Trashed KLF-20s

texican58

Shots of my trashed KLF-20s. I purchased these things last week. I had them shipped via UPS using their agent Mailboxes, Etc for packaging.

I guess they must give the "packing" jobs to the newbies, because the only packing that was done was a thin cardboard box and peanuts?

These things were trashed when they got here. Here are some pics. Enjoy or cringe (as I did). When I see Klipsch speakers in pain, hurt, damaged, it affects me.

broken foot and grille pegs.jpg

post-17212-1381926493698_thumb.jpg

I must say that I was very eager just to hear these babies before UPS came and retrieved them, so I carefully re-assembled both units and secured them with shrink wrap (just to hold the units together) during testing.

Even without properly sealing these units, they still rock! It's a shame that i can't negotiate something w/ UPS where I could purchase what's left of these for $100. For that amount of money, I would completely disassemble these units and rebuild them using 3/4" plywood, and a new veneer job.

They wouldn't be 100% Klipsch, but they would still be awesome.

sp1a.jpg

Looks just like the packing job another UPS store did for (to) my Chorus IIs. 7.gif14.gif15.gif

EDIT: At the time of my reply I could only see the first photo. Wow, they really did a number on yours. I'm sorry to see that happen to you. Hopefully they'll make good on the claim so you can at least try again.

Also, just a thought here. You know their actuaries are going to parse every sentence and find any way they can to keep from paying you. Be sure to file your claim for damaged speaker CABINETS. After all, it's the cabinets that are the damaged part, so you're describing it accurately, right? Strip the components and build new cabs, like you said.

Sure it's gray, but it seems to me that's the game these days. Don't get screwed just because you're nice and they're "legal."

WOW! They beat the living crap out of those!

Most of the UPS store's packing jobs that I have seen are terrible and that is being nice. In addition, they charge you a premium price for their poor packing services. I spent 15 minutes cleaning the glue residue off a little Yamaha amp I got for my little girl due to the super cheap packing tape they used and did not have the sense to put it in a plastic bag before packing it!

All the adhesive stuck to the amp when I peeled off the tape and I had to remove it with lighter fluid and WD-40, then clean it with Glass Plus and I paid the seller $25.45 for this? Absolutely ridiculous! The shipping on the little amp should have been around $12-$15 tops! The seller was an *** as well, had the nerve to call me a whiner in my feedback, I hope it happens to them! I wonder how they would like it!

End of rant! 7.gif

I don't know exactly what they charged for the packing, but I do know that I paid him $195 for shipping and packing from SC. to TX. (5-day Ground).

My LaScalas were only $140 from MI. to TX. The KLFs weighed 90lbs each and the LaScalas were 130lbs each.

When I sold my KLF20's it wound up to be a local pickup. The buyer and I carefully wrapped them in bubble-wrap and then gently (like eggs)loaded them into his car.

What a waste of resources. BTW I now use FedEx ground. They are cheaper and better.

Also, my brother had to repair a pair of Chorus speakers. He said it looks like they dropped one of the speakers off the back of a truck. So of course when he fixed them he needed to carefully match the veneer. He got paid by UPS but it just was not worth the hassle/aggrevation.

Hopefully you will be reimbursed. The KLF20's are really nice. I just can't seem to keep anything too long. I really should buy KHorns and settle the issue.

It's real simple guys.

BIG HEAVY stuff gets dropped. It does, it will and I can guarantee it. Please STOP using shipping services for massive speakers. They WILL NOT arrive in one piece. Doesn't this just break your heart? It's not enough that the idiot non-English-speaking employees (sorry) at the 'shipping' stores think a few poly peanuts will keep a 70 pound speaker secure until it crosses this great country of ours. Every time I see this I think about the non-replaceable Klipsch Heritage product that met its demise for no good purpose.

Please use solid foam for shipping. Use freight carriers. If the package is considered 'oversize' or 'overweight' for the carrier, it means they DON'T WANT TO HANDLE IT! Fifty pound weight limit per box- period!

But the best option, one I ALWAYS PICK is pick em up yourself! My thinking is that if I don't care enough about 'em to go fetch 'em, I don't deserve 'em! (of course my time is worth nothing)

Michael

----------------

On 5/16/2005 1:43:13 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

But the best option, one I ALWAYS PICK is pick em up yourself! My thinking is that if I don't care enough about 'em to go fetch 'em, I don't deserve 'em! (of course my time is worth nothing)

Michael

----------------

For future reference, these particular speakers often do not move well at all! As many of you know, the glue on these speakers didn't bond well to the front and back boards. The result was often that the fronts/backs literally fall out (just like the pics). Obviously, UPS killed these speakers though. How sad. Sorry for your loss.

I picked mine up locally and took great pains to ensure gentle handling. Even so, the glue loosened up on mine. Upon repair, I found the front boards to be 80% loose 6.gif . Easy fix though. Well worth the effort to pick these babies up. A few $$ for liquid nails, and all was better.

I have KLF-C7 center speaker and noted the hot-glue construction method. Do you have to wait until they fall apart to re-glue em or did you apply the liquid nails like a caulking to all the interior joints you could get to?

Michael

Mitch- I didn't mean to sound harsh to you in my last post, just that we're seeing a LOT of damaged Heritage Klipsch lately.

----------------

On 5/16/2005 2:28:47 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Do you have to wait until they fall apart to re-glue em or did you apply the liquid nails like a caulking to all the interior joints you could get to?

Michael

----------------

Well, tech support encouraged me to smear it in all the joints and not to force apart the box. I didn't listen and I went ahead and "encouraged" the fronts off very carefully. The fronts were extremely loose - if you tapped on them with your knuckle, you could hear them rattle. My back pannels were still fairly secure, so I ended up smearing those joints from inside the box.

I've been wanting to inspect the boxes again now that they've been in use for a while. I figure that I can pass an incense stick along the seems during a good bass track and look for "puffing" of the smoke (to indicate spots where the box is breathing).

Obviously, I noticed a tightening of the bass after I fixed the joints...

what is really a shame is that in this great country of ours we have lazy morons working jobs that pay fairly well for being asked to move some boxes and they can't do it with a little pride. there is no excuse for these looking like that. the peanuts go OUTSIDE the speaker, and the boxes with contents go INSIDE the truck for the trip. it looks like they dragged these across the country behind the truck.

----------------

On 5/16/2005 9:28:58 PM jacksonbart wrote:

Does any one know if they are using the glue method with the reference series as well?

----------------

Are you referring to the "hot glue" type approach used on the Legends? If so, I am told that this problem was unique to the Legends. For that matter, I've only ever heard of it happening on the KLF-20's & KLF-30's. Not sure about the 10's or the C7.

I still can't believe how badly UPS destroyed those speakers!

"It's not enough that the idiot non-English-speaking employees (sorry) at the 'shipping' stores think a few poly peanuts will keep a 70 pound speaker secure until it crosses this great country of ours"

You have enlightened me! I now understand that every English speaking idiot I encounter is merely some sort of furriner who has somehow managed to learn English and speak it with no obvious heathen accent! Clever these non-Americans!

Did it ever occur to you that attitudes like yours go a long way toward explaining the hostility that so many people have toward America and Americans?BTW the ( sorry ) in your comment doesn't cut any ice!

Bummer about the speakers! While it is clear that the speakers were inadequately packed,I rather doubt that they would have escaped unscathed even if well packed. They look like they were run over by the truck(s)instead of transported in them.