4 in wall Heresys...thought some of you may like to see this

m-dub

I put 4 Heresys in the wall. I framed the wall so half the speaker is in fornt, and half sticking out the back, which is the garage. For the die hards, these were old and beat up cabinets picked specifically for this project, and all working drivers were installed from good Heresys. Then I drywalled around them and made a steel trim ring to fit over the drywall and speaker. Since the loss of bass was going to be an issue, I added 2 Velodyne ULD-15 subs under the pool table and under the foosball table, which you can't see in the pic. All the audio gear is mounted flush in the wall also. There's 2 doors that open and when closed, they match the paint scheme and can't be seen as well. The backside of the audio gear is a small closet in the garage, so I have access to the rear. There's also a fan mounted in the rear and pulls air through over the amps to keep everything cool.

Just wanted to show what can be done in a limited space application, but still keep the big Klipsch boxes and more importantly, great sound!1.gif the

post-11169-13819264297454_thumb.jpg

Thanx for the compliments guys. Here's one more photo with the doors open to the stereo cabinet. Never mind what I have written for components. I did that a year ago. I have to update it. I'm running a Nakamichi PA-7 for each pair of Heresys, plus I have a pair of Cornwalls in the kitchen that are run off a pair of Nakamichi PA-5's. My components are all Nakamichi minus a Carver pre amp and the Velodyne subs. Another cool thing I did was put all the components on a remote control power strip. Actually, it was 2 power strips becasue I needed 2 20 amp circuits to power this thing. The power strips are remote controlled so I can turn the entire system, 10 components, on and off with one button.

Thanx for looking,..it was a fun project!

post-11169-13819264298464_thumb.jpg

Is that an old Intellivision and Atari 5200 box on top of your corner piece there???

Man...I had an Magnavox Odyssey, Atari 2600, and Colecovision. Colecovision bested them all. Donkey Kong on Coleco was awesome...just like the arcade version.

I long for the old days...

LOL

-H2F

That's a very cool set-up, M-Dub. Lots of hard work and thought have gone into your project. The biggest bonus is you haven't lost any floor space with a mountain of speakers. I also like how you have them in from the corners about half the distance between them, so they have room to radiate without a lot of early sidewall reflection. And I believe that doubling up speakers is like 'more violins sounding better than one big violin'. Some people with doubled up setups have inverted the top speakers so the horns or tweeters are closer together to keep the imaging tighter. I'd love to bring my 'Yes' CDs over and hear them on your rig. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Hamish

Thanx again for the input guys. There's been a few questions asked about my gameroom, so I figured I'd put the whole shot in. My camera kinda sucks, but this is the best I can get. I'll add the other photo in the next post.

post-11169-13819264299254_thumb.jpg

Now you can see the whole picture. As for the he Nintendo inquiery, yes it is. There's also the original Colecovision and Atari, and in the curio is a plethera of old Coleco handheld games, and earlier battery powered games. As for the sound of the system, it's hard to describe. Depending on my mood, I can turn it to "11" and it gets almost intollerably loud, and clear for that matter. It took me awhile to dial it in with the hard wood floors and the

horns on the Heresys. I hate to say it, but I had to add an eq to balance it out. At low levels, the sound is amazing. And the Cornwalls in the kitchen? Well,..if you could do it,..wouldn't you?

Thanx again for all the feedback. It's good to know I'm not the only one who thought this was a good idea. It took the `ol lady awhile to warm up to it,..but after I had cut up the walls, she knew they were going in, so she gave up.

Any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Take care!2.gif

post-11169-13819264300304_thumb.jpg

Just a thought, are those Heresies placed horn-to-horn? Seems like wherever I've heard of people stacking Cornwalls or Heresies, they always recommend the bottom pair in normal horn on top orientation, but flipping the upper pair upside down so the HF sections are as close as possible to minimize time delay effects. If your speakers are easily moveable, you might try this.

Very cool game room, hope it gets used a lot!

Michael

----------------

On 5/3/2005 10:10:27 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Just a thought, are those Heresies placed horn-to-horn? Seems like wherever I've heard of people stacking Cornwalls or Heresies, they always recommend the bottom pair in normal horn on top orientation, but flipping the upper pair upside down so the HF sections are as close as possible to minimize time delay effects. If your speakers are easily moveable, you might try this.

Very cool game room, hope it gets used a lot!

Michael

----------------

I was thinking the same thing too. If you look closely you can see that the woofer is on the bottom of all the speakers. But because the top and bottom speakers are so far apart, I figured it wouldn't make that big of a difference because you'll just end up putting the woofers farther away too (and they will be way too far away to couple at 700Hz or wherever that crossover is). Even with the tweeters closer, you still aren't close enough from them to couple either. I think overall, you might actually end up with less comb-filtering if you put them woofer to woofer (which would help with the already lacking bass response). Who knows, if they're easy to move around then the easy thing would just be to try various configurations and see what sounds the best.

I thought of that to. If I turned the top pair upside down, the imaging may be better. However, the more I looked at it, the top pair are about 6 feet off the ground. For the most part, the top pair are just fill for when I really want to turn them up. All the imaging comes from the bottom pair of Heresyes. It acts kind of like front and rear speakers in a car. You really don't notice the rear pair until you listen for them. This is the same thing. I never did try and reverse the top pair, and now that they are a permanent part of the wall, we'll never know what the difference is. At any rate,..hope this helps clear it up for you guys.

Take care!

• 1 month later...

m-dub. Very nice installation. I was thinking about mounting some heresys flush in the wall similar to what you did.

Did you separate the side of the speaker cabinets from the wall framing so it wouldn't vibrate the wall?

How did you support the cabinets?