Sterophile starts vintage reviews this month-Fisher 500-C first up

Kind of a cool review.

Price escalation? Maybe

I would not want the complexity of a tube receiver; keping the tuner separate makes sense. Most techs specialize in one or the other.

I bet they do a classic turntable review before a classic CD player.9.gif

----------------

On 5/17/2005 6:16:04 AM silversport wrote:

...so when they do reiews on the "vintage" stuff, are they really checking the unit as if it was brand new as made or one that has been upgraded with possibly newer and better parts?

Bill

----------------

It looks like they are trying to measure for spec, and see what has had to be upgraded over time.

Note to RI: Grow up

The downside to the start of reviews of vintage gear is demand will start increasing and prices will climb. I wonder if it isn't better to be in a minority that 'know' the merits and value of vintage gear and can still afford to get them at a relatively low prices instead. On the plus side, perhaps I'll be able to sell my Scott 299B for more if it's reviewed.

From what I understand Stereophile is going to reveiw something vintage each month, I don't know if the reveiws will all be as positive as the Fisher 500C , but it should start a lot more interest in vintage gear, good for the sellers out there, but bad for the people trying to buy them, with the prices going up. I for one like what Stereophile is doing, I for one had no interest in a article about a $15,000 power amp I would never hear or buy and was getting kind of sick of the Mag. anyway until I saw this issue. 2.gif

That article was great... Of course, since the reviewer already owned 5 of those amps, he may have been a bit biased. :-)

Other amps Id love to see reviewed:

Dynaco Stereo 70 (the original one, not the newer model... they )

Eico HF-81

Scott 222 or 299

From the way that the Fisher review reads, it seems like it sounds better than even a Stereo-70, which I like a lot.

----------------

On 5/17/2005 10:04:01 AM franczyk wrote:

That article was great... Of course, since the reviewer already owned 5 of those amps, he may have been a bit biased. :-)

----------------

Or, he may really know what he's talking about.2.gif

BTW, I think you mean he's self-biassing? A little 500c humor there...

Yes, I can imagine that a lot of poorer audiophiles like myself will start to think about vintage and Ebay, and start the prices to go very high like the Heresys that are 20 years old on another thread on this forum going for more than $800. on ebay , just unreal. Stereophile to me only talked about $10,000 super amps that only the super rich would even think about buying, and now that more of the poorer audiophiles figure out that they can go to Ebay and pick up a Hi-end Mcintosh tube power amp and get it rebuilt all for under two grade, just watch the prices go insane. I'am sure glad I'am not in the market for anything of vintage audio right now.9.gif Like I said before good for the seller1.gif bad the buyer8.gif .