Need More Power

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AZNracerx1989

Wow, nice sized room. Is this for movie or a dance party/ rave scene all you guys are into? The RF7s can fill a room with a good amp, especially if you use 3 across the front. Might want to consider a few subs as well, say 3 across of the front and two in the rear. The RSW15 is a fine choice, though plenty of people will give many more and just as good. If your in that price range you could always spend more and get Khorns, you would appear to have the space.

As a side question, what type of after-school job do you have that you can afford to consider RF-7s, I think I made the wrong career choice. Good luck

"It was designed for theatres with stadium seating, and the dispersal pattern would be a very poor choice indeed for an 8 foot high ceiling."

Not true. The 90x60 pattern of the KPT 904 is suitable for many normal rooms as many who actually have experience experimenting with horns well know.

The 904 is probably touted for stadium seating use (and it's not meant only for stadium seating by the way) because it's smaller high frequency horn than the 942 allows for a wider range of vertical tilt adjustment.

IMO opinion the large format driver of the 904 will sound much less shouty and strained than the 1" driver of a domestic Klipsch speaker. Big rooms are what large-format drivers are for.

----------------

On 5/3/2005 7:16:58 AM dougdrake wrote:

Get a pair of La Scala's. They fill nightclubs with sound.

----------------

I also agree.... they also can be heard loud & clear above 1300 screaming high school students in a high school gym.

The RF-7s may "look small", but they'll fill a room that size with even half-way decent amplification. Don't get me wrong, La Scala's will too (probably a tad better), but if you want to stay with the Reference line, RF-7s have the guts to do it.

Volume is a function of speaker efficiency and the power from your amp (reciever, whatever). The La Scala's are an amazing 104dB @ 1watt/1meter, and according to the Klipsch website they output a max of 121 dB SPL. The RF-7s are a still incredibly efficient 102dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter. There is no listing for maximum output level...does anyone know that off hand?

Anyways, either speaker will move a whole lot o' air.

Scott

----------------

On 5/2/2005 11:00:11 PM AZNracerx1989 wrote:

a klipsch rf-7 looks small.... will it be able to fill a full size basement? it is like 40ft. by 40ft.

----------------

First, the RF7 is a pretty big speaker, maybe not next to a cornwall, but big next to most everything else for sale nowadays. Geez, its 4 feet tall, a foot wide, and a foot and a half deep.

Also, I think you may be underestimating Klipsch. There is almost nothing commonly sold that gets as loud, or that gets as loud with as little power as klipsch speakers.

The Lascala will hurt you, and I dont think Im exagerating. Actually, the RF7 will probably hurt you too, but the LaScala and others in the Heritage line should have warning labels.

However, since you are young, I would probably recommend the Cornwall or RF7s (I'm looking for a pair myself), since they have more low end bass. The music you and I like needs more bass than typical accoustic music.

Imagine these things with your head 4 feet away:

120 db = Shotgun blast, jet taking off, LaScala, nearby thunderclap

110 dB = sandblasting, model airplanes

106 dB = timpani and bass drum rolls

100 dB = snowmobile, chain saw, pneumatic drill

90 dB = lawnmower, shop tools, truck traffic, subway, alarm clock, busy street

70 dB = busy traffic, vacuum cleaner

The

RF-7s will EASILY fill your basement with no problem. If you need to, buy some more headroom for your setup. 200 watts per channel should do very nicely. I set up my system in my basement and it was about 50ft by 30 ft and I filled it with KSF-8s and a KSF-5 Center. This was driven by a Pioneer HT reciever. The RF-7s should easily hit 105+ db at your sitting position. That is LOUD for constant listening. Good Luck!

"RF-7s will EASILY fill your basement with no problem."

So will running a Chicago Pnuematic 9" grinder.2.gif

There's difference between filling a room with sound and filling it with low distortion, effortless sound. An overtaxed speaker sounds pretty bad. Best to go with big woofers (or basshorns) and large-throat drivers in a very large room. 1" drivers such as Heritages use can do the job but larger throats will sound "easier" yet. Proper tools and all that. My experience and opinion ya understand.

Besides, the Klipsch theatre stuff is so kool, much more imposing than RFs or Heritages; big utility cabinets and exposed horns and drivers on sleds, real Coolman horn stuff. As I've said before, I'm amazed there's so little interest in it here.

ok im thinking about RF-7's and la scala's... the reason why i dont like rf-7's is because i went in a nearby store.... i turned it to max... it seems like it was distorting all crazy and stuff... doesnt seem quality sound.... maybe thats why it has a horn... or maybe their music just suck haha