Post pictures of landmarks

michael hurd

On 5/7/2005 1:25:54 PM sputnik wrote:

On 5/7/2005 12:53:04 PM psg wrote:

The C.C.G.S. Amundsen, overwintering in the Beauford Sea, taken by me nearly a year ago...

Cool shot! What were you doing there? Here's a shot from a 1996 project I was working on along the Barents Sea coast in Russia - directly across the pole from your shot. It's an offshore shot of a Nenets fishing outpost just before dawn.

Nice shot too! What were you doing there?

This was the CASES project:

http://www.cases.quebec-ocean.ulaval.ca/welcome.asp

I was aboard to make ocean mixing measuements (using temperature microstructure profiles). We spent 3 weeks ice-bound and then it took 2 days to break out, travelling 11 miles through 2-m thick ice. I took that shot coming back when the ice edge in the helicopter, where I went sampling.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/7/2005 3:54:29 PM psg wrote:

..........What were you doing there?

----------------

We were there on a geotechnical engineering project for a Russian-US oil company joint venture to assess permafrost and sea ice impacts for the expansion of the YuzhnoÐKhilchuyu oil field in northern Russia. This area had been severely impacted during Soviet era oil developement. Our work was pretty basic but this would be great area to study the long term environmental impacts of arctic development. Industrial boo-boos are hard to correct at the high latitudes. That CASES research looks interesting.

Nice "back yard" there, by the way, JT.

----------------

On 5/7/2005 4:44:28 PM sputnik wrote:

Nice "back yard" there, by the way, JT.

----------------

P6091679_05.jpg

Thanks, sputnik. My last girlfriend enjoyed coming over to pet the horses more than to see me! LOL...9.gif

post-11084-13819264354604_thumb.jpg

I see she's got you sideways already, Kev. Congratulations, BTW. I had been wondering when she'd arrive. Looks pretty recent. Don't need details in public, but I hope mom & baby are perfect, and you're not losing your mind too much. I remember being in a relatively constant state of panic for several weeks!

Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany. This pic was taken in '84 while I was stationed in Ludwigsburg.

castle_.jpg

This is King Ludwig II's magnificent and most famous castle, built from 1869 to 1886 high within the foothills of the Alps, and only a third completed. I couldn't wait to take the 35 minute walk up the 170 stone steps that lead to the entrance. It was overcast all day, but while walking up that mountain the storm clouds opened up that summer day. I got as far as the pic taken above...a minute later the Alpian thunderstorm rolled in like in all them Wagnerian operas that are portrayed as murals throughout the castle's walls (which I never got to see)! My then-girlfriend and I were completely soaked to the skin when we finally got back down to the tour buses, but at least the contents of my camera bag were completely dry, thus the results of our efforts are forever immortalized within this only picture I got of this world famous landmark.

post-11084-13819264355114_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 5/6/2005 10:45:04 PM jacksonbart wrote:

Thumpelstiltskin

Is that who I think that is on you avatar?

'Don't forget to bring a towel. Wanna get high?'

----------------

JB,

I think it's Towlie, "the worst character ever".

Just let me get high. I know I can remember if I get high.

Rick.

On the final warm day of last year, my wife and I took a day trip and spent the afternoon at a winery in Rocheport, Missouri. This shot was taken on a bluff overlooking the Missouri River, while a warm sun caressed our faces... And the wine and cheese were excellent. All in all, a GREAT day. 9.gif

post-15432-13819264356244_thumb.jpg

Northern-Most Tree on the North Slope along the Haul Road going up to Prudoe Bay, Alaska. The road runs adjacent the pipeline. Notice the bullet holes in the sign.... Tree is a Black Spruce. This type of tree is characteristcally stunted as they tend to like to grow only where permafrost is prevalent. Hence, the roots do not penetrate very far into the ground which stunts its growth. Many of these trees have curved tops which point back down towards the ground almost in a "U" shape. This particular tree is famous among Alaskans whom are proud of just about anything that is "farthest North". I cannot take credit for this photo but I have one just like it that I did take.

spruce.jpgpost-10177-13819264369114_thumb.jpg