Klipschorn placement?

I know that Klipschorns need to be in the corner of the room, but how far from the walls can they be placed? Is there a range such as from 3 inches to 12 inches? Thanks, I didn't get a users manual or anything, bought them used and the owner didn't know.

Preferably butted up against the wall. Put some 3/8" pipe insulation on the tailboard edges if they don't have the tailboard seals on them already and work them back and forth into the corner as far as you can get them. You want the best seal possible for proper bass response.

If you need a photo of a pair of Khorn's with the tailboard seals in place let me know and I will attach one. The pipe insulation is available cheaply from any hardware store.

If you want the best bass response that you can get, then those measurements are zero inches and zero inches 1.gif It really makes a difference getting them pushed right up to the corners, and actually sealed against them to get the flattest frequency response. If you can't get them right in the corners (like most of us) they will still sound great, but they may have some peaks and dips in the bass. There are many threads on this BB about sealing your khorns to the corner, or even making false corners. They also sound best when aimed right at you. Getting them in proper corners and aimed at you can be tricky.

Mark

It is best if they are snug in the corner. Additinally, it is helpful to place some pipe foam insulation on the horizontal (bottom of the HF section) between the cabinet and the wall. You may want to do the same on the vertical portions of the tail (against the corner). If it is not snug, you will find a roll off at the lowest frequencies and also a diminished response around a few hundred Hz.

The corner of the room completes the final flare of the horn. If placing them snug into a corner is problematic, then consider constructing a false corner or 1/2 false corner. Many have used this option with good success.

Enjoy,

-Tom

----------------

On 5/2/2005 8:29:26 AM markus111 wrote:

They also sound best when aimed right at you. Getting them in proper corners and aimed at you can be tricky.

I wonder why they didn't design the KHorn with a rotating top section that you could aim outside of the 45 degree angle. That would be sweet, wouldn't it?

smutty, the proper placement for k-horns is snuggly into 90 degree corners with at least 48" of straight wall from the corner, if it is not placed that way there will be some deviation in frequency response (mostly in the upper bass) from the design norm. that said many have found that they can have imperfect corners and still get enjoyalbe sound from thier k-horns. false corners can be built if corner placment is difficult...tony

thanks, all. one of the corners of the room i propose to put these in has a baseboard forced water heat unit. it rises about 6 - 8 inches above the floor. in order to fit snuggly i would have to raise the speaker that high, and the one in the other corner as well, though only one corner has the heater. i wouldn't think this would present a problem with sound reproduction, would anyone. I can construct the platform without issue.

----------------

On 5/2/2005 10:53:53 AM smuttynose wrote:

...in order to fit snuggly i would have to raise the speaker that high, and the one in the other corner as well, though only one corner has the heater. i wouldn't think this would present a problem with sound reproduction, would anyone....

----------------

They should sit on the floor -- take a look at the diagram and explanation of the importance of all three reflecting surfaces (both walls and the floor) at the top of this page from Hifilit.com. You won't get the floor reflection if you raise them.

Larry

----------------

On 5/2/2005 11:01:00 AM Frzninvt wrote:

My place is the same way, I have the hot water baseboards, I have the pipe insulation seals on the back and I pushed them as far back as I could and they sound great, don't fret too much over it.

----------------

Thanks. without having placed them in this room at all, i'm not sure why i am so concerned. once i get them in there and all hooked up and running, then i can tinker around. guess they will go on the floor, though.