Members Weekly Music Recommendations-May 9

thebes

I don't know about you folks but the weather's getting pretty nice here. Still some time though to listen to music and share suggestions before we all head outdoors.

The format's simple, name of artist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

A double this week, a first for me.

John Mayall and the BluesBreakers, "Spinning Coin", blues/rock, cd

Forget the Stones, etc. John Mayall is the god of British blues. "Room to Move" is still one of the greatest songs ever created, but sorry folks, it's not on this particular cd. This is Mayall on the organ, piano and of course singing his heart out. Very litle harmonica work, but still a great listen, a fusion of bad boy blues and garage rock before the term was coined.

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, self titled, swing, cd

Sure it was a mini-revival of 20's and 30's swing music, driven by a new/old dance craze, but hey there was a reason grandpa was swiggin hootch and grandma was teasing her curls back in the day. Uptempo, rock before there was rock, sin, (you know good sin with sex and everything) and driving cats pushing the beat along. Very well recorded. So "throw back a bottle of beer" and tell me:

What do you have for us this week:

Ok, blues is it? How bout House of Blues "this ain't no tribute" songs of Led Zeppelin remade by Clarence Gatemouth Brown and others. Take the blusiest of old Zep songs, generally albums 1-4, like When the Levee Breaks, Custard Pie, etc. hand em off to a bunch of old blues masters and let em go. Soulful is the best word I have for it. Great stuff. Some cooking, some simmering very slowly.

Michael

I meant MOST of the tracks were from first four Zep Albums. Here's the list:

Custard Pie (2 versions)

Heartbreaker

I can't quit you Baby

When the Levvee Breaks (2 versions)

Hey, Hey (Zep single )

ROck N Roll

You Need Love (whole lotta)

Since I('ve been loving you

Good Times, Bad Times

Bring it on home part 1/2

Trampled Underfoot (also phys graf)

From Otis Rush, Eric Gales, Alvin Youngblood Hart, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, Otic Clay, Chris Thomas King, Magic SLim Robert Lockwood JR. and more.

Title is actually Whole Lotta BLues

HOB title 51416 1464 2 1999 Platinum Entertainment PED Corp.

avail www.hob.com

On May 16th Gov't Mule will be re-releasing "Deja Voodoo" through ATO Records with an additional disc including newly recorded versions of "I'll Be The One" and "Ballerina." These new tracks were recorded earlier this year during a rare day off. The complete tracklisting for the "Mo' Voodoo" EP is as follows:

1) King's Highway

2) I'll Be The One

3) My Oh My

4) I Can't Be You

5) Ballerina

For those of you who have the original "Deja Voodoo" CD you will be able to put the disc in your computer, starting May 16th, and hear the new songs. The "Deja Voodoo" and "Mo' Voodoo" EP combo will be available on May 16th.

Today Lucinda Williams releases "Live at the Fillmore".

I have had the pleasure of listening to an advance copy since last week.

If you liked "World Without Tears" you will love this CD. All but two songs are on this new CD. It is the same band.

If you liked "Car Wheels On a Gravel Road" you will find "Joy". This is a killer blues version. The band jams.

If you like Lucinda I think you will like this CD.

Danny

"Not the Same Old Blues Crap -- Vol 3 -- Fat Possum Records Sampler.

The best $7 CD out there. Fat Possum, from Oxford Miss, collects worn out old blues folks, newbies coming up and grunge rockers who want to pay homage to their blues roots. The recordings are true to their genre -- it does not sound like El-Lay, ya'll. Mostly acoustic blues, road-house hollars, rock and weird things. Artists include RL Burnside, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Iggy Pop (!?), The Three Shams, Bob Log, and a number of others you'll only hear on Fat Possum.

This is probably the best of the 3 volumnes of "NTSOBC" and well worth the $6.98 list price.

(Note to all -- my local BB has it for $7.99 -- how's that for taking money from the pockets of old folks!).

----------------

On 5/10/2005 9:27:24 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Wheelman,

Did Gov Mule ever record a Tommy Bolin (from Deep Purple) piece? I heard them on like Letterman one time and made a note of what song it was, possibly Teaser or Post Toastee?

Michael

----------------

Michael I am not sure. I know they do "Maybe I'm a Leo". I dont' know if that's a Tommy Bolin tune. Check this live album out they do alot of tunes by other bands, and look to see if you see some.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005JJ01/102-0068950-0641729?v=glance&s=music&vi=samples#disc_1

Well I should of posted all these in one, but these came to me out of nowhere. For all you in "camp metal". Check out the first offering by LIFE OF AGONY- River Runs Red. Heavy crushing guitars what more could you ask for. I think it came out in 94. I would say to anyone who likes godsmack to S.O.D. check em out. I won't recomend godsmack, but S.O.D. -Speak english or Die is about as thrashin as your ever gonna get kids. Enjoy11.gif

----------------

On 5/9/2005 7:01:21 PM thebes wrote:

I don't know about you folks but the weather's getting pretty nice here..................

----------------

Yeah, right! This was my back yard this morning. Then it clouded over and snowed some more 7.gif . So I can only recommend "A Winters Solstice" by Windham Hill artists - Volumes 1, 2, 3, or 4. It won't matter which, they'll still keep coming - just like winter.

snowbackyard.jpg

post-17394-13819264779534_thumb.jpg

I czn recommend anything by Bob Seger.

But His Greatest Hits CDs Volume one and his more recent Volume 2

show blues, rock and ballad.

There are a number of sides to

Seger, they all come out.

Thta includes one of the best guitar solos - on Like A Rock.

If its da blues, I gotta jump in wit' Charlie Musselwhite's "Stand Back - Here Comes the Charley Musselwhite's South Side Band", I believe his first back in the 1967 -- Harvey Mandel plays some of the most bluesy greasy guitar leads imaginable, and Charlie's vocals and harp are passionate yet laid back. Charlie learned from the best in Chicago--

Great sound that's amazing for a 40-plus year old recording. Most from that label, Vanguard, was beautifully recorded then, too -- "Chicago-The Blues Today" is also an excellent old blues 3 CD set--

Well, this week I've been in to some old British rock and some even older American rock.

Graham Parker: Passion Is No Ordinary Word - GP Anthology 1976-1991

Rock - CD

I'd forgotten just how good Graham Parker was. He's backed on alot of this by The Rumour with Brinsley Schwarz on guitar. Really good pub rockers. Now I need to break out the old Elvis Costello and The Attractions CDs.

Steppenwolf: Gold - Classic Rock - CD

I was after a more extensive best of set than "16 Greatest Hits". This seems to cover things pretty well. Very good remastering job. Also from the "Monster" LP is "Monster/Suicide/America" - the 9+ minutes version. Here's a bit of trivia for you. Larry Byrom, one of the former guitarists from Steppenwolf is now a very busy session musician on alot of country recordings.