Manley Labs Stingray w/ RF-7's

But how often do you have to bias the things once you have it set up? After I set up my FD-70 (Formerly Dynaco), I only check it ecery once in awhile, and it is usually spot on. I would assume they like the sound of the EL84 tubes, but wanted more power.

Easy to say since I don't have to mess with it.

Marvel

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How often am I supposed to do it - or how often do I do it (biasing I mean)?

Well I dont very often - and when I did last it really had drifted quite a way from where I had set it. At least all the tubes had drifted just about the same amount - if that is a good sign - I took it as such.

How Often.........

With a brand new quad of tubes for the first 200 hours it should be done often and it will vary as they and the amp burn in. Then the closer you keep the bias 1) The longer the tubes will last 2) to some degree the lower the distortion your listening too. Usually every couple months is a good thing. Now I know first hand that with even 4 controls in your stereo amp to bias a quad of tubes can be a pita you adjust one tube and the other 3 move with it since they usually share a common voltage source. This is not a 2 minute deal! With 8 is has to be a real Pita! I burn in every amp I rebuild for at least 24 hours so I can adjust it 2 or 3 times to get it somewhat stable since many customers never bother. These same customers are the ones that contact me looking for tube sources within a couple years.

I'm sure on inefficient speaker the stingray does sound good. But when someone describes it as sounding like a SS amplifier I say why bother just go out and buy you a Yammyhammer and be happy if that is what your after.

I believe this poster was trying to get away from the SS sound with his RF-7's

Craig

----------------

On 5/9/2005 8:10:37 AM NOSValves wrote:

Sh!t lost a 3 paragraph post this darn forum...............

----------------

Gotta hate it when that happens. If I do anything long I type it in Notepad and copy it over. Then it the forum software eats it I still have it to post without re-typing it.

Max,

If everything drifts the same, it might not be the tubes but something else drifting out over time, like something in the power supply. My 2 cents.

----------------

On 5/9/2005 7:36:02 AM maxg wrote:

How often am I supposed to do it - or how often do I do it (biasing I mean)?

Well I dont very often - and when I did last it really had drifted quite a way from where I had set it. At least all the tubes had drifted just about the same amount - if that is a good sign - I took it as such.
----------------

Max,

that is a very good sign ! It usually means you wall voltage variation is the culprit. Once tubes settle in they tend to stay pretty close but the bias should still be checked its like a health meter. When a tube starts to give up the ghost it will show up in the bias!

Craig

No I never said I wanted to get away from the SS sound. I am actually very happy with the sound of my SS amp with the Klipsch's. I use an Ah! Tjoeb 4000/upsampled w/seimens7308, Exposure XV integrated and Straightwire cables. The sound isnt bright or harsh at all more like smooth and detailed and very punchy. I just thought I would give tubes a try again. I had tried a low powered 300b SET amp and it just wasnt my cup of tea, it didnt have the balls to play rock music. So I figure let me try a higher power PP tube amp and see how it works out, I chose the Stingray especially because they say it has alot of the good qualities of SS, its not overly rolled off and polite like some tube amps. I would like to keep the punchy detailed sound of SS and add a bit of the tube warmth and natrualness. And anyone who says 5 or 10 watts is enough to play heavy rock with Klipsch is out of thier mind, I have found you need at least 25 watts to really get going.

Craig,

My ST-70 has individual controls for each output tube. And it is staying very stable. 'Bout time I checked them again though so the reminder is always a good thing.

Marvel

Well imperfect - sounds like you are about to become a Manley Man.

Get it - and let us know how it pans out. My guess is that it will Rock just the way you want it to.

Craig,

Thanks - that is what I wanted to hear - definitely power could be the culprit - we get severe variations here - that is why I have so much power cleaning sh1t.

WellIf I dont get the Manley I might just save up for a Blueberry/vrd combo which is probably even better since they are pretty much made for Klipsch and rock music. A bit more expensive though a used Stingeray is only $1500 the Blueberry/VRD is around $4000. I wonder if its worth the extra dough? Manley is also a very highly respected name in tube audio, and they are made to sound good on rock as well, oh well decisions, decisions...lol May as well check out the Manley fiirst maybe I can save myself a few grand. Thanks for the help guys

frank

I donno guys Ive heard an aweful lot of good stuff about the Stingray and heard some of manleys higher end stuff at the HE 2005 NYC show and it was very impressive. For $2200 I donno if you can beet the Stingray for rock. Dont forget the Bluberry/VRD is Double it price so chances are it will be better, question is, if it $2200 better!

First off a Blueberry and VRD's are not double and your getting a full function preamp in the deal. This means PHONO also. For forum members the VRD's are $2299 and if you want you can get a passive preamp for what $200 the Stingray is nothing more then a stereo power amp with a source selector and volume control. That is not a ACTIVE PREAMP. Lets compare apples to apples if were going to compare. You could also buy a Peach which is again a ACTIVE line stage not just a souce selector and volume control. I myself wouldn't be caught dead listening to music without the active preamp to help flesh out the detail and give the sound stage more bloom.

VRD's 2299.00

BB 1495.00

VRD's 2299.00

Peach 1395.00

Now not to cut Mark (Juicy Music) out of the picture but there are many descent ACTIVE preamps out there. Remember your not talking phono section with the Stingray. I would rather see you get a Peach or Blueberry because I know how great they are! But again lets compare apples to apples could we.

Craig

If you are still looking for amps, the VTL MB100s that NOS has for sale is a GREAT place to start!

http://www.nosvalves.com/sale.htm

Pair those with a nice used pre and you will be in pig heaven! I have to watch all the coins we have right now as the wife is getting a new kitchen (and I am happy with my Sonic Frontiers Power 1 amp anyway) otherwise I would jump on these amps!

I would buy the Peach, and a pro amp with a digital switching power supply. This puts you at roughly $2000, and there is no doubt in my mind that for Classic Rock, Metal, and Alternative -- it will completely bury the Stringray. At that point, you can start saving pennies for the VRD's. You might want to squeeze the upgrade for the networks in there somehow, well, at least I would.

Ok maybe not double but they are about $1200-$1400 more which is a pretty big chunk of change. Im not putting down your amps, no need to get defensive, Im sure they are very good and have heard lots of great thoings about them. Im just saying that for the money the Stingray is a good deal, and Manley is very highley regarded in the hifi tube comunity. I cant afford the Blueberry/VRD combo right now which is what I really want. So I am going to try out the Manley amp which I can get for $1200 on the used market, maybe I will be prefectly happy with it and wont need to spend the extra money for the Blueberry/VRd. Didnt mean to make it seem like I was putting down your amp, just wanted to make the point thats theres other very good amps out there. BTW you have to admit the Stingray looks cool...:)