Who made the Drivers for the Speakerlab K's

Frzninvt

The Atlas PD-4V drivers I have here came from a pair of Speakerlab Khorns, which is why I mentioned it. They are quite different from the Atlas PD-5VH (early K-55V) driver, and require a different network. I currently use the Speakerlab bass bins (large square magnet) with AA Klipsch networks (came with L-Pads), University SA-HF mid-drivers & Altec 511B horns, and University HF-206 tweeters. The tweeters are mounted in the mouth of the 511B lenses. The tweeters that came with the SK's looked identical to alnico Klipsch K-77's, and the woofers looked a lot like K-33-P's.

PD-5VH drivers are held together with 6 visible screws, while the PD-4V drivers are not. The biggest internal difference, I believe, is that the PD-4V lacks a phase plug.

Hope this helps.

Chris

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The mids have the screws just like the K-55V, and the woofers have the large square magnets and the tweeters are the equivalent of the EV T350's, regardless of what you guys say I ran these last night in the rear with my '77 Khorn's and guess what, they can easily outperform them in the LF and HF portions. I turned the LPads to max and boy are those T350's nice, far superior to the T35/K77 so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Photos coming!

The diaphragm is convex on the PD4, concave on a PD5.

The PD4 really doesn't go high enough to reach a T35.

I like the PD4 as it sounds more 'relaxed' without the phase plug, the compression ration is lower so it is less efficient too.

----------------

On <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />
4/28/2005
5:05:57 AM Frzninvt wrote: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

"...I ran these last night in the rear with my '77 Khorn's and guess what, they can easily outperform them in the LF and HF portions..."

----------------

Now I really regret selling those four SKs in 1976, but it's hard to imagine dragging four black plywood obelisks around the many moves these last 29 years.
Theyre probably languishing in someones garage or basement in the
Detroit
area.

I look forward to the photos.

Here is a photo taken at the guy's house of the top portion. I would keep these and use them in place of the '77's but the cosmetics are just not to my liking. I actually sold them last night to my wife's best friend that lives right up the road from us. She saw them and wanted them for her game room downstairs. I told her they would rock that whole space down there!

A little closer view, they are very nice actually. I love the T-350's! I am tempted to cannibilize them and put the K-77's out of my '77's in place of them before I take them to my wife's friends house. I just don't want to have a tweeter perched up on my Khorn since it obviously wont fit in the stock location.

The other one. I put the top grills together for them last night, I had the frames and cloth to match that I got from him and just stapled the cloth on them and trimmed it with a stanley knife. They look nice with the grills in place. The mdf frames had warped a bit over time but they still fit OK.

In checking the PD-4V specs, there is a difference against the PD-5VH.

In further checking I have been told that the efficiency is the same as the PD-5V. I have found that to be the case.

It has been said that the PD-4V is not an Alnico magnet. A screwdriver test, a light light screw, plus the makers support the Alnico vs ceramic.

Thanks for the photos. Now I can show my 22 year-old son what I used in my old business. The finish looks much better than I expected. It's surprising that you were so impressed with their performance when compared to your Khorns. The four I had rocked many a gymnasium, cafeteria, wedding reception, etc.in 1975-1976. They never failed to impress the crowd.

My Speakerlab SK-Horns were raw plywood, which I painted black. They had the smaller T-35, along with the aluminum squawker horn and Atlas driver. Now I'm motivated to see if I can track down those old speakers. I sold the whole set-up as an ongoing mobile DJ business in 1976, so it's extremely unlikely that I can hunt them down, but you never know until you try.

They look a lot better than I would have expected! With the yop grille on, they would look sweet! It's good that you found a good home for them. I was talking about them with my wife last night, and she said that as a good a deal as it was I would never be completely happy without the real thing. She said I should hold out for khorns. 2.gif

So your finding a worthy buyer so quickly only makes it easier on me!

----------------

On <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />
4/28/2005
6:36:58 AM Frzninvt wrote: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The back! He installed some false walls on the sides of them, these can generate very nice bass without a corner trust me! They will leave a La Scala or Belle in the dust.

----------------

I did the same thing. The four speakers arrived in 1/4" plywood shipping crates. I used the plywood from the crates to attach "false corners" just as in your photo. Although not pretty or perfect, it worked for me. If the bass was improved by actually positioning the speakers in a good corner (false corners still attached) it was not clearly discernible. Most of the time, the speakers were free-standing.

I tacked the grill cloth to the grill frames last night and installed them. I'll get some photos of them with the matching front grills in place and post them later. They look like a Type C Klipschorn. These are certainly a very affordable option to the Klipschorn.

The original owner certainly did a nice job building them.

I had a friend who had gotten a pair. Plain plywood. They still sounded pretty good, although he had his out from the corners about four feet.

Marvel