Manley Labs Stingray w/ RF-7's

The Asylum!? You've got to be kidding me? That place has a separate forum for just about every high end vendor on the planet. Just providing the forums for them is a form of promotion and edorsement. If you go into the Welborne forum, you don't think anyone would attempt to dissuade you from buying something else, and wouldn't give you a half dozen reasons to buy Welborne? Don't think Ron Welborne himself wouldn't throw in an off-color comment if it suited him? Man, you're a trip -- Heck, half this thread read likes "10 reasons to buy Manley", yet if someone suggests a product built by a forum member all Hell breaks loose.

"I dont think you can get bored with the "britsh sound" thats the one good thing about it, stuff like Naim or Exposure has some of the best rythm and timing(PRAT) and really gets you into the music."

Well, going by the proliferation of these things on the used market, it is apparent that someone is getting bored with them. "PRAT" tells me that the speaker has no LF extension, uses small drivers that produce higher levels of distortion than larger drivers/horns, and is incapable of reproducing the large scale dynamics found in live music.

"I find it hard to believe the Stingray/Rf-7 will "peel my ears off", even with good solid state I dont find Klipsch to be that bright and since the Stingray uses tubes it will be smoother than most SS amps up top. If the Naim Nait 3 didnt peel my ears off theres no way any tube design will, its all about having a good source thats most important, if your source isnt bright and harsh your ok."

There's not much point in going into debate here since it's all about preference. Now, there is some truth in what you are saying, but you're really not factoring everything in.

1) The RF-7 is not an RF-3. They are very different speakers. The HF driver in the RF-7 is a pro-style driver, and the top is much more dynamic and sharper in signature than the RF-3. There is also the issue of sensitivity, where the RF-7 will be much more unforgiving of any distortion artifacts emanating from the downstream components.

2) I'm currently using a solid state amp that sounds smoother and cleaner than several tube amps I have owned. Just because an amp has tubes in it, does not automatically mean it's going to be "smooth" on top, or not unduly forward in signature. The tube amps I'm referring to all employed solid state rectification (like the Manley), and two of them had list prices of $7800 and $4700. Now, those amps sounded very good, but they were not nearly as smooth, nor enjoyed as much as what I'm using now, or the tube rectified QUAD II-forties I had earlier in the year.

Now, you did say you wanted a tube amp that sounded somewhat solid-state, and I respect that, as I certainly understand where you are coming from. For the price, I think the Manley is a good choice, but considering your choice in music, I just think it's going to be too much on top without the buffering a good linestage would provide. The RF-7's can be brutal.

"And I do think for myself thats why im not buying into the VRD being the "best" amp around. Im sure its great but there is no "best" amp just differant."

You are right, mostly things are just "different". However, there is different "good", and different "great". In its class, the VRD is definitely the best amp around, and nothing will touch up to two or three times the price. For the music you like -- it's the best tube amp there is. Period. I have over four years of experience with the Reference speakers, almost three years with the RF7 alone. I'm the resident "headbanger" here, and have been through so many amps and preamps over the last two years that I've been designated President of the Amp of the Month Club. So, I'm perfectly qualified to give you a perfect opinion. :) buy the Manley and have some fun, but keep your eye on the prize.

"Thank you guys for turning me totally off to this forum I will no long bother you, i will stick to the AA forum where selling your product on the forum is not allowed."

There's no reason to leave. There isn't any more heat or promotion here than there is over there. If you dont mind me asking: What's the difference between selling something you own, made by someone that doesn't hang out here -- and someone selling something here they've built themselves? I've never understood that double standard.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/11/2005 5:55:00 PM imperfectcircle25 wrote:

I have listened to more than my share of amps, and while I started out actually wanting to save for the Blueberry/vrd since everyone seemed to reccomend it, I have to say that I would never buy it, I like to deal with people that a re a bit more professional. And that is the last you shall hear from me goodbye and thanks to all the people who actually did help and didnt just try to sell me thier amp.

----------------

Think you're being a bit hasty here.

What Craig, Dean, and others were trying to tell you about active vs. passive preamplification is not meant to be a swipe at the Stingray.

I run a passive in one system, and it sounds really, really great on good recordings. But out of maybe 500 CD's, there are only a relative handful that I would place into this category. An active preamp will make a significant difference on the rest. In my case, about 90 percent of my music sounds more pleasing through an active.

I've made this same comparison by using the variable outputs of my XA7ES to drive p-p amps by CJ, Cary, VAC, Air Tight, and others. All decent quality amps I've owned. Regardless of the amplifier used, the results were always the same - the active sounded better on a wider variety of music.

Regardless of the amplifier used, the results were always the same - the active sounded better on a wider variety of music.

+++++++++++++++

I was trying to find a way to say it in my limited experience going passive.

I should try my AMPEX pre in front of my Tripath; could be weird.