Beginner Tube Set Up

rplace

My curiosity in an integrated tube amp is up. I admit I know just about nothing about tube gear. SET, Push/Pull, Matched pairsit is all Greek to me. Anyone got a good Tubes for Dummies site?

I see a lot of good things about Scott 229s. If, for the time being, we limit the discussion to Scotts what are some other good models to consider? I see 222s on ebay along with some others I also see some with an integrated FM tuner like the 340. Not planning on using this for much FM, but if it is a good tube amp to get my feet wet with no harm done.

Are the difference in letters (A/B/C) just the year made or power or what? Any other Scott advice greatly appreciated.

How complete do they need to be to have someone like Craig at NOS Valves work some magic on them. If you find one at a garage sale that does not even power up can they be saved or do you at least need to have one that is currently working but in need of some updating?

I am not looking to experiment. I either want to buy a project piece and ship it directly to Craig or buy one that is plug and play.

Thanks a ton, Rich

I found this document a taste of tubes that really helped explain things for me. I posted it once here

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=58675&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={363BC883-E2DB-43A3-BD37-F28B4257F242}

http://home.comcast.net/~enghenry/diy/taste.pdf

I tested the link it may take a minute to load the document though.

Good luck

Seti

A great tube amp for a beginer would be the Jolida 102b. Its inexpensive $549 and uses inexpensive el84 and 12ax7 tubes. i would say this is a much better idea than buying a used 30-40 year old tube amplifier. You never know what your getting with used stuff espcially older used stuff. The Jolida will be brand new with a warranty and will sound great. This amp has no business sounding as good as it does for that price. You would be hard pressed to find an amp even for $500 on the used market that will be much better. This is the perfect amp for a tube newby. Lots of people will reccomend the vintage stuff and theres nothing wrong with that but I think for a guy whos never used tubes before your better off with something new.

IMO, don't bother with the low-end Jolidas. They don't come close to the sound of a NOSValves restored Scott 299 or 222 series.

I'm sure someone around here has a rebuilt Scott for sale. The 299b was my first tube amp and I'll never get rid of it. It just sounds too good.1.gif

From all reports, when Craig's done with a Scott, it might as well be new with a warranty!

So many folks are so happy with those old Scott integrateds, I'd think it would be a safe bet, considering your plans. The only example I've got experience with wasn't given the NOSVlaves treatment until I sold it, unfortunately. Still sounded good, though. I've got an Altec integrated sitting in the basement waiting to be rebuilt. Not a priority, but I'm curious...

I've been eyeballing you guys talk about tubes and it all sounded foriegn to me. That was a good article. Is it possible to mix it up and use a tube amp for your mains and the receiver for your center and rears? I like the two channel stereo but would love to hear my klf 20's sing to some tubes.1.gif

----------------

On 5/19/2005 11:01:46 AM garymd wrote:

IMO, don't bother with the low-end Jolidas. They don't come close to the sound of a NOSValves restored Scott 299 or 222 series.

I'm sure someone around here has a rebuilt Scott for sale. The 299b was my first tube amp and I'll never get rid of it. It just sounds too good.
1.gif

----------------

I agree Gary. A refreshed upper grade set up is a better route to travel. Not only does the sound of the Jolida's lack in compairison, I don't think that i could stand the poor track record of the Jolidas quality. IMHO

Roy

----------------

On 5/19/2005 11:01:46 AM garymd wrote:

I'm sure someone around here has a rebuilt Scott for sale. The 299b was my first tube amp and I'll never get rid of it. It just sounds too good.
1.gif

----------------

I was trapped by my old mindset of '17 watts surely aren't enough". So I went with a larger, more 'powerful' tube amp.

I also jumped on the 299b when the chance presented itself, having heard one in Georgia at Mark1101's home. They are fine, especially when Craig at NOSValves weaves his artistry on them.

Woo

Thanks for the info so far. I see we are up to 229 and 222. Any others? At this site

Scott Site

I found out a little about the power of the 229 and 222.

I have also found a couple for auction. Some working some not. Some with case some with out. If I want it to look "nice" do I need to find a complete one or can you get the knobs and cases if you are willing to look/wait?

I got a message out to Craig...but he is rather busy. How complete does one need to be? Since Craig replaces the caps and rebuilds the power supply I would think it would not have to work, but more or less be intact.

Hello, I just hit the buy it now on a Scott 299B for $225.00 with shipping included. The guy says he's been using it with no troubles for awhile. My Fisher died,and it's in a box to go to Craig.So I hope the Scott will fill in the void,and it's a decent amp to own.

Larry

Rich,

It's "299" not "229" although for all I know there could be such an animal. Just didn't want you to waste time searching the net for a Scott 229.12.gif The 299 series went from "A" (or nothing) to "D", the higher the letter, the more power (doesn't necessesarily make it more desirable though). Also look for the "LK" series which were the kits for the DIY'ers. Check the Scott site to match them up.

When you drop by the house next time, you can hear my 299b. I think you'll be amazed what 17 wpc can sound like.

careful: going to garys house can cost you alot of money9.gif , i was and still am a tube newbie, i will say the more complete an amp is the better if you buy one, i have heard garys 299 and beleive me it is an awsome beast it kicked the hell out of my 200 wpc phase linear amps, i have since purchased a blueberry (gary has one of these also) and ordered a set of craigs vrd's, i also am using a old dynaco st 70 that needs a tuneup badly but it still sounds better than the phase gear did. lastly i would agree that it will make more since to buy a vintage scott over newer low end gear. AFTERALL I HAVE BEEN TO GARYS AND NOW IM BROKE 9.gif10.gif Joe