Dude, I'm getting a Dell

3dzapper

Wheelman, I really don't think that I would get a better computer for the money if I did it myself and the equivelant, for my uses, might even cost more. The LCD display is this months freebee and welcome as this monitor is old and fading. (Or is it my eyes that are old and fading?)

Keith, We have been using McAfee Active Shield and Firewall for years and just this latest version takes up too many resources. Norton is another option after my subscription to McAfee is up.

Marvel, I might try your Linux idea on this Micron frame after the new Dell arrives. Then I can see for myself what all the hub bub is about.

Rick

My youngest will be going off to college this Fall with the computer we built. He has been using it with XP for a good two years now, trouble free. He runs Lightwave on it. Just bought and installed Sibelius (music notation software) on it, as he is a music composition major. He will not be going to school with MS Office though. I can't see spending the money. He will have Open Office though, with file compatibility with the MS products.

Open Office 2 is almost released, and the beta is super stable as is. It is free software.

http://www.openoffice.org

Gary, the IBM laptops are super. Built sokid, and their support is very good.

While I agree that the new Macs and the new Mac OS is excellent, most end users (read new college students) don't knwo how to work between two different platforms. If you want to run XP in VMWare on your Mac you also have to buy VMWare and XP. Why not just use Open Office on the Mac and save some money?

Marvel

----------------

On 4/25/2005 8:05:28 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Wheelman, I really don't think that I would get a better computer for the money if I did it myself and the equivelant, for my uses, might even cost more. The LCD display is this months freebee and welcome as this monitor is old and fading.

----------------

When Dell offers up those lcd's it's hard to beat. No doubt congrats on that. I like dell too I am just a sucker for that alienware style. Dell is great also you should be really happy with it.1.gif

----------------

On 4/25/2005 7:07:17 PM wheelman wrote:

If it's laptops and i had 1500 to spend. This would be it in a heartbeat.
screen size may not be big enough for you, but the design and features are great.

----------------

Wheelman,

I looked at their website and I think I'll give them a call tomorrow. Not enough info to see how they stack up against the dell. I have to admit it looks interesting. Seems they are known for their gaming prowess.

How does a 12" w/s look compared to a 14" standard monitor? That may be a significant issue although that split screen looks pretty cool.

Marvel,

I wish I had the skills to build my own. Seems everytime I try to fix something I only make it worse. Much worse.15.gif

Dell wants $269 for a 4 year warranty. Seems a bit pricey. All-in for the 5 lb, 14" 600M including the warranty was about $1700 with:

512mb

60 GB HD

cd r/w & DVD

Office Pro/15 months of Norton

1 battery

I can probably get them to throw in a backpack case. Seems no matter what you intend to spend, you need to add a few hundred for marketing.14.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions.

----------------

On 4/25/2005 8:52:08 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 4/25/2005 7:07:17 PM wheelman wrote:

If it's laptops and i had 1500 to spend. This would be it in a heartbeat.
screen size may not be big enough for you, but the design and features are great.

----------------

Wheelman,

I looked at their website and I think I'll give them a call tomorrow. Not enough info to see how they stack up against the dell. I have to admit it looks interesting. Seems they are known for their gaming prowess.

How does a 12" w/s look compared to a 14" standard monitor? That may be a significant issue although that split screen looks pretty cool.

Garymd not sure on the widescreen, but I can only imagine it would be fun. Here is a comparison chart from their site.http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Sentia/sentia_compare.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-SENTIA&SubCode=SKU-PERFORMANCE

It pays to check the Dell site regularly as prices/upgrades change often. They were offering a free 19" flat panel, dual optical drives, 512MB memory, and shipping along with other goodies for $899 when I bought about 2 months ago. Much nicer than the 5 year old Dell P3 it replaced.

After the problems with the McAfee I loaded up the Norton Internet Security that I had purchased just 2 weeks shy of a year before and got a free year of service. Don't know how that happened but it made me happy. It and Spysweeper float my boat.

Keith

Spoofee examples from yesterday:

McAfee Internet Security Ver. 7.0 for Free after MIR's

If you purchased any older versions of Mcafee or Norton software.

1. If you are a new customer, you can use this $5 off $50 coupon.

2. Buy.com Price : $58.99

3. Rebate Price : -$30.00

4. Upgrade Rebate : -$40.00

Total Price : -Free

--------------------------------------------

Viking 256MB PC3200 DDR Memory $8.76 Shipped After Rebate

Buy.com has Viking 256MB PC3200 DDR Memory for $8.76 After $15.00 Rebate.

Viking 256mb PC3200 for $8.76

1. Memory Price : $23.76 - Temp Sold Out

2. Rebate Price : $-15.00

Total After Rebates : $8.76

Viking 256mb PC2700 for $8.47

1. Memory Price : $23.47 - Temp Sold Out

Total After Rebates : $8.47

Viking 256mb PC2100 for $11.34

1. Memory Price : $26.43

Total After Rebates : $11.43

"It pays to check the Dell site regularly as prices/upgrades change often. They were offering a free 19" flat panel, dual optical drives, 512MB memory, and shipping along with other goodies for $899 when I bought about 2 months ago. Much nicer than the 5 year old Dell P3 it replaced."

That's the same deal that we got including XP Professional. My wife has access to all sorts of software with license from the College she teaches at that requires XP Pro.

Sputnik,9.gif

Rick