Soundcraftsmen - Anyone Know About It?

dougdrake2

Hi all - I tripped across a Soundcraftsmen PCR800 stereo amp this morning which the owner was willing to let go for $75. I, honestly, know nothing about this brand. Poking around Ebay and Yahoo it appears to be quite a powerhouse -- 205 WPC at 8 ohms, handling output into even the 1ohm range. Does anyone know anything about this amp, and whether it would be worth picking up?

DD2

Soundcraftsmen had a 20 page color ad in the October 89 issue of Audio magazine, listing all of their Made in USA Products such as amps, preamps, equalizers, and tuners. But in 1991, they kind of fell off the face of the earth after 22 years in the biz.

As for the PCR800, this was the cheapest plain jane non-rack-mountable version of the Pre-Power Four amp.

List price was approx $500 - $550. 205/watts per channel into 8 ohms, 300/watts into 4 ohms with .005% THD.

Also featured MOSFET power output stages, probably comparable/similar to Hafler equipment. $75.00 be good!

The Soundcraftsman PCR amps should be avoided.The PCR 800 had the same schematic as the Hafler DH200.The problem is the 'PCR' part.This was in a way similar to what Carver was doing wih his 'magnetic field' power supplies.This topology destroyed more woofers than all other amplifiers combined.The original ouput devices are also unavailable for when these amps will need repair (notice I said 'when' not 'if').

Thanks for the added input. A local used dealer also cautioned about the repair issue, as parts would not be available. For $75, though, who cares. But I don't care to be blowing woofers, so I think I'll just fuhgedabowdit. But, it was a learning experience, and I thank you all again!

DD2

I would still go for it - it is ammazing how much one learns about a component - any component - when you can swap out any peice of the system with another peice - you could also use it to power subs like the SVS!

------------------

big old horns, tube amps, tube pre-amp, British CD player, two subs, double wire, pipe insulation, paving stones, rubber mats & curtains

• 3 weeks later...

Soundcraftsman

LOL

Yes I remember...the adds!And the Made in the USA!

Yess I also remember they made EQ's and such,not much else.They wanted to tell Mr X and Miss Z that Soundcraftsman was High-End.

At $75 I guess it not a bad buy.

Not long ago I got a Carver TFM-75 in perfect condition,also second hand.The owner got $500 for it.

Not bad for a 750W RMS per channel dual mono amp.Built quality is great and sound is not bad at all.

Just dont buy the matching WHITE VAN SPEAKER CORP. matching five way speakers that are DIGITAL READY! LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 5 years later...

GREAT forum you guys have here.

I own several Soundcraftsmen amps and think they sound great. High fidelity magazine must have thought so too, they said the amp they tested: "sounds as good as anything else we've come across, regardless of price."

Stereo Review and High Fidelity gave Soundcraftsmen excellent reviews too...

I think my pair of PCR800's sound better than my old Haffler, SAE, Adcom, NAD, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sansui, Nikko, or Onkyo Integra amps that I have owned in the past.

http://www.hifi-museum.com/pa/sc_fs.htm

http://www.soundcraftsmen.com/test_reports.htm

" High fidelity magazine must have thought so too, they said the amp they tested: "sounds as good as anything else we've come across, regardless of price."

Stereo Review and High Fidelity gave Soundcraftsmen excellent reviews "

Hmm...didn't these magazines also say all amplifiers sound the same?

"Soundcraftsmen had a 20 page color ad "

Absolutely "as good as anything else we've come across, regardless of price."

"handling output into even the 1ohm range"

Will not drive less than 4 ohms. The PCR860 had another pair of outputs and while rated for 2 ohms, I wouldn't try it.

"The PCR 800 had the same schematic as the Hafler DH200"

That should read: Same output stage as the DH200. The input is only a single ended diff input pair. The two pair of outputs was adequate for the DH200's 175W/4R, and inadequate for the PRC800's 300W/4R rating.

"I think my pair of PCR800's sound better than my ...."

I don't care to listen through polarized electrolytic caps in the signal path, no accounting for taste.

The lateral Hitachi type FETs tended to sound 'mushy' in the bass (unless you used way more per channel than what was on offer in most designs). This may be part of what reviewers called 'mosfet mist'.

The PCR amps bring a fair price on eBay, as do the Hafler. A good place for them.

OK ... Don't .. fuse your speakers

Duke, I guess you have simply been doing it wrong for all these years. You should only use fuses if they are audiophile grade have been cryogenically treated. Get with it man. (insert various smiley faces)

Good Luck,

-Tom