like Monday already. Hey guys, I did ask the converter person if he would mind taking custom orders over the phone and he had no problems with this whatsoever. Let me know, then I could be known as the insulation king. And this other stuff, let me tell you...well, you can spend your money as you wish...let's just say.

Geeesh! I go away for a couple of days and my thread gets hijacked.

I was wrong, there IS a big difference in the cost between ES crossovers and the ALK A replacement, more than twice the cost. Not that they aren't worth it, but it makes resale difficult if I end up liking something else better. I don't know if I want to experiment with $1100 crossovers.

Greg

I'll be glad when I can build things in my sleep, which sounds a lot better than not sleeping so I can build!!

I wish I would have paid closer attention last year when the ESN's were loaded in Daddy Dee's K-horns. All I remember is the notes sounded like they were falling off a steep cliff.9.gif

So Al, say a person has around $1100 or so, what should they do? Trachorn and ALKs, or K400s and ESNs?!

"I'll be glad when I can build things in my sleep, which sounds a lot better than not sleeping so I can build!!"

I often sleep while Michael builds crossovers. Don't you guys have sons, wives, servants or someone to do that kind of stuff?

Bob

----------------

On 4/26/2005 5:32:58 AM Al Klappenberger wrote:

Dean,

The answer is Trachorns + ALK then, a couple of DAYS later, insall the ESNs!
9.gif

Al K.

----------------

Sounds like a salesman to me!9.gif2.gif

Marvel

----------------

On 4/27/2005 10:12:52 AM Woodog wrote:

----------------

On 4/27/2005 10:11:09 AM fini wrote:

Thanks for the quick PM and email, Bob. I'll pull 'em today and get 'em off to you.

----------------

We're still talking about crossovers I hope!

Woo

----------------

That is my hope also.

Bob