Projector and screen questions for a 2 channel guy!

charlieboy

Ok I really like watching movies but am a hardcore 2 channel guy. I was thinking if I got a screen it could be up when not in use and would not get in the way of my 2 channel listening. Ant suggestions on projectors or screens. 60-90 inches is fine. I was thinking of mounting the projector where my ceiling fan was since theres power there and it is dead center in my 20x2ft room. Either that or a plasma.I think anything else would not be acceptable for serious 2 channel listening. Any thoughts?

I purchased an Infocus 4805 when they were having the Super Bowl special where you got the projector, pull down screen, and long (50ft?) S-video cable for $1000. Very happy with the projector. The screen is OK too but a bit small for my application. I haven't checked recently but I am sure you can find similar deals out there.

Dave H

The projector option is quite nice. But things you need to consider:

Throw distance: This is how far away the projector must be from the screen to give a specific picture size. Go to the Infocus web site and there is a handy calculator. This is also on spec sheets. The zoom adjustments on HT projectors is very limited and only intended for fine tuning. If you put the Infocus 4805 in the middle of the 20 foot room, that is 10 feet from the wall and will result in a diagonal of 60 to 72 inches. You may want something bigger!

Wiring: S-Video is nice, but if you are riping out walls in order to pass cable, Pass everything at once: Composite Video (in case you want to view from a VCR, Component Video (for great progressive scan DVD and Current HD), and HDMI/DVI (for best DVD and possible future HD signals). A note on S-Video cable. Get a good quality one. I spent months trying to figure out why the S-Video performance of the Infocus 4805 was so bad until I found that it was a poor quality S-Video cable that was picking up interference from the many other cables and wires that it was bundled with.

Lighing. A projector is great, but lights must be dim, and therefore the only thing you can do is watch the screen. It is too dark for other activities such as wife reading book, kids playing games etc. So if this is your main family viewing area, consider a DLP or LCD rear projector TV or Plasma instead.

Projector mount. The pojector must be aimed at the screen. You need some sort of adjustable projector mount. Buy one or make one, but it is critical. Keep in mind that projectors are designed to be right side up on a table projecting up to a screen or upside down on a ceiling projecting down to a screen. If mounted upside down from the ceiling it is best to have the lens as close to the top of the screen as possible to minimise the need for keystone adjustments.

if your going with the s-video connection instead of the HDMI... its worthless to spend 1000's of dollars on measley s-video cable.

www.pccables.com

i got 75ft of s-video cable to connect my computer to my bigscreen for 15$

works perfectly fine

i dont see the point in spending tons of money on cables that are not top of the line quality wise

thats my 2 cents

There are decent pull down screens (da-lite) comes to mind and numerous built in automated screens that will drop down and retract. Da-Lite also has a cool portable job that sets on the ground and pulls up and stays in place.

The fan sounds like a good idea since power is there, but you have to consider the location of the projector to the screen. Obviously, too close and the picture is small too far and the picture might spill over the screen. Look at the projectors lens throw this will give you max and min distance for a given size screen. Not sure of you particular application but they make perforated screens as well. These allow the sound from speakers to go through the screen but still display a projected image. Maybe you can get a screen to drop down from the ceiling and in essence make a wall of screen to cover khorns and other stuff in the room then disappear when not in use.

In my opinion a screen/projector is the way to go to get that movie theater feel. However, you need control of the light in the room. If there are lots of windows that cannot be darkened then plasma might fit the bill.

Tell us more about your room and desires. Are you planning 5.1 in addition to the 2 channel? I use khorns for 2 channel and as my main L/R in home theater. However I have just about the opposite room. It was built more as a theater with 2 channel use.

Ok I guess I was a little vauge. I currently have a 46" Toshiba HDTV with hdtv DSS and a full 6.1 setup with khorns as mains with cornwalls and heresys for center and surrounds. I just want the tv out of the way as I feel it's getting of the way of my 2 channel depth and imaging. Plus I want to treat the front wall.Oh and light is not an issue there is no stray light when viewing.

If light is not an issue I would strongly suggest a screen/projector over plasma. Larger picture and it feels like a theater. Will a fixed screen work? Advantages are very flat, defined border for killing stray, slightly overlapping image, and depending on your point of view it looks pretty cool.

I have not done it but would think that you could treat the entire wall then put the fixed screen over the top. Others will probably jump in here and give you more info then I can if that is practical or negates the treatment.

My screen bottom is just about at the top of my khorns and my center channel (chorus I) fits under the screen and is about a foot in front of the wall so the khorn corner/wall sound is not blocked. Cool thing about the C1 is no passive in the back.

FrontLightOn.JPG

Sounds like you are well on your way with the speakers and equipment.

If you consider a fixed screen I cant stress enough how happy I am with my 2:35 to 1 AR screen. I originally thought I should get the AR of my projector but not so. With so many DVDs at 1:85 or 2:35 it really is nice getting a full picture top to bottom no matter what the image is. Check out my earlier thread on this http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=59705

Good luck and keep the questions coming, Rich

Charlie, I went for the Panasonic AE700-u. It's the cheapest, best way to go 1280x720 (720p). It's a little weak on black level being an LCD, but man colours are awesome. It's rated the best low-cost projector on www.projectorcentral.com

One thing you will love is that is has the best throw distance I've seen. I have it on top of bookshelves at the back of my 16' long room and can go as small as 4' diag to 10' (roughly).

I bought a da-lite matte white screen. I think I should have gone for a grey-screen with this projector. I need a bit of help bringing the blacks down. But don't let that scare you off the AE700u. It's amazing, and I could not be happier until the really epensiv projectors get far more affordable.

----------------

On 5/24/2005 10:52:24 AM rplace wrote:

If you consider a fixed screen I can’t stress enough how happy I am with my 2:35 to 1 AR screen. I originally thought I should get the AR of my projector but not so. With so many DVDs at 1:85 or 2:35 it really is nice getting a full picture top to bottom no matter what the image is. Check out my earlier thread on this http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=59705

Good luck and keep the questions coming, Rich

----------------

[/blockquote

Rich,

For $500 (while supplies last) Panamorph is selling its discontinued anamorphic lens. Put that in front of your projector's lens and you'll not only lose the black bars on the side but improve image quality on 2:35 films!